Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Looking to replace bumpers?

Booie

Corvette
1979 Dark Green L-48 Coupe
I'm looking to replace my bumpers on my 1979 as there are starting to shrink and crack. What is the best type to replace them with . Flex Fit,Fiberglass or the Stock Urethane and would you stay stock or use the 80 Style front bumper,and did anyone use Ecklers ZR1 style Rear Bumper and how did it fit.

Flex fit or fiberglass. Don't listen to people who say if someone hits you with urethane that it won't crack. If someone hits my car, they're fixing it no matter what!

In the same boat, but with an 82

Hey all,

I am in the same boat but with my 82. I need to replace the front and rear bumpers, but at odds about which materials to get. When I look at the photos of the fiberglass replacements, it appears that the cutouts for the rear lights aren't there and that I would have to cut them out myself (admittedly more work than I want to do to a part I just ordered). The originals appear to be urethane and I really don't want to have the warping occur again.

So basically along with any advice you have for Booie, I could use some tips about the FlexFit, Easyfit, fiberglass, urethane etc...

Thanks!

I had the same problem a few years ago. Like Craig says, if you hit something you need to repair it nomatter what and then I would take my changes with fiberglass or flexfit. I don't remember what I have but the covers are just fiberglass when you look at them on the inside. Yes, you need to cut out the lenssupports on the rear bumper. Easy thing to do and I trust myself more to do the job right then the factory. One thing to add. First prefit the bumpers and see where they need some extra fiberglass or they have to much. Took me some time to correct the problems because I forgot to do this. Especially on fixed corners that were a little off. But then I want to have it on the 0.01" right maybe that isn't normal ;)

Greetings Peter

I put the flex fit/fiberglass bumpers on mine 5 years ago.
Ive had no problem either them whatsoever..
bear in mind though...they WILL be a custom fit for your corvette!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom