Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

lousy day

jimbo64

Corvette
1964 RED CONVERTIBLE
Great sunny day and I thought For that momma and me would give 64 a little exercise, Started car and windshield wipers came on and stayed on, had to disconnect switch to use vehicle. How does that switch come out? Went for short ride, car running great and decided to stop home and let the dogs out. Was backing into the garage when the car stalled. Cannot shift into any gear and cannot move the car in reverse-let clutch out and she stalls. could not move shifter handle into any of the forward 4 speeds. Frustrating since this has not been a corvette summer for us and thought that maybe we would get some use out of it this fall. Right now think momma would like to junk it. oh well, lets hear some thoughts on transmission lockup. Never did this before so new ground for me, like I have this kind of spare time. :mad

jimbo64,

The shifter linkage may be the problem. Perhaps one rod is jammed. Try getting underneath and work the rods while someone holds the clutch in and works the shifter. Watch for crushed fingers.....not to mention a crushed body if you don't secure the car properly. ;)

As for the wiper switch, the knob is held on with an Allen screw, and the switch is held in place by a unusual threaded sleeve (probably not the correct terminology). If I remember right, I used needle-nose pliers (one point in each slot....you'll see what I mean) to loosen/tighten.

:)

...for the switch, the knob either has a hex head screw or a slotted screw keeping it on...once you remove the knob, you'll see a double slotted ring which threads on to the post and retains the switch in the console....carefully tap the slot in the ring ccw with a screw driver and lightweight hammer to get it started and unscrew the switch...there's a pin tool that's made for that application but this will work if you're careful

for the drivetrain problem, did you notice if all the shifter rods are in place? does the clutch pedal continue to move the clutch arm back and forth to engage/disengage the friction plate...whatever it is, it's stupid easy, just a question of finding it

Thanks for those that responded, will try to find a little time today to get under it and see if I can clear it. What can be done to prevent it happening again. This is the first time that it has ever did it. It would be real interesting on a road trip. Probably cost me my marriage.
Thanks again

....REALLY good point from 67HEAVEN...now i remember that i had exactly this same problem with my cars and swapped the shifters out for a Hurst Competition Plus and solved the problem

Great sunny day and I thought For that momma and me would give 64 a little exercise, Started car and windshield wipers came on and stayed on, had to disconnect switch to use vehicle. How does that switch come out? Went for short ride, car running great and decided to stop home and let the dogs out. Was backing into the garage when the car stalled. Cannot shift into any gear and cannot move the car in reverse-let clutch out and she stalls. could not move shifter handle into any of the forward 4 speeds. Frustrating since this has not been a corvette summer for us and thought that maybe we would get some use out of it this fall. Right now think momma would like to junk it. oh well, lets hear some thoughts on transmission lockup. Never did this before so new ground for me, like I have this kind of spare time. :mad

That sucks!

Well, at least someone didn't hit your car while it was parallel parked. That happened to me on Friday. A couple of folks backed into my car rather hard and then left the scene. Fortunately, there were a bunch of witnesses who wrote the car's plate down and made statements to the police. That was my day.

:mad

My 64 shifter

Had a similar issue..

It would NOT go into reverse.. and I got locked up between 1st & 3rd
Based on the levers.

1 )The bushings that went to the shift arms were GONE.. and the clips were pieces of bailing wire ( read LOTS of slop).

2) Prior owner had an AFTER MARKET Hurst installed ( and I use that term loosly ) the bolts were WRONG.. and I had MORE SLOP.

3) The arm on the tranny for reverse had LOTS of road scum on it.
and no lock washers on the bolts holding the tranny side of the arm.

Outcome

Under the car for 2+ hrs.. cleaning, tightining.. replaced ALL the bushings
got the PROPER CLIPS which were a PITA to install.. a few little adjustments.. a liberal amount of lube.. and I was golden.

Take a look... I'll bet all the arms on the tranny side are not facing straight down.. You can move em by hand.. I would get the car in the air ( PLEASE USE PROPER JACKS )so you can move the tranny internals via moving the drive shaft.. to possibly unload the shift arms/levers.. and click.. the problem child will click back to it's center detent.

Vig~

hey, i'll tell you a story that will make your day

..i have been farting around with my small block for months, put on a new set of heads, intake and a vortech blower...it ran decent enough but it was obvious that i had to dial in the carb...then, after a run i put in in the garage and the noise coming from the rocker valley sounds like a coffee can full of rocks...the guy who rebuilt my engine is a putz so i figure to hell with his cam (solids) and i buy the equivalent comp cam in a hydraulic lifter version...obviously had to tear the engine apart again....this morning i went to fire it up and while i was dry cranking it to make sure i had oil pressure, coolant began leaking from the passenger side side pipe....had to take it apart AGAIN, probably left an intake bolt or two sealed incorrectly...so now i rebuild it with pounds of sealant, make sure all the water is out of the heads and i just said to hell with it

....but, i'll be back at it tomorrow

hey, it happens, despite the best planning;shrug

jimbo64,

The shifter linkage may be the problem. Perhaps one rod is jammed. Try getting underneath and work the rods while someone holds the clutch in and works the shifter. Watch for crushed fingers.....not to mention a crushed body if you don't secure the car properly. ;)

As for the wiper switch, the knob is held on with an Allen screw, and the switch is held in place by a unusual threaded sleeve (probably not the correct terminology). If I remember right, I used needle-nose pliers (one point in each slot....you'll see what I mean) to loosen/tighten.

:)
hey 67----that did it -in she went with a little persuasion. once we got them back in the neutral position everything worked again. I'll aso check the bushings as vigman suggested once I can get it up on a lift. Now I'll check on the wiper prob.
Took the car;) out after the shifter episode, rode by a local car show-stopped-had never entered one before and came home with a nice trophy- I guess the sun is shining again. Again thanks for all the help from all of you. Some days are just meant to be frustrating I guess. jimbo 64

Update-----installed new wiper switch and they turn on and off as in normal again-Had ordered new switch for Willcox Corvette -----great price
if there is such a thing and came in three days. Will order from them again.
Back in action again. Now have to tackle radio power prob. I do enjoy working on it though. Have a great weekend all and thanks to all who responded,:beer:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom