Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking for restoration advice

adfac

Corvette
1986 Dark Red Convertible
About a year ago, I bought an 86 vert off a guy who had blown the engine when he kept running with 0 oil pressure :duh
Anyway I had a brand new LT1 put in the car (not a short block - a whole new engine). Mechanically, the car runs fantastic. I'd really like to get a little more HP by getting a C5 but my 86 runs so good I've had people who know what their doing with Corvettes tell me I should restore it. Basically, it's mostly cosmetic things like re-upholster seats, re-condition the LED dash, fix the Bose speakers and amps and most of all, get it re-painted ($3,000 - I've got alot of clearcoat coming off on the upper doors, rear deck and rear view mirrors). I don't have the resources to do the work myself so I'm going to have to have others do the work (if I can find them locally). I've been told I won't get any more for my C4 if I get it restored as I will "as it is" (and it's not in bad shape at all). What I'd like to know from the experienced Vette owners is should I sell it and get a C5 or would you spend the effort and $$$ and restore the C4? Any advice would be appreciated.

attachment.php

Hello, I think it is all about what YOU want. Meaning....if you like the C4, then keep it and restore it. If you have any doubt about keeping the car then sale it. It is not worth keeping if you have doubts. I think the C5's are nice, but I have already liked a C4! I have never heard after putting some money in a car that it does not make it worth anymore.

Thats a nice one. Being a convertible I think it's worth the investment and will bring back more of what you invest in it then a coupe. Convertibles always seem to sell so I say fix it up.

My guess is you're looking at $5,000 to restore the car to great condition. You don't say what the engine install cost, so do you want to spend another $5k on that car? versus whatever a successor will cost you? Get some more info on what a replacement will cost, and what you might get for yours as is. I don't believe you will recover the cost of further fixes on it so it's what YOU want in a car.

TonyLong: That's a nice one you've got there! The engine cost me a little over 3. I figure the resto will run between 5 and 7k. I'm thinking about new wheels as well. The good thing is I don't have a car payment and I won't if I restore the 86.

Ruby9340: I love the color you have! I just really have my doubts about a re-paint, even if it's the same color.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

For what you could sell the vert for and the $5-7k for the restoration, you would probably be close to the price of a good used C5. I've been sinking a bunch of $ into my '88. I really don't expect to recoup the money if I ever go to sell it, but I'll have a damn nice C4.

For what you could sell the vert for and the $5-7k for the restoration, you would probably be close to the price of a good used C5. I've been sinking a bunch of $ into my '88. I really don't expect to recoup the money if I ever go to sell it, but I'll have a damn nice C4.
Whoa! I'm jealous. Great looking car! I know I can get 9k for mine as is, up to 11k if I'm lucky but they tell me I'll never get more than that even if I fix her up. The cosmetics won't bring me any more $$$. Mechanically, I couldn't ask for anything more, but from what I understand, there's about 100 hp difference between an 86 and a C5. That's where I'm having the problem.

TonyLong: That's a nice one you've got there! The engine cost me a little over 3. I figure the resto will run between 5 and 7k. I'm thinking about new wheels as well. The good thing is I don't have a car payment and I won't if I restore the 86.

Ruby9340: I love the color you have! I just really have my doubts about a re-paint, even if it's the same color.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I hear ya about the "no payments" issue. I saved for 4 years to pay cash for my 89 and don't regret it. At age 20 waiting 3 months seems like a lifetime, at 40 - a decade goes by and you don't realize it. lol

I love my 89 and wouldn't want to trade her in. I especially like the wheels, they're unique on 88 and 89 only. All the later wheels are ho-mum 5 spoked like on every ford fiesta or beetle. I would like having a luggage compartment as on C5's and C6's though. I can only fit 2 airline bags in my rear area, on the plus side of that, it lets me tell my weekend dates to "pack something skimpy" due to lack of room. hehe

I hear ya about the "no payments" issue. I saved for 4 years to pay cash for my 89 and don't regret it. At age 20 waiting 3 months seems like a lifetime, at 40 - a decade goes by and you don't realize it. lol

I love my 89 and wouldn't want to trade her in. I especially like the wheels, they're unique on 88 and 89 only. All the later wheels are ho-mum 5 spoked like on every ford fiesta or beetle. I would like having a luggage compartment as on C5's and C6's though. I can only fit 2 airline bags in my rear area, on the plus side of that, it lets me tell my weekend dates to "pack something skimpy" due to lack of room. hehe

If only I could fit my golf clubs in the back (the 86 vert has no trunk either) I'd be in businss. At my age, I don't need anything else! <rotfl>

I'd think you could get the clubs back there, the bag's another issue. Don't they make soft or telescoping bags?
Sounds like an opportunity for some creativity here.
I have one of those "top prop" sticks that props the folded top up braced against the raised deck. It lets me arrange all kinds of stuff in the rear without the stinking top bashing my shoulder. I can stuff a lot of stuff there, even with a 8" diameter tubular subwoofer stashed against the rear panel.
It's just awkward. I once told a girl she could ride in the back if she was nervous about me. When she remarked there was no seat - I replied "I offered a ride, I didn't say anything about sitting". She laughed and decided I was OK. he he

I once told a girl she could ride in the back if she was nervous about me. When she remarked there was no seat - I replied "I offered a ride, I didn't say anything about sitting". She laughed and decided I was OK. he he

Now THAT'S Creative!:boogie

I think that only you can decide on this because only you know what you want.

If you have not drove a C 5 drive one it may be to your liking.

They are easier to get in and out of and to some that is a plus,
To me the C 5 is more like a Buick the C-4 is more of what driving a sport car should be,

I have invested more in mine than what a new C-6 would cost and will never get any where near that out of it but it is what I wanted.

Do what ever suites you and don't worry about what others think,

Cars are not investments, so you'll never get out what you pour into it. Kind of sounds like you'll sell it later on anyway. The market for c4s is awful, they made over 300,000 of them and none of them will be collectors items, so if you have a sentimental attachment to the car and plan on owning it for many years, by all means I think you should restore it. But if you pour $5,000 into it, it won't increase the value of the car, lots of people like to think it does but craigslist is littered with ads from sellers who have poured cash into their cars and mark them down to the going rate for similar cars anyway. New engines, new interiors, new tires, new brakes, new battery, new this, new that, all of these things just mean you'll sell the car a little faster when the time comes.

Let's face it, a car is a machine, and over time they need lots of maintenance. God knows I love C4s, but I had to sell mine because I got tired of spending every weekend fixing its neverending conga line of broken parts. The irritation of breaking a brittle vacuum line or needing a special tool to change the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm or shoving your fat sweaty arm for three hours into the rear bumper to fix the broken antenna mast or passing out from heat exhaustion while trying to get to the inside nuts on the power brake booster, I don't know about you but I'm at the point in my life where I would rather pay someone to do those things, and even then there is the lingering doubt that the $10-an-hour guy they hired to do it took some short cuts or broke something else while he was fixing the thing that was already broken.

When I see a beautiful c4 convertible like yours I think "wow, that's gorgeous" but personally, for me, you really have to love that car to keep it on the road. I can't even count the number of times the poorly-designed cs130 alternator left me stranded on the side of the highway.

The irritation of breaking a brittle vacuum line or needing a special tool to change the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm or shoving your fat sweaty arm for three hours into the rear bumper to fix the broken antenna mast or passing out from heat exhaustion while trying to get to the inside nuts on the power brake booster.

Have you been peeking in my garage? ;squint:

Cars are not investments, so you'll never get out what you pour into it.

Been there, have the T shirt. :chuckle

Cars, especially C4 vettes ae not investments, they are hobbies. I once spent about 12k on a mustang that I sold for 5 grand. The way I look at it, is I spent 7k over 11 years to have fun, be part of a club and bang some gears.

I spend my weekends on it because I can, I don't HAVE to do it. It's a way of relaxing to me (i know its strange).

My advice, is spend as little as possible on it, but keep the car safe.
If it still looks good enough to give you pride of ownership, keep your money in your pocket.

Cars are not investments, so you'll never get out what you pour into it....

To that point.. you might as well make it what you want it to be and enjoy every minute of it while you have it.

Life is just too short to not be happy with a commitment of such financial proportions.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom