Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Loud clicking noise

fstblk66

Corvette
66 coupe,72 vert,
Took the 66 out this weekend and enjoyed a couple of intermediate high speed freeway runs. well upon returning home I began to notice a loud clicking noise coming from the driverside engine area the sound is noticible at idle as soon as car is started, the higher the RPM the faster the sound becomes. What could this be the Headers, clutch, internal engine ? any and all comments will be very much appreciated. The engine was recently rebuilt headers are installed and car still seems to run fine except for this annoying sound.

Sometimes an exhaust leak can sound like licking. Check your header bolts and the bolts at the collector. if you see any exhaust residue in these area then replace the gaskets if tightening doesn't help.
Good luck,
4spd

Hopefully it is an exchaust leak

an exhaust leak would sound more like a "puf puf puf" air noise

But it can aslo be a floated lifter from an over rev

Does it have any metalic sound to it.

Like "clack clack clack"

A exhaust leak would be loud for certain,try looking for exhaust stained areas around all of the gasket surfaces and see if the header bolts are tight. New headers need retighned about four times till everything takes a set. Worse case scenario would be a cam shaft going flat or a rod knock.BTW and this is important the oil companies have lowered the Zinc content in the oil wich helps prevent cam lobe ware.A good alternative is running shell rotella oil or running a additive like GM EOS or Lucas. Good luck!

Years ago on Power Tour from IL to CA on rte66, my sb developed a noise like a loose valve lifter knocking. After using 2 feet of heater hose to locate the noise as a tiny exhaust leak at the bottom of #3 port, I replaced the gasket in the motel6 parking lot in Albuquerque. It took 21 minutes, the time missing off the clock when I reconnected the battery (the LH manifold holds the alternator). I wish you the same luck.

PS the replacement Roll gasket held up much better.

It sound like a broken valve spring. If it has a dual spring inner and a outer the inner spring is whats holding the valve up. Pull the valve cover off and give it a good look!

I had a loud clicking and clacking noise that slowly developed in my L-79 near the distributor, couldn't figure out what it was. Readjusted all the hydraulic lifters, etc. I was hoping it wasn't something internal.

Turned out the threaded distributor tach cable cup had worked loose and the gear on the end of the tach cable was bouncing back and forth on the distributor gear. Tightened it back up with a channel lock pliers and the noise was gone.

Lucky that I didn't strip the gears. PT

Thanks for everyone input as most of you figured it was a leak in the header gasket. never thought a bad header gasket could make such a distinctive noise.

Assuming you don't enjoy changing header gaskets, use Stage 8 locking bolts or pre-drilled ARP header bolts and safety-wire them and you'll never have to change a gasket again. If you don't, those bolts WILL loosen again - they're too short to stretch and develop/maintain clamping force in the joint.

ARPHeaderBolt.JPG

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom