Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking For An '870 Block For A '65

Corvette
1965 Corvette Convertible
My block casting date is B1'65.

Interested in one not bored over .030.

Specifics on my original block (3782870) are FO302HF. An HF or since I'm converting her to a 365 horse version that year, an HK, HL or an HM code would work with a build date code in the range between September '64 and February '65.

IM or e-mail me @ jkaram@wideopenwest.com

Thanks!

Jim

Jim, methinks you could also use an "HH" coded block too, for that 365 mt application you seem to be shopping for.

I have one curiousity question - if you, for instance, obtain the cast-date correct and assembly date correct HM coded block for example, are you going to put a/c and trans ig in the car to match it up? If not, won't you always have an obviously NOM in there, not even a perfect "restoration motor" - so what is gained by the exercise? I guess I would agree that there is some intrinsic value to having a NOM but same year / L76 Corvette block in the car.

ctjackster, you're right about including the HH block. You know this question of value get's a little tough to put your arms around. I could get hung up in my underwear thinking this one through. For example, my '5 has the following mechanicals that were in the car, to the best of my judgement (I will have owned this '5 23 years this July), when it was built:

3.36:1 Open Rear (AK) .... has a 3.70:1 posi in her now
M-20 4 speed (last 6 #s of the VIN are stamped on the case
Engine: 327/300 horse from pan to carb

So, she's pretty much a base car.

Exceptions: replacement GM water pump, upgraded master cylinder to a '67 dual type, added an MSD6AL box, upgraded to stainless calipers and flex lines all around, added factory side exhausts (were not on this particular car when built...had the tabs)

All of what I've taken off the motor in this conversion process is mothballed away with the exception of the water pump which is "long gone."

So, the question is when and if I sold, would the perceived value be enhanced by the fact that the original components would go with the car (for the purist who would want to bring it back to factory stock). Now, if the original block, repairable or not, is replaced....is the perceived value greater with a time built code "870" block verses any 327...realizing the original block with the VIN#s on it would go with car.

That's the "$64.00" question. Given all these facts, what would the car bring in the open market today? "Whatever a buyer and seller agree to", right? Maybe there is no additional value for having the original block, maybe usable, going with the car.

Another way of looking at this: How much value is lost if the original motor is not in the car?

and: How much, if any, value is there in having a correct date coded block?

and or: Is there no difference in the market place having a date coded correct block verses any 327 block?

Is it a fine line?

You tell me.

My whole approach to this '5 was Restofication. I put her together to drive her. I do have plans to add aftermarket air. I am not going to portray this '5 as a "real 365 horse" car. I am going to let people know that I enjoy the solid lifter route and chose to change the original, stock setup to "mirror" the 365 horse setup...within the limits of my backpocket ('cause you can go nuts on this).

Oh, almost forgot, I like that big block '5 & '6 look so much I put a big block hood on her...yup, the small block hood's in the basement, covered.

So the casual car lover will just drool over this while the purists will throw rocks at her. I'm trying to keep some middle ground where the "visuals" say 365 horse, knowing the pedigreed is 300 horse.

Hey ctjackster thanks for looking out for me. Some food for thought. Your thoughts?

Regards,

Jim

Mr. Moderator:

Sorry I got verbose above. Looking back at this you may want to move this to the Discussion forum for '63-67's.

Thanks!

Jim

all the same thoughts I have on this matter, Jim. I have asked myself - "what if I blow up the original 365 HH code motor?" I have even gone so far as to almost acquire a date correct HH block to keep around as a spare (no I would not re-stamp it with my serial number). But another side of me says "if I blow up the original motor (and watch 25% of the car's re-sale value vanish) I will go the SERIOUS NOM route - finally free of correctness, I might just put the baddest crate motor in there, and save all the 365 bits from the busted motor for the next guy. I dunno.

ps - I too have a 65 BB hood on my 65 L76 - it came like that, and even though the car is otherwise original, and as I touch things to un-Bubba them I bring them back to original or source best repro parts (except tires, no need to get silly), I really LIKE that 65-66 BB hood (Personally never cared much for the 67 stinger hood myelf, plus it would look waay wrong on a 65) So chalk me up as another 65 SB sporting the BB hood! That makes the car easily-spotted (by Vette knowledge freaks like all of us here) as inconsistent/wrong, because I do not have the BB emblems on the side. I also have half a mind to acquire a SB hood so I have one around should I ever want to go "fully correct" and pursue some flight judging.

ctjackster said:
ps - I too have a 65 BB hood on my 65 L76 - it came like that, and even though the car is otherwise original, and as I touch things to un-Bubba them I bring them back to original or source best repro parts (except tires, no need to get silly), I really LIKE that 65-66 BB hood (Personally never cared much for the 67 stinger hood myelf, plus it would look waay wrong on a 65) So chalk me up as another 65 SB sporting the BB hood! That makes the car easily-spotted (by Vette knowledge freaks like all of us here) as inconsistent/wrong, because I do not have the BB emblems on the side. I also have half a mind to acquire a SB hood so I have one around should I ever want to go "fully correct" and pursue some flight judging.

funny how peoples tastes vary. I have a mostly original '65 with the 365hp SB (facory sidepipes added afterwards). I still have the original and correct SB hood. I like the look of the '65 BB hood but love '67 Stinger hood. I'd like to find a stinger hood and have it installed on my car and keep the original in the basement in case I ever sell the car. I know having the Stinger is FAR from correct but i'm not having the car judged so I figure if I like it than why not and as long as I have the original hood to go with the car than great.
My good friend also has a '65 with the 350hp SB and when he bought it a previous owner already changed the hood to the '65 BB hood but unfortunatly sold the original hood. he wants to find an original '65 SB hood (not a reproduction) to just have and keep in case he ever sells the car although he never intends to install it on the car as he also loves the BB hood look.
Yes, the true purest would cringe at a BB hood on a SB car, especially a Stinger hood on a '65, but most all else is correct on my car except for sidepipes and tires and since i'm the owner I should be able to enjoy it the way I wish. Also, I plan on adding bolt-on knock-offs simply because I love the look (don't want "real" KO's because of many horror stories I hear about them).

Mi chiamo sergio scrivo da nova milanese Milano, sto ' cercando un motore per una chevrolet corvett del 1967. sara' veramente un impresa visto che il mioinglese lascia a desiderare.

Cerco un appasionato che possa darmi una mano ad acquistare negli usa..
il numero di tel 0362365068

la mia e mail uff.acquisti@eurotubieuropa.it
disponibilità contante e trasporto a mio carico.

aiutatemi................

sergio eurotub said:
Mi chiamo sergio scrivo da nova milanese Milano, sto ' cercando un motore per una chevrolet corvett del 1967. sara' veramente un impresa visto che il mioinglese lascia a desiderare.

Cerco un appasionato che possa darmi una mano ad acquistare negli usa..
il numero di tel 0362365068

la mia e mail uff.acquisti@eurotubieuropa.it
disponibilità contante e trasporto a mio carico.

aiutatemi................

Believe it's someone looking for a 67 vette motor, anybody speak Italian?

How about A85 with F0128HL from vin #9087

I have a good friend that has his complete engine from the above car that he still owns. It is the original motor from his silver 65 coupe that originally had a 365hp TI engine. It is complete from intake to oil pan and was runnng when removed from the car. His delimina is the car was smacked years ago, and now has a complete 67 body and interior installed on the 65 frame and trim tag and vin tag. He just doesn't know if he should 'save' it for the future.

He is 'THINKING' about selling the motor for $1500. He lives in Vancouver, Washington

vettefinderjim said:
I have a good friend that has his complete engine from the above car that he still owns. It is the original motor from his silver 65 coupe that originally had a 365hp TI engine. It is complete from intake to oil pan and was runnng when removed from the car. His delimina is the car was smacked years ago, and now has a complete 67 body and interior installed on the 65 frame and trim tag and vin tag. He just doesn't know if he should 'save' it for the future.

He is 'THINKING' about selling the motor for $1500. He lives in Vancouver, Washington

I have a 64 and I am looking for a late 63 date coded 327 x 365hp. Not sure if this year motor is the 3782870 block, and 3782461 heads etc.....
Does it still have carb?

If he still has this motor, could you provide me with any more information etc...such as if ever been bored, or had motor work done? Condition....

Thanks in Advance,
David

Sold car and engine

The Corvette market is very hot right now........These items sold in July.

What is the vin # on your car? I can help your find the build date......then the correct engine should be about two to three weeks BEFORE.

Good luck. Watch eBay under eBay motors.......collector car.......parts and accessories......engines. Then look for a 3782870 engine with the proper casting date for your car. All Chevrolet passanger cars used the sale 250hp and 300hp engine.The 365 engine used the same block and heads.......but with 2.02 intake valves, 6 QT oil pan, and a 3844461 aluminum intake

1964 Coupe Saddle/Saddle Radio delete with 327 x 365hp (RE or RR)

The vin is 05342 I believe the born on date (approx) is Nov 19th, 1963.

Current motor is cludge of 64-67 parts. Trying to find correct stuff to rebuild....

Any help locating parts would truly be appreciated.

I already have correct intake and 461 correct dated heads....

Need 870 block, 2818 Holley (p/n 3849804)....etc.

Again Thanks
David

vettefinderjim said:

Has he sold it yet? Does he desire to?

1965 vette 327/350 or 360 hp

Looking for a 65 engine 327 350 or 360 hp short, long or complete engine. Assembly date of car is 10 Nov 64. Casting date should preceed. Any offerers?

late 63 block

Roadking96 said:
I have a 64 and I am looking for a late 63 date coded 327 x 365hp. Not sure if this year motor is the 3782870 block, and 3782461 heads etc.....
Does it still have carb?

If he still has this motor, could you provide me with any more information etc...such as if ever been bored, or had motor work done? Condition....

Thanks in Advance,
David
David,
I have an 870 block date is F-28-3...might not be late enough? Also have several sets of 461 heads
hchill@aye.net

Got one

brumbach said:
Looking for a 65 engine 327 350 or 360 hp short, long or complete engine. Assembly date of car is 10 Nov 64. Casting date should preceed. Any offerers?
I've got a F-9-4 BARE Block 870 with pad FO615RE and serial number 4120137

This is an interesting discussion. I'll copy it to the discussion forums so it can be viewed from both forums.

Tom

In response to the orginal question, in my opinion, if you want to take the original block out to save and then you plan to drive the car for fun, the most fun in a small block would be a 383 made from a 350 block. Alternatively look for a 400 block. Size and weight are the same as a 327.

Cubic Inches make torque. You can use a reasonbly streetable cam (solid or hydraulic) and have more power over a broader range compared to a 327. Torque, not horsepower, is what presses you back in the seat.:D

Dave
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom