Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Lost Keys

74bigblock

Corvette
2008 Z06
A co-worker's relative has a '76, and lost his keys. I've never encountered this problem before, and wanted to find out what options this guy has (besides finding the keys :boogie)?

;help

Thanks,
Dave

A co-worker's relative has a '76, and lost his keys. I've never encountered this problem before, and wanted to find out what options this guy has (besides finding the keys :boogie)?

;help

Thanks,
Dave
Key's can be made for it!!! It's a Pain in the WaZoo though!!!!:L:L:L

I have inserted the Right Blank and tried to turn it with a pair of pliers both directions this will mark the blank with the right depth of the tumblers on both sides and then I put it in a vice and cut the Blank with a small File!!! The draw back to this is sometimes it takes a couple Hours to make 1 Key,and it can be a Pain in the Butt to figure out the right blank!!!! But once you have it's easy to have more made!!! There are several different key blanks(A,B,C,D,E,F,G.......) If you want to take the Tumblers out of the column and left door,there are #'s on them and a Lock Smith can cut them off the #'s they usually get about $65. a Key around here!!!I don't know what they would charge in Chi-Town!!!:chuckle:chuckleBut I'd bet they'd get paid GOOD!!!!:eek:hnoes:boogie:boogie :upthumbs

Keys are coded; different codes were used for different years. He may be able to determine the correct key codes for his Corvette and obtain blank keys.

Is the car locked? If so, he will essentially have to break in to his own Corvette.

If the car is unlocked, he might be able to remove a door lock cylinder and the ignition cylinder and have a locksmith cut two keys.

Worse case scenario would be to replace both door locks and ignition cylinder with new.

Whatever the case, he will want to ensure he has a spare set of keys stored somewhere out of the car.

:)

(A,B,C,D,E,F,...) i guess these arent interchanable. is there any way to know what type of key a particular vehicle takes?

(A,B,C,D,E,F,...) i guess these arent interchanable. is there any way to know what type of key a particular vehicle takes?
It's stamped on the tumbler and the key if you have it!!! Different years and different models they were changed around so that Thieves would have a harder time figuring them out!!I have a book around here somewhere that gives a General,but sometimes it's still hard to figure out!!!:upthumbs

attachment.php

Key's can be made for it!!! It's a Pain in the WaZoo though!!!!:L:L:L

I have inserted the Right Blank and tried to turn it with a pair of pliers both directions this will mark the blank with the right depth of the tumblers on both sides and then I put it in a vice and cut the Blank with a small File!!! The draw back to this is sometimes it takes a couple Hours to make 1 Key,and it can be a Pain in the Butt to figure out the right blank!!!! But once you have it's easy to have more made!!! There are several different key blanks(A,B,C,D,E,F,G.......) If you want to take the Tumblers out of the column and left door,there are #'s on them and a Lock Smith can cut them off the #'s they usually get about $65. a Key around here!!!I don't know what they would charge in Chi-Town!!!:chuckle:chuckleBut I'd bet they'd get paid GOOD!!!!:eek:hnoes:boogie:boogie :upthumbs

Junk,

what's the process for removing the tumbler from the steering column?

Thanks,
D

Junk,

what's the process for removing the tumbler from the steering column?

Thanks,
D
Damn Dave,:chuckle:chuckleI can do it in my sleep;LOLBut to tell you I'd have to Kill ya!!!:rotfl:rotflI'll dig out a manual and post it for you, give me just a little time!!!:upthumbs:cool

Chassis and Service Manual, maybe a Chilton's, will tell you how to remove the ignition lock cylinder.

:)

thanks junkie. are both keys in a set usually the same codes. reason i ask is i have the original door key but a duplicate ingnition key.

Damn Dave,:chuckle:chuckleI can do it in my sleep;LOLBut to tell you I'd have to Kill ya!!!:rotfl:rotflI'll dig out a manual and post it for you, give me just a little time!!!:upthumbs:cool
This is for a different problem Dave,but you will be able to get the Tumblers out with some of these Instructions!!!:upthumbsPS "you don't have to take the column out"!!;LOL;LOL;LOL:rotfl

CLICK!!

thanks junkie. are both keys in a set usually the same codes. reason i ask is i have the original door key but a duplicate ignition key.
It depends on years!! If the Door key and Ignition key are the same key, Yes!! But on some years the Door and the Clove box are the same,and some the Ignition and Glove box are the same and the Spair tire carrier and the Door are the same!!! The square key and the round key will not be the same letter on the keys on the same car from the factory!!!:upthumbs

Thanks Junk!

That's why I always write the key codes down and carry them in my wallet, in case I get in a bind and have to have a key made; have never had to, but there's always a first time. As far as I know, the ignition and door keys have been the same since they went to two keys in 1965, with the glove box and spare tire lock using the other key (but I don't know C3's that well). :)

That's why I always write the key codes down and carry them in my wallet, in case I get in a bind and have to have a key made; have never had to, but there's always a first time. As far as I know, the ignition and door keys have been the same since they went to two keys in 1965, with the glove box and spare tire lock using the other key (but I don't know C3's that well). :)
Well,I just went to the barn and checked my 78 to be sure, I haven't driven it in 6-8 months,fact is I've not put 500 miles on it since I got my C5!! The door and the spare are the round one the Ignition and the glove box are the square one!! I have the keys the car came with new,and I've been the Only owner!!:D:D:D

Find a good locksmith. A good locksmith can pull the cylinders and obtain the key codes without doing any damage to the car. It is real simple for someone who knows what they are doing and has the right tools. Without the knowledge and the tools it can be a bear and you can create problems. On my 70 the door and igintion are the same keys. I don't know when they changed it but a locksmith will. Especially one who is over 50 years old.

I think most , if not all, 76 vettes had the C and D marked keys.. if that helps ?

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom