Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Lost numbers in engine id pad

KTM

Corvette
1967 Convertible
Hi,

my Vette has lost it´s #-match engine in early 80´s. Now I maybe found it or not. This 327 engine is very good and dates are very close in inletmanifold and cylinder heads. Problem is that sometimes ago in the machine shop block is done desent way and allmost all info on the id pad has gone. In some article at Driveline they told some chemical way to get numbers visible for a short time. Does anybody remeber this or eaven better does anybody used this method?

I read something like that in Corvette Fever and they said it was an acid. It was also stated that the boy's in blue may be able to help you.

Rick

I've also been told that police agencies have some chemical that will raise numbers that have been filed/ground off. This is the same "stuff" that they use for guns, etc. that have the SN's ground off. Can't speak for Finland, but it would be worth a call to your local police dept. I'd ask what they use. Chuck

Engine pads

KTM,

It sounds like you are a NCRS member. Click here for a list of the Restorer magazines that had articles about number pads. I remember reading in the Restorer about being able to bring up a ground off or machined off number due to the metal being effected under where the numbers were.

If you don't have all of these issues let me know. I'll try to find the info for you this weekend. You could also ask on the NCRS Technical Discussion Board . I'm sure someone there will know exactly what process you are referring to.

Tom

Thank you all! I just came home from our weekend trip and next I have to check witch Corvette Restorer magazines I can find from my collection. Tomorrow I will call one friend of mine who is police officer and ask if he knows that "stuff".

My friend from local police called me yesterday. They do have some kind of acid witch could solve my problem. He did not konw the name of the stuff, but next week he will ask from they lab what it is and where I can get it. :)

That's good news. let us know what you find.

Tom

For what it is worth, I've used nitric acid to raise dates on Type 1 Liberty Standing Quarters. It makes the numbers visible enough to determine the date. The liquid was a commercially available product. I'll try to find the brand name. good luck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom