Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking to replacing rear end & suspension 72.

Big_Easy

Corvette
1972 Black Coupe
I am looking to replace the rear end & suspension in my 72, and would appreciate any help or guidance with articles and information on this subject. Thanks

Why?

Not trying to be clever or anything but I'm not sure what you mean by 'replace the rear end'. Do you mean replace the spring and rebush everything else?

For suspension parts I'm a big fan of VB&P, but I'm no fan of suspension work. Two years ago I decided to replace my strut rod bushings - "just a Saturday afternoon job" I told my wife in early October. I think I got finished just in time for Thanksgiving. 35 years of corrosion makes every suspension job a real PITA.

J

I changed my rear end due to a malfunction....the ring bolts loosened and went clunk to say the least...it trashed the housing so i couldnt use it as a core.
went from 3:05 to 3:55 and really like the jump out of the hole and from 70 mph.
It raised my rpm's about 1000 but it is a great ride and i wouldnt go back.
I did none of the work so im not much help on the job, but it really helped my vette.

I changed my shocks a while back and it helped the ride, but, changing the leaf spring REALLY made it like new. I recomend any one to change the spring if its the original and rather old....that i changed in a few hours and it was worth the money spent.

~Chas:cool

If you want to look at a corvette under recontruction, I've been following a web site called "The corvette restoration page". He shows and tells how he is restoring a corvette. Good pictures and such. Have a look!

rear spring

I changed my rear end due to a malfunction....the ring bolts loosened and went clunk to say the least...it trashed the housing so i couldnt use it as a core.
went from 3:05 to 3:55 and really like the jump out of the hole and from 70 mph.
It raised my rpm's about 1000 but it is a great ride and i wouldnt go back.
I did none of the work so im not much help on the job, but it really helped my vette.

I changed my shocks a while back and it helped the ride, but, changing the leaf spring REALLY made it like new. I recomend any one to change the spring if its the original and rather old....that i changed in a few hours and it was worth the money spent.

~Chas:cool
how was it acting before you changed the spring thanks mytoy

FWIW: the most recent issue of Corvette Enthusiast Magazine has a how to on rebuilding your rear spring.

:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom