Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Loose rear end

y2kvett

My 2000 has 91,000 miles and has developed a very loose rear end feel while on the freeway going straight at 70-80mph. It happens in what I call a float state...going straight forward and imperfections on the road tend to upset the car and I have to correct steering for it. It is a little unnerving. Everything is tight while on a lift and I have replaced the tie rod ends with no help. I will unhook everything this weekend and check the ball joints. Anyone have any other ideas?
Thanks,
Steve
:confused

The shocks are original, but I have kind of ruled them out as the action comes from left/right impact of the road not up/down. However, I do plan on replacing them. Have you experienced that as a fix?
Thanks,

The shocks are original, but I have kind of ruled them out as the action comes from left/right impact of the road not up/down. However, I do plan on replacing them. Have you experienced that as a fix?
Thanks,

I believe you are experiencing whats known as "Bump Steer" from improper wheel alignment!!:thumb
Whats it do when you go across a angled expansion joint on a bridge or roadway??:confused:confused
Does the car dance around with the traffic grooves in the road??:confused:confused

It does dance around, but not a lot, just enough to get your attention.
I thought about the alignment (toe in), but when I changed the tie rod ends, I stringed the alignment for toe in and it is definately different from before with the same float feeling. I'll unhook everything tomorrow (spring, shocks, sway bar) and check the ball joints. Something is worn out. This has been getting worse a little at a time so I'm sure it is a wear item.
Ideas?
Thanks,
Steve

It does dance around, but not a lot, just enough to get your attention.
I thought about the alignment (toe in), but when I changed the tie rod ends, I stringed the alignment for toe in and it is definately different from before with the same float feeling. I'll unhook everything tomorrow (spring, shocks, sway bar) and check the ball joints. Something is worn out. This has been getting worse a little at a time so I'm sure it is a wear item.
Ideas?
Thanks,
Steve
:L:L:L There is more to proper Alignment than just the rear toe!!
Allot of things come into play here,Your problem may not even be in the rear!! Camber,Caster,Toe,Thrust Angle,Steering Axis Inclination,Included Angle,Kingpin Offset/Scrub Radius,Toe-Out-On-Turns,Maximum Steering Angle,Set Back,Ride Height.Some angles are factory set and aren't adjustable,but aid in finding things that are bent or worn!:thumb:thumb:thumb
Tire Ware,Tire Belts,Tire Run-Out,Wheel Run-Out,Worn Wheel Bearings,All can play a Big,Big Part in the problem your having!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

There is no need to take anything apart to check Ball Joints,Tie Rod Ends,Control Arm Bushings,Stabilizer Bushings,Stabilizer Links,or Wheel Bearings! Fact is,It's easier to find worn parts and more accurate if you don't,As Long as you know what your doing!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Do yourself a favor and save yourself some time and $$$,Find someone with a Hunter Hawkeye or Pro Align Alignment System and Hunter GSP 9700 Road Force Balancer,That knows and understands completely how to use them before you have it so far out of whack that it takes a man 3-5 hours to set the car back up!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Just for the record....I'd follow GMJunkies advice. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom