Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking for Disk Brake Converstion Kit for my '62

rkew

Corvette
Roman Red '62 and Competition Yellow '91 Coupe
I'm considering converting the front drums on my '62 to disk. Can anybody recommend a good conversion kit (decent price and good/dependable product)? I ran across a couple online (mpbrakes and vansteel), which run between $800-$900 with the master cylinder.

Thanks,

Ryan

Don't use Stainless Steel Brake Corp. They use single piston calipers (not shown in description) and customer service is pretty poor. Also the mastercylinder you get is for non-power brakes.
That's my personal experience.

Thanks for the reply. I noticed single piston calipers in one of the kits I saw online.

I was looking at front disk about a year ago for my 61. I thought I remembered something about there not being enough room for power brakes, but I could be wrong. I will look tonight and see if I still have any of that literature around.

One more thing. I agree that single piston isn't optimum but it is still 100 times better than the old front drum brakes. I remember a few close calls back in the day.

Yeah, I agree with you on the single-piston caliper being better than a drum setup.

I thought about the power booster thing too, but primarily because I didn't want to mount one in an engine bay that didn't originally come with one. Based on some information I read www.mpbrakes.com (http://www.mpbrakes.com/morp.htm), it's not necessary to add a booster for the brakes to work properly. Not adding it will just require a little more pedal pressure on my part.

One of the kits I found (again on mpbrakes.com), sells for $798 and bolts to the stock spindles.

I found something... In Hemming Motor News April 2003 (as well as many other issues) in the Corvette parts section page 415 an ad for a disk brake kit including dual master (non power), rotors, calipers (look like single piston), pads, bearings, hoses, seals, brackets, hardware, dust caps & bolts. I also have a note that they said they would include a proportioning valve. Price $649.00

Auto City Classic 800-828-2212. Doesn't say where they are.

They seem to specialize in a narrow focus of C1 parts. I don't know anything of their reputation but maybe they can fill you in on who supplies them with these parts. I would imagine they are standard industry parts except for the brackets. Now you have me thinking again about doing this conversion myself.

Good find. Here's the scoop from Auto City Classic (located in MN, I talked to a guy named Denny, very helpful).

The front disk kit is $649 plus about $40 for shipping. It includes the master cylinder, proportioning valve, 11-inch rotors, single piston calipers, pads, hardware, etc. Just about everything you need except the lines that run from the proportioning valve to the hose connection. You'll have to fab those yourself.

The calipers are re-built calipers, typically from '69-'72 or '78-'87 Chevelles, so replacement parts (pads, seals, etc.) are easy to get if you ever need to replace anything.

The also sell a rear disk conversion kit that utilizes rear rotors from 80's-style Seville's. It costs $499 plus shipping and comes with a proportioning valve for a front & rear disk setup.

Both kits are in stock and delivery time should be less than a week.

They also sell windshields for C1's ($189 + $85 shipping for non-date coded glass and $269 + shipping for coded glass), gas tanks ($169 + $25 S&H), and power window kits.

The Auto Cities kit sounds like the kit from Stainless Steel Brake Corp. I got mine thru my local performance parts house for $595 and includes everything. Everything is new not rebuilt. The master cylinder is a dual but for non power brakes. You can go buy a power dual master cylinder from Advance Auto Parts for about $40, switch them out and return. Sneaky but I did it. Better yet Advance sells a complete power booster and mastercylinder, get this, for $99 and has a lifetime warranty I believe.

If I had to do again I would go with the booster/ master cylinder combo. Brackets from SSB corporation. Hubs, rotars and pads from a camaro, a $50 proportioning valve, and make up the 1 short brake lines that is needed and you're done. You're looking at about $350 plus whatever SSB corp. wants for the caliper brackets.

Obviously none of this would be original but like Studiog said it's alot safer than drum brakes, especially the way I drive.

I said earlier that I didn't like SSBC, and I don't, but bottom line is that they are much cheaper than a 'good original looking' setup.

That's my $.02

BLACK MOON said:
If I had to do again I would go with the booster/ master cylinder combo. Brackets from SSB corporation. Hubs, rotars and pads from a camaro, a $50 proportioning valve, and make up the 1 short brake lines that is needed and you're done. You're looking at about $350 plus whatever SSB corp. wants for the caliper brackets.
Very interesting Black Moon and good advice. If you put this kit together yourself it becomes a very attractive deal. Would you know what year Camaro you would get the hubs, calipers, pads, and rotors from to match SSB's brackets and would they sell just the brackets?

studiog said:
Very interesting Black Moon and good advice. If you put this kit together yourself it becomes a very attractive deal. Would you know what year Camaro you would get the hubs, calipers, pads, and rotors from to match SSB's brackets and would they sell just the brackets?

I don't remember but I'd call and ask them what pads they use and then go from there. They were new hubs, bearings and rotars and I'm sure they didn't produce them. I'm in the process of disassembling mine to do a restoration. I'll look for part numbers when I get the body off and have some time.

These kits use the large single calipers out of 70's F/A-body cars..simple, cheap, reliable - more than adaquate to haul down a C1 quickly. Forget about a booster, even the smallest 7" dia. units will never fit on the tight C1 firewall, they're unneccessary on the lightweight C1 anyway. The MC they all use is an iron, dual unit that requires a 2" long adapter/extender to place it lower-to clear hood, and inboard-to clear fender (interferes with Fuelie air cleaners btw). I don't know why they haven't sourced a good low-profile plastic or alum, dual MC that doesn't require that silly adapter ($ I suspect) ? Good rear DB kits use the 80's Seville single rear caliper (integrated emergency brake) and rotor. The cheaper rear DB kits use the 80's Thunderbird dual calipers (less clamping force than the Seville). Caliper brackets can be found seperately on eBay for home brew kits. :beer

Thanks for the info Viking427. Although I was pretty set on not trying to mount a power booster to the C1 firewall, your advice clinched the deal. Yeah, I noticed the extended adapter on the master cylinder. Additonally, a buddy of mine said the same thing about the 80's Seville setup (integrated emergency brake). I'm all set now.

A friend of mine put front disks in an old Mustang and loved the performance. A bit latter on he also put in rear disks and said he wouldn't do it again as the performance gain from the rear disks seemed minimal.
BTW Thanks everyone for the very helpful info.

And rkew I apologize for butting in on your topic.:Buttslap

studiog,

Don't mention it. The more the merrier, and thanks for the tip on the rear disks. A buddy of mine said the same exact thing (rear disks will make a minimal difference).

Keep me posted on whether or not you move forward with the front disk conversion on your '61. I'll probably make a purchase and do the installation before the end of Feburary. I'll let you know how it goes.

rkew

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom