Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Lost Communication on 97 coupe

vigman

Motor head!!!!
Corvette
88 Convert ( SOLD ) /1973 coupe 4 speed/1964 Vert!
So I was trying to fix some DCM's and the problem pointed to Star connector 1. So I took it apart to check for corrosion, an there was a microscopic amount. So I took apart #2 and cleaned it as well. Put the car back together and No start! I polled for DCM's and EVERY system had lost it's mind! Now It currently cranks and there is spark AND the fuel pump comes up. So what do I do?
Help
:confused :eek :mad

After years and years of experience, with similar stuff happening on my equipment, I'd recommend that you check the simple stuff first.
  • Did you swap connector #1 and #2? (Sounds stupid, but I've seen it done)
  • Cleaning the connectors could have bent one of the contacts. Make sure all the solder connections are good, and that the pins are straight.
  • Is there anything that could be shorting the signals to ground? (I've seen cases where one strand of wire comes off the connector and contacts the shield, or the ground. This will cause some really interesting results.)
  • With all the moving and bending involved with taking a connector apart and cleaning it, it's possible a connection has been broken. Or if not broken loosened, creating a cold solder joint. This will raise the resistance of the connection, which would change the amplitude (and possibly the shape) of the signal going across the connection. One way to check for this is to Ohm the connection out. Anything above 1-2 ohm's is kind of high, but compare the results of each pin to the others in the connector. If they are all pretty much the same your probably good. If one is dramatically higher that is the culprit. It docent take much of a change in resistance to have a big change in a signal.

Hope this helps a little.

Jason
P.S. I'm a big believer in the "Smoke theory"

There are several theory's about how electronics works. The smoke theory states that: Electronics will work fine until you let the smoke out!:D

BINGO JASON!

:eyerole
Color me stupid, Star #2 connector pin 1 was pushed back out of the shell ( the main comm buss feed ) so after a little tweaking of the lock pin everything was back to the way it was:D

Thanks
Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom