Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking to buy my first Corvette! Couple ?'s

I know. That was my point. Out of the box the late C3's are nothing to write home about. I'd have to do all that to be near the 300hp of a stock LT1. I'm not looking for a project car at this point, I just want something I can jump in and drive.

2 years ago I was looking to do exactly what you just said, but I couldn't find the right C3 locally. Since then I've realized that's not the most practical thing, considering I don't have a garage to work on it and store it in. At least with the 92 it's not a classic or anything, so I have no problem leaving it in the driveway under a cover.

As far as that '92, I drove it and didn't like it. It didn't seem to run right, I think it needed a new Opti, and the ABS and ASR lights were on. I also noticed a few other cosmetic issues that I didn't notice the first time I looked at it. To tell you the truth, after driving it, I don't think the C4 is the car for me anymore. I might be more of an F-Body guy.

I loved the look of the late C3s however, after test driving dozens of them I found out they were SLOW handled like a truck, rode like a truck, and squeeked and rattled like a junk wagon.

So before you give up on C4s try a 95 or 96. The ride was improved every year and the 94-96 sport seats are comfortable, for 1995 GM spent lots of time in squeek abatement, plus vented opti offer the complete package. (Plus I hate the yellow writing on the earlier LT1 dashes.

Mike

OldSkool,

Patience and knowledge...

I started lurking here since 2001... gaining knowledge so I would know what I wanted. I have been looking for a C3 for a while... but at a reasonable price. While on eBay in 2003, I bought a 1973 Camaro to play cause the price was right. It's a great car, but still not the vette I was after.

The whole time I have been asking questions and forming opinions. I realized that I was either after a 69-71 Vert, or a 78-82 T-Top. A few weeks ago I ran across my 1978 on a local website. It had been broken into, so the column was broken, the owner could not get it started and didn't have the cash to get it fixed. Therfore the price was right! $5K CDN and I brought her home. Spent $500 on a column, new alternator, some lights... and alot of cleaning supplies. Got her on the road Thursday. Spent all weekend cruizin' in the sunshine at local parks and such.

I knew it was a good deal because of all the knowledge gained here. Good luck on your search.
2650647_1_full.jpg

Hi Oldskool

I got a 1990 2 months back. Had a miss took it to original dealer and replaces fuel injector. They said the original injectors had a lifetime warranty.

I enjoy spring, summer, fall, or winter afternoons in the Brick Alley Pub eating their nachos (or anything else on the menu) and washing it down with their mixed drinks!

Buy the Corvette in the nicest condition you can afford. You'll be miles ahead of the "Corvette Tax Game" in the long run...

I enjoy spring, summer, fall, or winter afternoons in the Brick Alley Pub eating their nachos (or anything else on the menu) and washing it down with their mixed drinks!

Mmmmmm, Brick Alley nachos!! I love that place.

Just an update: After looking at the Vettes, I did some thinking and realized that I really missed my Firebirds. So, I shifted my focus to looking for F-Bodies.

Here's what's out in my driveway right now.....

Firebird015.jpg

Firebird008.jpg

Firebird009.jpg

2000 Firebird Formula...Navy Blue Metallic, tan leather, loaded, T-s, Auto, and of course, the LS1. Very clean, with 65k on it.

I love it...it rides and handles great, consistantly gets 23mpg, and is damn sexy. Photos just don't do the color justice at all.

Only negative is the wheels. Ugly as sin, right? I'm waiting till spring to replace them, I'm dabating on whether to go with 17" WS6 wheels or an aftermarket 17 or 18. I have a few ideas kicking around right now.

Any suggestions are welcome.

So far it's all stock, with the exception of a SLP intake lid I put on last month. More goodies to come though.

My husband has a 68 firebird that he is doing a frame off restoration of. I don't know what the engine is he has but it makes my 383 on the stand next to it look like a kids toy.

firebirdengine0217.jpg

He has this cool orange air cleaner that isn't in that photo that will match the color of the car when he paints it.

Only negative is the wheels. Ugly as sin, right? I'm waiting till spring to replace them, I'm dabating on whether to go with 17" WS6 wheels or an aftermarket 17 or 18. I have a few ideas kicking around right now.

Any suggestions are welcome.

I'm not sure how they would look (perhaps you could photoshop it) by I like the Y2K thin spokes. Don't know if they have the same bolt pattern though.

The Later The Better With The C4 as build quality consistently improved, and if you go LT4, you are getting a car that has bottomed in the depreciation curve and is now starting to move north.

Remember; at that time (1996) the LT4 was the most powerful production engine GM ever put in a car and, The C4 when it came out in 1984 was the best handling production car "Ever Built"

I'm not sure how they would look (perhaps you could photoshop it) by I like the Y2K thin spokes. Don't know if they have the same bolt pattern though.

As long as you are replacing (non-Stock) wheels... Go 18 inch !!

JRZ, Thanks for the info. That was a big help.

I didn't realize all cars had the targa, I thought it was optional.

Thanks for the heads up on the Opti-Spark. I used to frequent F-Body forums when I had a '98 LS1 Formula, so I remember reading about Opti-Spark woes. Or "Opti-Crap" as I remember hearing it reffered to many times.

I actually read an article on this topic not too long ago in a Corvette Fever back issue that someone gave me, apparently MSD has a replacement unit out. IIRC, it had a list price of $499. I'm not sure what the price of an OEM one is, but I'd go this route either way.

I read that whan the water pump goes, it usually takes the opti spark with it, so I'll definitely keep a close on on that on any car I look at.

Are there any tell-tales that it's been replaced or upgraded, besides the seller's word?

Andis it a big job to replace the water pump and O-S unit on these cars? I like to do my own work myself. I had replaced the water pump on my '88 L98 GTA, and it was pretty easy. Is this much more involved?

As far as the brakes, and all other options, are they listed on a build sticker somewhere? My GTA had a sticker under the glove box lid with all the RPO codes on it, WS6, G80, etc. Where is this info posted on the C4's?

I found the RPO list on this site, so I'm going to print it out and keep it for a reference when I look at cars.

I've been looking online and in Auto Trader over the past few days, unfortunately I've only found 2 contenders, other than a few C3's that I like the look of.

Both '92 coupes:

One with 59k, auto, white on red, for 7,900 o.bo.

The other is black on black, auto, 90k miles, for 8,500 o.b.o.

I guess the black on black combo is more desirable to some people, but there's something about the white on red that I like. It reminds me of the first C1's, since that's the color combo they all came in. Plus, there's just something over the top about a car with a red leather interior.

The seller sent me a few pics, one of the interior, it looks to be in good shape, with the exception of some wear in the carpet in the hatch, and a broken trim piece. It's behind the driver's seat on the floor, it looks like some kind of latch. Not sure what it is. Top storage maybe?

Other pic is of the odo...yep, 59,xxx K.

So once again, thanks for all the info, and thanks in advance if you can answer any of these questions here.

Mike

I have an '02 vert. Until last June I also had an '88 coupe. It was white with a flame red interior. I am not one for white cars but that vette looked great! I would consider the lower mileage white '92 if I were in your position. Good luck!:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom