Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking for my First Corvette.

rmtsteve

Corvette
1988 Charcaol Metallic Coupe
Hello All, I am in search of my first corvette and would like to get your
opinions on one that I am considering. I have found a 1986 4+3 that has
73,000 miles on it (cast iron heads). The car seems to be mechanically sound
and the body is in good shape with a two tone copper metallic paint job
which has been touch up in the past. The car includes a factory wing on the
back, power leather seats, heated power mirrors , PW , PL , CC, and all the
other stuff that I am assuming is standard in these cars. The Car Issues
are: Rear carpet needs replaced, Pass. Outside Dr. handle does not work,
Small Crack in the windshield on drivers side upper corner, weather
stripping is going to need replace. The owner is asking 6500.00 for this
car. I would like to know if this is a fair price and if I can get some
general information on this year of the C4. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

rmtsteve said:
general information on this year of the C4. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

The mileage sounds good and carpet issues are normal. To the best of my knowledge however, there was no factory spoiler on the C-4. Not a big issue but just thought you should know.
The door latch could be as simple as a loose rod or as severe as the entire latching mechanism. Weather stripping is expensive when done on the entire car. I'd start with the worst ones first and then just pace yourself. THE MOST IMPORTANT thing is get as much documentation as you can from the owner. If you can't then get a baseline on all items like tune up, oil and fluid changes, radiator flush etc. You need to know when they were done and with what frequency.
Last but not least the price. If the car is in as nice a shape as you say, they that price seems fair especially considering the mileage. I'm sure others will chime in as well so stay tuned...and good luck with the purchase....

Len:w

It sounds like a pretty decent Corvette and a fair price. If you know of any good Corvette Mechanics or Enthusiast in your area it might be worth having 1 of them take a look at the Corvette for you.

I don't think there were any factory wings on any Corvettes.

Enjoy your Corvette hunt and do not get in a hurry, time is on your side.

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

Package Car?

If there were no factory wings on the vetes could this be some kind of a special package car. or is this just a after market add on. It looks like a stock item to me, but then again I know next to nothing about these cars.

Echoing nyernga above, try to get as much in the way of service records as you can. I'd also suggest popping for a Carfax. They won't give you a hugely detailed history, but they're pretty solid on whether the car's been wrecked or at least seriously pranged at some point; whether the odometer's been clocked; and where the car's been during its life. Re the odo: mileage seems fine. My own '86 arrived last year w/only 69 verified k. Carpet's no big thing. The spoiler's aftermarket.You will, however, want to ask about the clutch master and slave cylinders. 70k give or take is where they'll need replacing (found that out the hard way last year).
You'll see my car is very similar to the one you're considering, main difference being mine's got the aluminum heads. Don't hesitate to email me (aatkinson@wwlp.com) if you need more info. We're all here to help. Good luck!!

The most common spoiler/ground effects package out there is the Greenwood package. It is an after market package and the original dealer or owner could have had it put on before the completion of sale. As far as "when" Greenwood packages started to hit the market, I can't say. (ie - Was Greenwood around in 1986 or before?)

stearnman said:
The most common spoiler/ground effects package out there is the Greenwood package. It is an after market package and the original dealer or owner could have had it put on before the completion of sale. As far as "when" Greenwood packages started to hit the market, I can't say. (ie - Was Greenwood around in 1986 or before?)

I was thinking the same thing. Although it would be pretty noticeable with the CORVETTE lettering on the downswept edges.

Sounds like a pretty good deal. Like other said see if you can get maintenance records. I'm not familiar with the 4+3, so I can't comment. WhalePirot has many posts about the 4+3.

Do your research, make a list of options, and look around you will find the right one.

Welcome to :CAC

:pat

:w

Slave Cylinder leaking...

I went back to look at this car again and the clucth went down to the floor and there was some fluid on the ground under the car. The owner stated that the car has been setting for several (6) months and thought the slave cylinder was leaking and is going to replace it. I would like to know if this happens is there other problems that could come from this leaking? Also what should i look for after it is replace to make sure he did a good job?

Assuming it's the slave, the master probably won't be far behind. Sounds like original hydraulics, and so would about be due to fail at your stated 73k. If the seller follows through on doing the slave and leaves the master to you, and assuming the rest of the car is essentially OK, then $6000 should be your absolute top offer. Less if the thing's been sitting for six months and hasn't even been started. Has it been garaged?

This owner took the car in on trade and has only had it for 6 months and since he has had it it has been sitting outside. From what he told me the previous owner always kept it in the garage. The car does not look like it has been outside for a real long time.

I'm going to repeat what others have said...and what I say to all first-time buyers...take your time, do a lot of research and look, look, look!! There are many Corvettes out there for sale, and you can so easily get caught up when you look at them. Sometimes that can be a mistake, sometimes not...I know that from experience:L

There are many good C4's out there at reasonable prices. Keep looking! Let us know how you make out.

Oh, by the way, I once bought an '88 convertible from the original owner who had all the paperwork, including the original order sheet. She had a Greenwood package installed at the dealer when it came into the shop...and that was in the Fall of 1987 so Greenwood was around then.

Elaine

I agree with GSDIVA...
take your time there are many c4's out there I personally took about 6-7 months and finally found one that I was comfortable in buying..
its easy to fall into that desire to buy the first one that comes along (although that can be a good thing sometimes) but wiegh all the pros and cons about the car..the 6K you spend will easily translate into additional money spent if there are "hidden" problems both you and the seller may have overlooked....
good luck on your quest for your C4...its exciting ..and once you get her..you wont want to "get out of the saddle for long"

rmtsteve said:

Just one guy's opinion. But to me, this is overpriced. Weatherstripping will cost you at least $1000. Carpeting isn't too bad, but not cheap either. A windshield is not cheap. If you like the color, that's cool, but copper is probably not an easy color to sell if you need to.

I sold my 1987 Z51 4+3 with 82k miles about 3 years ago for $5,700. It had new weatherstripping (which I did myself with GM replacements, cost over $1000 for parts), new tires, new brakes, manual leather seats, the sport/heated mirrors, was a great driver and in good (not mint, but certainly nice) cosmetic shape.

Also, from 1986 to 1987, the heads went to aluminum and the cam went to a roller (though some 1986's had this). In 1988, the wheels went to 17" (though some 1988's had unique 16"s), and in 1989 the 6-speed appeared. Just things to keep in mind. For $6500, you should be able to buy a nice driver from the 80's that you don't really need to fix up. :w

If that car really, really speaks to you . . . negociate (sp?) with the seller and try to get him to drop it to $4500.00. If Aurora40 sold his in good condition for $5700.00, then the one that you are looking at (in it's current condition) certainly shouldn't sell for MORE! Also, remember that if you fix her up real nice, she will appreciate in value over the next 5-10 years. The early C4s are nearing the end of the devalueation cycle, so the time to buy is now! I hope this helps!

- Dawg :cool

Thanks Everybody for the info....

All this input does help a lot. I do have a few concerns about not really knowing the history of this car, but i did run a carfax on it and it came back clean. I have been looking at other C4's But I always seem to come back to this one. But everything I have read and seen I believe that 5500.00 would be my top offer for this car. I have another question: Did these cars come out with two tops or did some have the glass and some have the painted? This particular one has a glass top.

Vette Dawg said:
I'm pretty sure they came with two tops . . . could be wrong.

They came with a painted top. The clear top was an extra cost option, and having both tops was a more extra cost option.

You can look at the build sheet on the top of the center console lid. It will have "24S" for the blue-tint clear top, "64S" for the bronze-tint clear top, and "C2L" will indicate it should have had both the painted and a clear top. However, it's got whatever it's got, which sounds like one of the clear tops (I'd guess bronze on a bronze car). :)

rmtsteve said:
The car seems to be mechanically sound
which has been touch up in the past.

According to these numbers, only 4 copper metallic cars were produced in 1986:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/c4/1986/86prod.html

That doesn't really mean it will be collectible, but it's interesting. You might make sure the build sheet indicates the copper color if you find the rarity a reason to get it.

Since you said it was two-tone, it's probably more likely to be the silver beige over medium brown. The copper should have been a one-tone according to that page. :)

Serial # breakdown

Is there a page that tells what each number in the serial number represents? Or does the serial number include any special information about the car?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom