Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking to buy my first Corvette! Couple ?'s

The C4 is still a great car but the C5 has all the C4 has to offer and more.

I wish I had room for both. The ride in the C5 is far better, just drive a bunch of both and see for yourself.

The LT1 C4s are great cars and there are a few replacement systems out there for the infamous optispark.

The C5 is a great car, no doubt about it. But the C4 has more a a sports car feel to it. The C5 drives great but has more of a luxury car ride. If I had to commute 50 miles each way every day I'd pick a C5 over a C4, but for pleasure trips and cruising I'm happy with my C4.

The C5 is a great car, no doubt about it. But the C4 has more a a sports car feel to it. The C5 drives great but has more of a luxury car ride. If I had to commute 50 miles each way every day I'd pick a C5 over a C4, but for pleasure trips and cruising I'm happy with my C4.

Thanks...

Sounds like a comparison between 3rd and 4th gen F-Bodies.

My '98 was more civilized, and much faster, but my '88 felt like it handled better, and had more of a "race car" feel.

That's what I'm looking for. I have a commuter car, what I want is a "race car" to play around with on the weekends.

OldSkool

The C4 is a great Corvette! My first was a '94 convertible and she's the one that first put the Corvette grin permanently on my face. She handled like a dream and she had more than enough power to pin my ears back and make me happy. :D

I stepped up to a C5 because of the refinements and personal comfort I needed. The C4 was more difficult for me to get in and out of due to chronic back problems and the ride was much stiffer than that of my C5.

Either generation is a solid choice. Afterall, they're Corvettes.

Good luck in your search.
:w Jane Ann

Corvettes_PastandPresent_2.jpg

I agree with Jane Ann. My first vette was a 93 and I loved it. My second was an 01 (millineum yellow) and I thought I died and went to heaven. If your budget allows a c4, that's cool. Just test drive it and make sure it feels tight! They have a tendency to shake, rattle and roll. The squeaky top is enough to drive you crazy. Whatever you get, you will enjoy. I would love to have a c3, though. A 1968 convertable would be my ultimate choice. Now if you could find one of those without paying an arm and a leg....................

I agree with Jane Ann. My first vette was a 93 and I loved it. My second was an 01 (millineum yellow) and I thought I died and went to heaven. If your budget allows a c4, that's cool. Just test drive it and make sure it feels tight! They have a tendency to shake, rattle and roll. The squeaky top is enough to drive you crazy. Whatever you get, you will enjoy. I would love to have a c3, though. A 1968 convertable would be my ultimate choice. Now if you could find one of those without paying an arm and a leg....................

Oh man, you're not kidding!! The chrome bumper Shark convertibles are some of the sexiest Vettes ever made, IMO. I'd give my first born for one.... if I had a first born, that is.

Hmmm, maybe I ought to get on that and find someone willing to swap. :D

Thanks again to everyone for all the input!! :upthumbs

Forget about a c4 and get a c5. After about a year of rattling around in a c4, you will want a c5. Trust me. It will be worth the extra dollars.

I don't think there is a thing wrong with C4's. I have nothing against C5's, but from everything I know, they don't don't have the same feel. I love the cockpit feel of my 94. Yes, a little bit more of a challenge to get in and out, but once you are in it is a race car feel. My 94 has a "firm" ride, but then again mine has the "performance handling package" (RPO Z07), so that is to be expected. With that said I don't think mine "rattles" too much. You'll be fine with a C4.

I don't think there is a thing wrong with C4's. I have nothing against C5's, but from everything I know, they don't don't have the same feel. I love the cockpit feel of my 94. Yes, a little bit more of a challenge to get in and out, but once you are in it is a race car feel. My 94 has a "firm" ride, but then again mine has the "performance handling package" (RPO Z07), so that is to be expected. With that said I don't think mine "rattles" too much. You'll be fine with a C4.

Thanks! That's very reassuring to hear.

My 95 is white with red interior and has a frequently washed engine however, I've never had an opti problem.

DSC00641.jpg

DSC00018.jpg

I could have bought a C5 however, I love spanking the cocky ls1 owners that don't understand that this stock looking engine bay has these beauties lying undernead the valve covers.

DSC00003.jpg

If you want a nice riding easy to enter car get the C5 or a Camry.
If you want a cockpit interior with a nice firm ride priced low enough to mod buy a C4. If you're worried about the OPTI buy a 95 or 96.

Besides the good looks C4s handle great in the snow.

Mike

Mike, that's gorgeous! I really love the white on red.

So 'fess up, what goodies are you running under the hood besides the rollers and headers. Are those new heads, too?

And it looks a little low, how much did you lower it?

Mike, that's gorgeous! I really love the white on red.

So 'fess up, what goodies are you running under the hood besides the rollers and headers. Are those new heads, too?

And it looks a little low, how much did you lower it?

The heads are stockers with a little work from Advanced induction, :) my compression ratio is a little higher than stock, the cams is a 23X 240x with lots more lift than stock, I have a D44 with 3.45 rear, 2800 stall, ford 30lb SVO injectors, 58 MM TB, electric water pump and a bunch of other little mods. Lots of L98 owners talk about their torque monsters, however, they forget that LT1 A4s were saddled with 2.59 rears. Before I dug into the motor I was spanking my brother in laws 03 Cobra bad enough that he sold it. The funny thing was that was in Colorado Springs where the altitude should have given him a bigger advantage than at sea level.. Honest I would walk him with just bolt ons and gears. (This was Prior to the stall converter, however, I was at what the camaro bunch calls full bolt on level)
Currently the engine is apart, I hope to get it back together soon and have a little more power. That's my main problem I never seem to have enough power. There is a guy on another forum that was running the 1/4 mile in the 12s with a stock engine/exhaust with a D44 and 3.45s. He may have been running drag radial but I'm not certain about that. All I know is the best modification I made was ditching the 2.59s it made a quick car into a quicker one and the stall made it into a stoplight monster.

I lowered it a bunch. I installed a lowering kit wasn't satisfied with the 2" advertised drop and so I took the front apart 2 more times until I got where I wanted to be.

Before
Before.jpg

DSC00359.jpg

After (I know they were taken months apart but they're the only pics I have of my stock ride height and lowered in the same location)
LoweringDay7.jpg
LoweringDa4.jpg

LoweringDay8.jpg

If you want a decently priced, FAST car buy a late model C4 and call Ron and Phil at AI

Oh it's a daily driver too!
DSC00766.jpg

DSC00765.jpg

You'll notice in the top daily driver picture the ice in the wheel wells and tire tracks leading into the driveway since that picture was taken after I drove home from work.

It was cold too hence the negative symbol
-18.jpg

Oh well I don't get snow or cold any more!!

Mike

I have to agree the White with the Red interior (preferably Torch Red) is a great color combination, but then I'm kinda partial, it was the combo of my first Vette, a '90 Coupe, auto w/2.59 rear. I did quite a few mods to that car, one of which was to swap to a D44 w/ 3.45's. After doing a couple of smokey burnouts at CruiseFest '05 I was asked by several people what I had done to the car. Headers, tuning, and GEARS, definately the biggest bang for the buck. Made the car perform like the true sports car that was hiding inside should.

Tom is right the Opti and Waterpump are not that bad of a job, kinda expensive for the parts, but I like doing the work myself. Sort of my relaxation, the GF says its my escape from the stress of the world. To tell you the truth she is right. The Opti can be a real pain to diagnose, especially if it is randomly intermittent. Occasionally mine will develop just the slightest miss at high RPM's (6K), but its so random that I haven't done anything about it. Well actually I did purchase the new MSD Opti, but have yet to install it. I'm going to wait till I do the cam swap, and do the plug wires, Opti and cam at the same time. My water pump went south just before CruiseFest '06. I replaced it with an Electric Meizere unit, much better than the gear driven stocker. I was careful when I replaced the pump, and maybe a bit lucky, but the pump did not take out the Opti.

JS is right about the wheel bearings, I don't know why but the prices for the AC Delco front and rear sets have almost doubled recently. The U-joints are not that bad, I picked up the Delco HD non-greaseable ones from RockAuto for right at $20 each. There are two part numbers, one for the half shafts and another for the drive shaft, neither of which I have off the top of my head.

The C4 really set the Vette into the supercar status that it deserves, a very special thanks to the ZR-1 motor, but the LT1/4 are quite respectable on their own. I have spanked my share of LS1's and wouldn't hesitate to run one, especially since my LT4 is underrated at 330HP. I had it dyno'ed and it made 308 RWHP stock, that works out close to 354 crank HP, better than the 345 that the LS1 is rated at.

Given my druthers I will take the C4 over the C5. I like the cockpit feel, the rough, raw, race car like handling, and not to mention the shape of the body. Yes the C5 is a good looking car, but I don't like the fact that GM mis-spelled the word "guages" right there on the dash in front of you. I don't know how they let that get by.

As far as the ride and handling there are four levels of harshness, the standard suspension (FE1), is the softest. The Z07, performance handling package, is the middle of the road. At the top is the Z51, HD suspension, which is basically the factory race package. The fourth is the F45, selective ride suspension, which has computer controlled dampening and rebound of the shocks. I haven't riden in a F45 car but I think it fits in between the FE1 and the Z07. The FE1 is mushy when compared to the Z51, or at least thats what my butt-o-meter says.

I have to agree a '68 Vert with a four speed and side pipes is still my dream. Not for the ride but for the looks. That is just an awesome looking car, no matter the color.

I think I know what they mean when they say "All Vettes are Red" ... They are talking about the interior ;) I have grown partial to my Sebring Silver with Torch guts. It's really a great contrasting color combination, not to mention it adds rarity as this was the least produced interior color.

Good luck on your search, and don't forget to :w

:pat

G

Thanks for all the info, Hrtbeat! Thanks for clarifiying the bit on the suspensions.

I also didn't realize these cars came with such a high rearend ratio. I think my '88GTA had 3.27's, which was a nice combo with the 700R4.

Surprising that Chevy's flagship performance car would get such cruiser gears. Maybe it was a gas mileage thing.

Mike, that's pretty hardcore, driving a Vette vert to work in the snow! I have another car for snow duty, the Vette would stay home. Probably be outside under a cover, but still home. I had enough RWD adventures DD'ing my GTA through the winter. I'm quite happy with the 4wd in my Jeep at this point! Plus, I never have to shovel it out!

Thanks for all the info, Hrtbeat! Thanks for clarifiying the bit on the suspensions.

I also didn't realize these cars came with such a high rearend ratio. I think my '88GTA had 3.27's, which was a nice combo with the 700R4.

Surprising that Chevy's flagship performance car would get such cruiser gears. Maybe it was a gas mileage thing.

Mike, that's pretty hardcore, driving a Vette vert to work in the snow! I have another car for snow duty, the Vette would stay home. Probably be outside under a cover, but still home. I had enough RWD adventures DD'ing my GTA through the winter. I'm quite happy with the 4wd in my Jeep at this point! Plus, I never have to shovel it out!

I love Newport in the summer. However, when I was there in Oct through Dec 2000 (not soooo much due to all the white, wet, and coold )

Are the C4's really that bad?

The C5's are basically out of my budget, it's either a late C3 or a LT1 C4. If the C4's are bad, I can't imagine how bad a C3 is.

At least a stock LT1 C4 can get out of it's own way though.

There is absolutely a huge difference between the C3's and C4's. Just because the C4's might have a problem with whatever does not mean the C3's do also. IMO, the C3's have the best body style that will turn heads. Just can't beat the lines and curves of a C3. I would prefer the C4's performance.

There is absolutely a huge difference between the C3's and C4's. Just because the C4's might have a problem with whatever does not mean the C3's do also. IMO, the C3's have the best body style that will turn heads. Just can't beat the lines and curves of a C3. I would prefer the C4's performance.

Well, no offense to you or your C3. I agree with you on the body, I think the early C3's are the sexiest Vettes ever made. I'm just not a fan of the late C3 smog motors.

I'd actually really like to drive a C3 at this point, because truth be told, I didn't really enjoy driving the C4 all that much.

Very easy to remove the emissions from a late 70's Vette.

So, what's the outcome? You know "oldskool", you could install headers/dual exhaust, cam, intake and remove the emissions and be good to go.

So, what's the outcome? You know "oldskool", you could install headers/dual exhaust, cam, intake and remove the emissions and be good to go.

I know. That was my point. Out of the box the late C3's are nothing to write home about. I'd have to do all that to be near the 300hp of a stock LT1. I'm not looking for a project car at this point, I just want something I can jump in and drive.

2 years ago I was looking to do exactly what you just said, but I couldn't find the right C3 locally. Since then I've realized that's not the most practical thing, considering I don't have a garage to work on it and store it in. At least with the 92 it's not a classic or anything, so I have no problem leaving it in the driveway under a cover.

As far as that '92, I drove it and didn't like it. It didn't seem to run right, I think it needed a new Opti, and the ABS and ASR lights were on. I also noticed a few other cosmetic issues that I didn't notice the first time I looked at it. To tell you the truth, after driving it, I don't think the C4 is the car for me anymore. I might be more of an F-Body guy.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom