Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Loose Top

Samauriwarrior

Corvette
1993 Torch Red, 6sp Coupe
The top to my new (to me :drool: ) toy (93 vette) seemes to vibrate and bounce around when I run over some rough roads. This weekend I took it off for the first time and checked it over. I did not see any problems. I put it back on being carefule to make sure every bolt was tight. I took it out for a spin and the darn thing still vibrates and makes noise when I run over bumps. Is there something I am missing here? I have tried to move it around and shake it but it is appears tight and solid. Anybody got any suggestions beside leave it off? :D

take some one with you on the next drive with the windows down and pull down on one side at a time, maybe that will help figure out which corner is still lose or not holding like it should?

I had that problem with mine. It took awhile & some mess'in around with the threaded plates to get it right; very frustrating at times but the results are worth it, peace & quiet.

If you put the rears in and lower the front almost all the way down & push up on the front bolts you can just see if the bolts are lined up with the nuts in the top. I had it about 1/4" from being down & looked in with a flashlight & saw which way I had to adjust the nut plates. It did take a few trys, so plan on about an hour to get it perfect. That was what was causing my rattle problems over rough roads. The screws were missing by just enough & they wouldn't stay tight.

Tom

Places like Mid-America,Corvette Central,etc. sell felt/foam strips that may help if yours are in bad shape,just a thought:)

tomtom72 said:
I had that problem with mine. It took awhile & some mess'in around with the threaded plates to get it right; very frustrating at times but the results are worth it, peace & quiet.

If you put the rears in and lower the front almost all the way down & push up on the front bolts you can just see if the bolts are lined up with the nuts in the top. I had it about 1/4" from being down & looked in with a flashlight & saw which way I had to adjust the nut plates. It did take a few trys, so plan on about an hour to get it perfect. That was what was causing my rattle problems over rough roads. The screws were missing by just enough & they wouldn't stay tight.

Tom

Replaced a top on mine from another car. It had to be adjusted. Like Tom said it takes a few tries but it can be rattle free. I left the nut plates just slightly snug so they would move when I tried to line up the holes.....took the top off and tightened them.

Those plates shouldn't be loose either... They loosen up over time and then the top won't really be fully tight.

Thanks every one for the advice. I will give it another try this weekend.

I worked on the top this weekend and was able to identify the rattle. It seems there is a bushing in the top rear bolts that was loose. I was able to tighten them and the rattle stopped. Thanks to all who provdied advise and suggestions.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom