Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Lost the keys!!!

H

Henri 79

Oh boy, what to do?!?!
After moving, I've lost the keys from my '79. The 'main' set as well as the spare set...

Luckily I just bought a '91 so I'm not really 'vetteless', but the '79 needs new keys.

What are your advices? There is some guy here in the Netherlands who is a locksmit specialized in classic cars. He can make new keys if you bring him the locks. I have the lock from the storage compartment still out of the car, so that should do with the door locks. (Car is open, fortunately)
But the ignition key... I think I have to remove the ignition key lock... I do have the Ass. Manual, the Service Manual and a Chilton, but from none it is 100% clear to me how to proceed...

And the tank also has a lock on it... Fortunately the tank is full...

Or is there a better way...? I hope there is?!!?!

Please help me!

Henri,
the Netherlands.

Just a thought, the same key works the door lock and the ignition, right? Pull the door lock out and take it to a good locksmith. They should be able to make you a replacement key.

tom...

Tom,
I'm not sure about that? On my '81 the door key is different from the ingition key.

I read this post earlier and trying to think if maybe the GM Key# would be somewhere in the car information or somehow tied to the VIN, but until I get home and look I'm not sure. As I recall when I bought my '80 new it came with little half moon key knockouts with the GM Key code on it, but I was thinking it is somewhere else too..

Good Luck Henri

BudD
:)

I'm not sure about Corvettes because I never had the original owner's manual, but I seem to recall the owners manual for my '74 Jimmy had a paper cut out of the key as well as a # for just such an occasion. You could cut it out and take it to have one made. But again, I'm not exactly sure, as I don't remember the manual too well. But the owner's manual is as good a place to start as any, if you still have it.

T Jay

So you lost your keys.....

and your convinced there LOST in the snow...not under the car seat, right?!

So you need a steering wheel puller & wheel spring compressor.

Remove the horn, The wheel unbolts the hub pulls off ( with the steering wheel puller)

Then you need the spring ( lock plate remover)

This threads to the steering wheel shaft & presses the round metal bit down so you can remove a C clip & release it with out killing yourself.

Then your down to the turn signal, 3 screws hold that in & 1 screw for the turn signal stalk.

Move the stalk out of the way & slide the turn signal switch twds you.

You will now see A torx screw ( upper right in the steering column)

This will release the lock cylinder.

( buy a new set first & have it on hand )

Mid America 603-084 $26.99 79/82 With key

The tools @ Sears are about 20 bucks each

So for under 125.00 USD ( i'm sure shipping isn't cheap) your set.

Mike

Oh Yeah

The Door & the Ignition are different keys.

Mike

Just moved...

...start opening boxes and looking before you go to the trouble of taking things apart to make keys. Sure as heck, as soon as you have keys made, you'll find the originals! Try searching for a bit first.
Silver

ps, folks owned a moving and storage business...boxes hold an amazing amount of unrelated items that you'd think would never be packed together in a million years!

Thanks guys. Indeed, first I'll search 'a little more' before going into the stress of actually removing the cylinder. Yikes, what a list of things to remove to get there!!!

It would be wonderful if there is any connection between VIN's and key numbers.

My Vette is ?nd handed (yep, ?) and all the original paperwork is long lost.

Oh now something hits me, I do know the original owner in the States, maybe she can help me out... Maybe she recorded these numbers somewhere!!! A little luck.......

Henri,
the Netherlands.

If you take the steering column apart I would replace the turn signal cancel cam while I was in there. It seems they don't last and I think only 10 bucks or so for a new one.

GM key codes

They only go back 7 years or so!

looks like a full scale search & rescue

Mike

Re: Oh Yeah

vigman said:
The Door & the Ignition are different keys.
When did they make the change? My 73's use the square headed key for door and ignition. The round head is for the storage compartment and security system.

tom...

key change?

I don't know when, but 78 has a square key for the ignition and round key for the doors and storage/spare tire.
Heidi

Rut-Roo

My 73 has square for Ign, and oval for door and hatches & spare tire lock.

Mike

FOUND!!!!!!

Ok guys, we can all relax now...

This afternoon I found them again... Hidden in a hideous place. Fortunately I didn't start a disassembly of some sort.
The best solution in such a case is just finding the original set of keys back.

I AM SO HAPPY!!!!:J

Thanks everyone for your responses. Oh, and my '79 uses two different keys, one for doors, glovebox & luggage compartment and one for the ignition.

Bye!!!

Come on Henri, tell us which jacket they were in!!!

I'm glad you found them, I had to replace the ignition in my 69 Z/28 when my key's were lost at work. I wouldn't leave the car there over night.
The next day, new key's in hand found the damn thing's!

Have fun this summer driving it!

Rick

RalleyRed said:
Come on Henri, tell us which jacket they were in!!!

:L Like the guy who was looking for his glasses when they were on top of his head the whole time! :L

_ken :w

They were in the refridgerator, right :Silly ?

:dance
Guy

Re: Rut-Roo

vigman said:
My 73 has square for Ign, and oval for door and hatches & spare tire lock.

I see when the change happened, from 73 to 74. Per the NCRS Judging Guide for 73/74 it states "1973 Corvette uses the square-headed key for the ignition and the door cylinders, while in 1974 the square-headed key only fits the ignition cylinder and the oval-headed keys fits the doors, the storage compartment, and the spare tire lock" The 73 and earlier cars used a "Briggs-Stratton" key for the spare tire lock.

Mike, you '73 sounds more like a '74. Is it a very late production 73?

tom...

The keys were found in a cupboard where all the 'loose' stuff was dumped after the move.

Of course we'd checked this cupboard over and over. Last saturday I was installing broader shelves and had to clean out the cupboard completeley. And there they were, the little bastards. The 'original' set as well as the spare set....

Started the '79 up yesterday after a five month hybernation. It even started on the battery without any help. Great Vette, I almost feel sorry for myself I've sold it...
But then I look at the '91 and think... Aw well, look what I've got in return ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom