Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking for muffler suggestions!

Edmond

Corvette
2003 Z06
I'm going to replace the mufflers this winter and would definitely do a cat back system since the original is rusted.

Anyone have any experiences?
Should I stay away from any particulars?

I'm really looking for a nice low tone that's not terrible at a cruise. Practical enough for everyday driving.

Thanks

I did alot of homework with mufflers heres what I came up with

The Flowmaster is a good inexpensive performance muffers however I have gotten alot of feedback saying they dont last long or are not as good as they say so forth

Borla are BEAUTIFUL mufflers ALL stainless steel however they're CFM rating is really good but you PAY ALOT for these so I figured bang for the buck was in order ya know

Corsa is a great Alternative to Borla they can get pricey to but on the most part they perform similar to Borla (sometimes better) and usually cheaper! Nice system

DynoMax these are the ones I picked simply because of they're performace they have a CFM rating of over 1100 and come in Stainless and Galvinized. They also have a Turbo Muffler that is decent

DynoMax says that
Flowmaster=435 CFM
Gibson=311 CFM
Edelbrock=640CFM
DynoMax=1133 CFM

These are the Welded Galvin versions

If you got some bucks but go for gold

Flowmaster=352 CFM
Edelbrock=579 CFM
Borla=836 CFM
Dynomax=1000 CFM

These ones are the Stainless Versions

I personally went with the Welded ones I rarely drive in the rain and Never in snow so I figure they'll last me a long long time the stainless (for what I got) didnt seem like it was worth the extra 30% or better and I like the look of these Dynomax's

Some say Im wrong but what the hell

:beer :beer

Forgot to mention

My site wil be up in the spring/summer I will have posted Pictures build ups Perf Mods and Sounds!

Reason why I mention it is because these Dynomax sound GREAT!!:D :D :D

I know this isn't quite a comparison, but I heard Flowmaster's on a Mustang GT before and it sounded kind of tame.

I have heard a Tri-Flo on a ZR-1 and that was hell raising to say the least.

Last I checked in Eckler's, they wanted $525.00 for a pair of Borla's. Corsa is about $500.00 I believe.

Do you really "feel" a difference with high performance mufflers?
Also, are the stock headers enough to take advantage of the high performance mufflers? I saw Lingenfelter high performance headers, but they we're too high for me $700.00!!!!

Price Vs. Sound

Hello Bullwinkle !

I would like to get y .02 in on your question. I also was asking the same question, having just recently purchased a 'vette, and wanted to get a more aggressive exhaust note, while not giving myself a headache everytime I fired it up ! I purchased a set of DynoMax UltraFlow mufflers off of e-bay for $70, and they appeared to be brand new. I have not installed them yet, however I have heard from a couple of other people that I will be pleased with the tone. I recently removed the factory resonator, and although there wasn't a large difference in the exhaust note at idle, as my engine climbed into the higher RPM's, the note really started rippin' ! I was pleased with that one little change, and it only cost me $45. I strongly urge you to check e-bay, and you may be surprised at what you get ! I will let you know how my car sounds after I get the UltraFlows installed.

:w
Steve.:w

Cola,
Yes, please let me know. I have checked out eBay for various exhaust items; I just love eBay anyways! I bought my K&N air filter off eBay. I'm thinking about the air foil next because they have people using the "Buy It Now" for $30, which I think is a small price to pay for a claimed 11+ HP.

I have seen Borla and some Flowmasters, but no Tri-Flo or Corsa. I even saw someone sell a certificate that would be good for 50% off a single Borla purchase, don't recall what it went for though.

Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Corsa

BullWinkle,
I've done Corsa's system and am very, very, pleased. Sound is perfect, quiet at cruise, but loud on acceleration and high RPM's. All S.S. construction including clamps and hardware. Cost is not cheap!

But, You will not find Corsa systems for sale on e-bay, because everyone who has them, loves them too much to sell them! Think about that!

It's a Cat back system that you can install yourshelf.

Good Luck,
Tom

fastglass,
I was kind of hoping to catch one of those guys who was selling their car and was putting the original equipment back on it. That's the reason the guy gave me for the Borla cat back system. He was selling it and wanted to put the OE back on.

I'm really trying to look for a good deal because I'm so poor, living paycheck to paycheck really stinks!

My 2nd choice

If money is a concern, I would go with the muffler eliminators with your choice of tips. Some people have had this done by an exhaust shop, custom fabricated and installed. I had these on my old 95 (now gone :cry ). I ordered them from Mid America Designs with the C5 tips and was very happy with them for the price! Sound was pretty good, had a little resonance at certian rpm's under load, but otherwise were a good choice.

But I would still stick with the Corsa System if you could afford it. (around $950 for Corsa's and $150 for muffler eliminators)

Re: My 2nd choice

fastglass95 said:
If money is a concern, I would go with the muffler eliminators with your choice of tips. Some people have had this done by an exhaust shop, custom fabricated and installed. I had these on my old 95 (now gone :cry ). I ordered them from Mid America Designs with the C5 tips and was very happy with them for the price! Sound was pretty good, had a little resonance at certian rpm's under load, but otherwise were a good choice.

But I would still stick with the Corsa System if you could afford it. (around $950 for Corsa's and $150 for muffler eliminators)

Fastglass95 is absolutely right! The muffler eliminators gave me exactly the sound I was looking for at a small price. If $$ is the issue, I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Lemon Peel aka Elaine

Mufflers-----------

I'm using the Dyno-Max Ultra-Flo Stainless mufflers, they tuck up underneathe the body like OEM and sound great, not too loud. Just right! Sounds great when you get on it. Have had them on for over 5 years now and they look as good as the day I put them on.

Would muffler eliminators give me any problems with the emissions part? I'm here in Cook County, Illinois and they can be real idiots about it! They're so bad over there, I don't think anyone with a manual transmission can get tested over there because no one can drive a stick. And one time, I went in for a test and they were playing with the damn radio instead of testing the car. Nonetheless, I filed and complaint and haven't seen any of those guys working there. Sorry to rant like that.

Emissions...

Bullwinkle,
I asked the very same question about eliminators affecting emissions. I was told there would be no effect at all...and there wasn't!

Lemon Peel aka Elaine

The mufflers are NOT part of the emissions system. The exhaust would be checked during the saftey inspection for leaks and thats it.

BullWinkle, I've got the same type of testing in St. Louis,MO. and mine passed fine.

Doin' the work myself !

Hello Bullwinkle !
Yes, I am going to do everything myself, except for the exhaust work. I have a friend of mine who owns his own muffler shop, so I will let him weld my factory exhaust tips onto the DynoMax UltraFlow's, then install them on the car for me. I don't know if you saw my earlier post about removeing my factory resonator ? I will restat that having the resonator removed was the best $45. I have spent on the car so far ! Also, about your air foil, if you look carefully on e-bay, you will notice that there are two sources offering them. Be sure that you buy the one that includes the lid gasket, as one of the vendors includes the gasket, and one doesn't. I e-mailed the vendor that I purchased from, and wound up getting my air foil for 23.95. That included shipping !

:w
Steve.

muffler suggestions

Hi Bullwinkle, Im new at this computer stuff not to mention Im also a first time vette owner. Not having alot of cash and wanting desparately to change the sound of my 92,I baged the stock exhaust for a pair of Cherry Bomb Vortex mufflers.I know what you are thinking!I thought the same thing as my buddy was hyping these things up.The sound they produced was exactly what Iwas searching for.All for $250.00. I did gut the cats and remove the resonator too. Nice throaty idle and when you jump on her....Yeah Baby!!! She roars. The only thing I dont like Is the resonance I get at cruising rpms.Anway, Ive heard quite a few exhausts but I just loved those bombs! Good Luck!

I've heard from a lot of people about "gutting" the cats, but I have no idea what that means. Isn't there some kind of chemical in the cat that converts those poisonous exhaust fumes to less poisonous fumes? Does gutting mean stripping the interior of the cat of those chemicals?

Any gain in power from gutting your cats?

BullWinkle said:
Isn't there some kind of chemical in the cat that converts those poisonous exhaust fumes to less poisonous fumes?
Yes, it is a platinum catalyst that is used to assist in complete combustion of the unburnt hydrocarbons in the exhaust. For more information, click How Catalytic Converters Work

Does gutting mean stripping the interior of the cat of those chemicals? Any gain in power from gutting your cats?
Yes again, to both questions.

As for gutting the existing cat, it is much easier, not to mention staying in compliance with the EPA, to replace the stock unit with an aftermarket high-flow converter, such as Random Technology, or replace it if you don't care about emissions compliance, with a straight piece of pipe.

Hope this helps you Bullwinkle.

_ken :w

Guttin the Cats

Bullwinkle, Im not a mechanic by anymeans but the way my mechanic friend explained it to me,gutting the cats would allow my LT1 to breathe.No more restrictions.Much more horsepower! I definately noticed a big change. John

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom