Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking for dual exhaust system

Booie

Corvette
1979 Dark Green L-48 Coupe
Anyone know where I can get a complete dual exhaust system. I've looked in all the catalogs and online. I want a dual system with two high flow cats soI don't have any trouble passing NY state inspection. I can find systems but they don't offer the cats. Is there a system I should buy and just cut the pipes for the cats. And should I use stainless or aluminized what are your thoughts. Thanks and :wSave the WAVE
Bruce

I had the same questions when I wanted dual exhausts on my car. I decided on a muffler and went to an exhaust shop and had them install it. A very professional job that sounds great. I've got pictures and a sound bite on my web site.

These were recommended to me for my 81....these are Magnaflow, described as Catalytic Converter, Metallic-Cat, 59950, Universal, 2.50 in. Inlet/Outlet, Each 133.99 Cdn dollars...here is a link to the picture....I opted out of this solution for the time being, running just the pipes and mufflers.....it will depend how loud the exhaust is as to whether I will add these, not to mention the tighter emmission laws on the horizon....hope this helps....the price quoted above is from a supplier in eastern ontario back in January......you should be able to do better.....dbj

http://www.car-sound.com/02product/universal/599spun.asp

your car is exempt in NY

recheck the law

easy way to do a 2.5 inch is to buy the factory style labeled off road, both ecklers and mid america have them ... check walker for a less costly solution .. if

you want cats you can put them on from magnaflow or any other aftermarket as they are not that hard to put on ....

i used the factory 2.5 on my car and it fit nicely

Anyone know where I can get a complete dual exhaust system. I've looked in all the catalogs and online. I want a dual system with two high flow cats soI don't have any trouble passing NY state inspection. I can find systems but they don't offer the cats. Is there a system I should buy and just cut the pipes for the cats. And should I use stainless or aluminized what are your thoughts. Thanks and :wSave the WAVE
Bruce

Technically, using 2 Cats, where only one came from the factory, is a violation of Federal and probably State law, concerning modifying emission systems. This would be picked up on a strict visual inspection.

Check with a local exhaust shop. They should confirm this.

Technically, using 2 Cats, where only one came from the factory, is a violation of Federal and probably State law, concerning modifying emission systems.

That is true.

your car is exempt in NY

That is not.

Your car may currently be exempt from current emissions testing but if that changes, the Feds will expect your car to have the original emissions equipment on it.

That is true.

That is not.

Your car may currently be exempt from current emissions testing but if that changes, the Feds will expect your car to have the original emissions equipment on it.

look i am not here to debate this. read the NYS inspection rules and regulations.. it is clearly stated. Cars 25 years or older are exempt from emission inspections.....

as far as future laws go whatever floats your boat ... we can debate which whacked out group of special interests dominates the people ...

the fact remains we (the car hobby) lobbied hard over the 25 year "antique" exemption .... hell I drove the car 475 miles last year... talk about worrying about a pin in the ocean... most of us with heavily modified cars just do not drive a lot other than to nearby shows and the track... long trips are just not what the car is for

that is why we successfully lobbied our State...

In colorado the twin catted car will be put on the machine and roller tested.. if it passes you win... Most of the states that I have looked at that do harrass older cars at least let you pass an actual emission test ....

but I digress.... just do not say that NY has emission inspections for a 1979 car.... that would be wrong

Cars 25 years or older are exempt from emission inspections.....

I think that's what I said. The car is exempt from inspections but not from being in compliance with the regulations. That is the same exemption we have in Georgia.

However, any LEO that pulls you over can inspect your car and cite you for an emissions violation if you have changed it.

My car is changed and I'm fully aware of the risk. While it is small, members have been called on it. Ask Heidi.

.... just do not say that NY has emission inspections for a 1979 car.... that would be wrong

I never said that.

According to an article on Yahooo Auto

Federal law makes it illegal for ANYONE to tamper with, disconnect, remove or otherwise render inoperative ANY emissions-related control device. The Environmental Protection Agency and most states have actually been rather lax about enforcing this rule on motorists, but they haven’t hesitated to nail professional service facilities that have been guilty of tampering. Even so, the fines can be hefty. A violation may make you liable for up to a $2,500 fine!

Well I didn't know this would start such a debate on the legal issues of emissions.
I did go to a couple shops in the area and they told me they couldn't remove any emissson control devices that were required when the car was built they also told me that if I removed them I may have to make the car compliant in the future. But that being said I found a shop that did want I was looking for 2.25 inch pipes off the manifolds into the high flow cats 2 nice flowing mufflers out the back the job looks great and it got a nice sound too it and not to loud in the car. I also had it done in the stainless steel. And they said it is perfect legal for NY state inspections. Thanks to all for your input. Bruce

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom