Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking to buy

nevets181

Corvette
1994 Torch Red Coupe
Hello new to the forums have yet to buy one, i dont know how this evern works lol or if i can even do this but sure why not damn goverment computers.

For Sale: 1978 CHEVROLET CORVETTE ANNIVERSARY at Thiel Motor Sales

I am buying putting a bid on this car some time in the near future, my father is test driving it since i am i am deployed and cant do it myself. Is there any thing specific that i should ask my father to look for while he is test driving it and all of that kind of stuff i have pictures of the engine upon request.

Thank You

Hello new to the forums have yet to buy one, i dont know how this evern works lol or if i can even do this but sure why not damn goverment computers.
For Sale: 1978 CHEVROLET CORVETTE ANNIVERSARY at Thiel Motor Sales
I am buying putting a bid on this car some time in the near future, my father is test driving it since i am i am deployed and cant do it myself. Is there any thing specific that i should ask my father to look for while he is test driving it and all of that kind of stuff i have pictures of the engine upon request.
Thank You
This can get rather lengthy, so here's some links that you may want to pass on to your father.

Mechanic's Checklist

How To Buy A Corvette

Please Review: Ten Rules For Buying Your First C3 Corvette - Corvette Forum

I took a quick look at the ad you're considering. IMO, watch out for the word "Rare". If the car is rare or not, it's still a buyers market. There were millions fo C3's produced. I feel that word is sometimes used to drive/keep prices up. Too many people get 'Barrett-Jackson' fever.
IMO, it's not if the car is rare or not, but if you'll be satisfied with it.

In my experience, I'd rather purchase from an owner, not a dealer. Many times an owner can provide maintenance and other documentation that some dealers can't.

Good Luck! And I hope you have a surprise when you return.
And thanks for your service to our country! Stay safe!
:beer

Just my .02

First of all Thanks For Your Service!!:pat,,,,second whats the rush ? The '78 anniversary is not very rare ,and YOU should be the one to test drive the car ,there are plenty of vettes out there for sale ,some at really attractive prices,due to the economy,don't put the decision on your father,its going to be your car ! When you get home safe and sound, take a deep breath,relax and start your hunt with plenty of knowledge/advice/help from the members here ,then you and your dad can go out alot more educated and more aware of what you want .what to look for.
The hunt for that perfect vette(for you) is half the fun !!!:thumb

Neal

Not to dog pile on here, but in my opinion, there is nothing rare about this particular car. Production numbers for 1978 was in in the 50,000 range and the Silver Anniversary package was a popular one, with I believe, something like 20% of the production.
Also, it's pretty easy to fake a SA with a simple paint job. Paint code should be for a two tone car. If you like the car, and it's in good condition, then go for it. Just don't buy with the expectation of it being rare version of the Corvette.

Again, thank you for your service, good luck with your purchase and be careful there in the big sand box.

Hello,

Well i didnt take that Rare to mean anything, according to the figures that i looked at there were 3k orginal silver ones built and of those they had 3 interior options soo there was nothing rare from the car at the start. What keyed me in to this car was its background, one owner, bought it brand new and only put 65k miles on it. I just like the lines of this car but agian my orginal plan was to buy the corvette the year i was born which is an 81. The perfict dream corvette is an 81 red with black interior thats what i want more than anything. But as i am looking and doing heavy research the differences between the years were mostly cosmetic so i just starting going on looks and availability. I am just getting pushed in more than one direction with this little project. I dont really care about matching numbers or all orginal, i want a car i can drive and have fun in cause this time around i am not buying a motorcycle i am puting the motorcycle money on this vett.

That dealer just specilizes in those type of cars, my parents are convinced that they should buy from a dealer, i have bought alot of motorcycles in my day and i have bought them all from private sellers. I have had the good with the bad when it comes to that. After my Dad test drove it i only got one response take a hard look at a 96 they have at that lot. Great wonderful a convertable i would have to go down to a 75 to get a convertable in the style i really like. I am just not sure on the C4s they look to much like they were influenced by knight rider way to many electronic stuff to go wrong.

Allright i got a bit long winded but i have alot of things running through my mind about this lol i dont have much to do right now besides look, thats why it seems i am in a rush i guess. That and if i buy in the midwest like i plan to most of the corvettes are long since packed away by the time i will actually get there. I am stationed in NC but home is IA, and i dont really want to buy one with out my Father at least taking a look at it he is the mechanic not me. I am more of a tinker than anything else. Ok i will stop my rant, have a good day/night/afternoon

Hi,

First of all, welcome to the Corvette Action Center! Secondly, thanks very much for your service!!!

About the 78 Silver Anniversary Corvette...there were more than 15,000 of these Anniversary cars made so they are definitely not rare. I know your wish is to get a C3...and I love them, too. I also know the "high" one experiences when looking for a Corvette. I've been there more than once! ;)

Having owned quite a few Corvettes and because I sell them, I strongly suggest taking your time and not buy the first one that comes along, especially when you can't actually touch, feel, drive it. That's even more important when you want to get an older Corvette that you can drive and enjoy. There are thousands of Corvettes for sale every day of the week. If it's not this one, it will be another. Take your time, especially shopping for an older one.

As far as a '96, that would be the best year of the C4 generation. It's a totally different look than the C3 but is a totally different Corvette. I had one of those, too!

Enjoy the search...and let us know how you make out!

Elaine

Wait until you get home to look for a car. Pass on this one. There is nothing rare about a 78 Silver Anniversary car; they made 15,283 of these. Ditto on the red interior; all the regular production 78 interior colors were available with the B2Z silver anniversary paint. Quite frankly, the two toned silver with red was very popular; you'll see a lot of them. The choice of red cloth is a little rare (about 1200 cars); most people went with leather.

Keep your head down.

:thumb

I wish to thank you also for your service dude!

As for the vette, it would be best to use your free time to do your research online to help decide whats right for you.
Regardless of rarity or such,the ride for you is just that.....YOUR feel for it, your gut feeling at the test drive....
You have time on your side and if your diligent when you get home you will go get the car your dreaming of now.There are plenty vettes on the market and deals abound to those who have patience. I looked for a month in diffrent states and such and then to end it all the vette i bought was less than 6 blocks away from home!

What ever turns out I wish you the best in your effort to find a vette.

Stay strong and cover your 6......

Chas

:pat as well as my thanks and prayers..

So you were born in 1981... I won't go into the age thing :chuckle. From your signature you must be from Nebraska (nevets181) ;shrug and now I understand the 181 :w

Well as coincidence would have it, I was born and raised in Nebraska and I have a 1981 that I have had for sale a few times. I used to have a link here at the Corvette Action Center, but I see that has been completely revamped and all old advertisements have been deleted ;shrug...

If you are interested I would be happy to email you some pictures and the history behind my 1981. I am the Third owner, since 1998, and have all the documentation back to delivery in Detroit Michigan and all maintenance records, with receipts ;)

Bud Dougherty
Amarillo, TX

Steven,
June 24-25, 2011 Mecum had an auction in Bloomington and this car sold for $9,500. Wrong color interior for your dream car but it was listed as:

- One owner
- 4 speed
- Red/Red
- 38,000 original miles

BG0611-111898_1.jpg

:chuckle $9,500 won't even get RARE out of her resting spot for a test drive ;)

Someone got one HELL of a deal.. :dance

Bud

:chuckle $9,500 won't even get RARE out of her resting spot for a test drive ;)

Someone got one HELL of a deal.. :dance

Bud

Edit: I tried to find the car above sold by Mecum auction in Bloomington could you provide a link for that price and sale??? I find that price below most I've seen and by far way below a low mileage 4-Speed :eek Thanks

More than likely there was a reserve on the car and it wasnt met, i have watched auctions on tv and thats probably what happened. Thats my experiance with ebay, i have bought 2 motorcycles from ebay and lost my fair share cause the reserve was to high.

Wonder what happened:

Still for sale:
1981 Corvette 4-Speed

Bud
Steven,
I don't think any link I provide will work. Mecum asks you to sign up on their site before you can search and view the cars. It's free and you can do searches by make, model and year for one or all of the auctions. Just go to Mecum Auction: Live Classic, Collector, Corvette and Muscle Car Auctions and register -- it's free. Might be a great thing for you, Steven. You can look at upcoming auctions and with cash in hand, you and your father could fly to the auction, buy the car and drive it home and spend less in total than you'd pay at the local "dealer."

Bud,
The high bid on lot F107 (the listing you are showing) was $8,500 but that wasn't enough. After it goes on the block and doesn't sell, they have a "The Bid Goes On" desk. It was re-listed as lot S7 and someone apparently offered $9,500. That WAS enough. I've been watching the Mecum Auctions on the Discovery channel and C3 and C4 cars are selling for bargain prices. A 1972 Ontario Orange big block went for $22K. This 1993 40th Anniversary car sold in June 2011 at the Bloomington Gold auction for $12,750:
- 2 owner clean CarFax
- 50,800 actual miles
- Newer tires
- 40th anniversary
(I know, higher mileage and it's a C4 but come on....)
BG0611-111731_1.jpg

If you just want an '81 and use it as a base for your own dream car, here's a White one that sold at the same auction as the low-mileage red car. This one was also listed twice and went for either $4,400 (lot F60) or $4,700 (lot S12). Either price seems pretty reasonable:

- T-tops
- Fresh paint and interior
- Automatic transmission
- 350 CI engine

BG0611-114233_1.jpg

Looks like RARE and I will be Friends for a very long time :dance ain't no way RARE leaves the Stable for $4,500 let alone $9,500..

Must be a lot of folks out there that need money to sell that cheap!!

If I was in the market for a Corvette I'd go to a Mecum Auction and see for myself what I could find with the budget I had set aside...

Sure puts a crimp in someone (like me :chuckle ) that has a 1981 that is a 9 to 9.5 on a 10 scale with 1 being the worst and 10 being flawless...

Patience Steve, wait until you get home then check out one of Mecum auction ;) because you ain't touching RARE for the kind of money mentioned above :nono :nono :nono

Bud
:nono

If I was in the market for a Corvette I'd go to a Mecum Auction and see for myself what I could find with the budget I had set aside...
Bud
:nono
I agree completely. If I didn't already have two Corvettes in my 3-car garage, I'd be making the trip myself. I had the solution but my wife refuses to let me add 4-post lifts to make it a 4- 5- or 6-car garage. She never asks for much of anything so it's real hard to horse-trade with her.

Steven, er... nevets181,
Be safe over there and know that we all support you 100%. I'll keep an eye out for good deals on an 81 Red/Black Corvette. :thumb

Somebody at Carlisle just had an '81 4 speed black on black..
asking 15000...I thought it was a little high for the condition of the vette..
original St Louis car..paint was fair interior looked good....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom