Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Loss of Power

R

red_85

I have a red 85 350 TPI....I was going down the road and hit some bumps and after that I lost alot of power. I cannot chirp the tires even. It has half the get-up-and-go it used to. Help??

Which car?

I'm assuming the L-98.

Could you give us more descripton of how it drives.

Vig!

It used to idle @ around 850 to 900...now its at 550 or 570...idles rougher...like i said no umph when u mash the pedal...the exhaust sounds different. there's a rythmic hum when accellerating. it doesnt say L-98 anywhere

Ok wild guesses here

1) you took a BUMP.. and that's when things went BAD... you MIGHT have knocked/ Jarred the coil wireing that was getting ready to go.

OR

The rotor has ALOT of play in it.... when you took the BUMP... it could have tweaked the contacts internal of the rotor.... causing brionze bits to get scattered internal of the Distrib cap..... causing misfire.

2) A plug wire fell off..or got damaged.

3) A ground wire broke....

4) A vac line got pulled/knocked loose.

I would do a full inspection under the hood.

Still need more clues.......

Vig!

there is no problem from distrib cap to the spark plugs...hooked up toming light and all 8 are fine...so please some more tips

Ok.. is the power rough all across the rev range?

Or does it smooth out in certian area's

It's REALLY hard to get these problems with out driving the car myself... and experienceing it's "sounds".

Do you get a check engine light?

Whats the intake vac reading?

And do pull the cap to inspect it... the timing light test will tell you have enough to trigger the light.. not the actual amount of spark.

Check for the 4 pin connector ...on the back of the distrib.. going to the ECM is not silghtly disconnected... or the RED wire going to the cap (+12 ) is loose now... with the other 3 pin connector behind it.

Now these are all GUT HUNCH guesses.

Vig!

AND

How big of a bump.. were you running straight, or on a turn.. what condition is the car in..... Which side took the biggest jolt....

Vig!

Gus scores 10 points

"no umph when u mash the pedal...the exhaust sounds different. there's a rythmic hum when accellerating"

Go to your local muffler shop... they can preform a simple back pressure test ( 25.00 ish).. and that will take the guess work outta things.

Nice call Gus

Vig!

i was goin about 60 on the road and it was a series of bumps on either side....straight road....but thanks for all the help guys and when i find the problem i will let ya know what it was on here

Yes

By all means...keep us posted

Vig!

Check to see if the EST connector is connected ,its between the driver valve cover and the brake booster. This will usually show a # 42 code. If disconnected it will not allow any timing advance and the idle drops . It will be sluggish . You can check the operation of the EST by running the engine at 2000 rpm and with the ALCL ungrounded. check the timing . Then ground the test test terminal and the timing should change and 2000rpm. The EST is operating properly.

this may seem over simplistic, but did the car bottom out? and possibly collapse an exhaust pipe? That would certianly exhibit the symptoms you have indicated

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom