Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Louvered Splash Shields

paul67

Corvette
1974 convertible
I posted this elsewhere and got some flak re copyright as to putting up a scanned copy of the original article in the Fall 2006 edition of NCRS's "The Corvette Restorer" as to the function of these parts. So I won't do that here.

But the parts are mine as are the pics. So here goes. The louvered splash panels direct engine heat away from the firewall and passenger compartment. Nice idea I have yet to try as it is winter here. Just thought I would share.

louvers005.jpg

Sounds like a perfectly logical way to reduce heat through the floor pan; probably took some time to find a guy with louver dies, didn't it?

:beer

John,
They were done in the USA west coast on the advice of the NCRS author. Then shipped to eastern Canada.

Sounds like a perfectly logical way to reduce heat through the floor pan; probably took some time to find a guy with louver dies, didn't it?

OK, John, here's a question for you. Which sense would be correct for installing the louvres? That is, louvres open forward and down (problem because of a boundary layer effect?) or louvres open to the back, up or down?

Neat stuff, thanks.

OK, John, here's a question for you. Which sense would be correct for installing the louvres? That is, louvres open forward and down (problem because of a boundary layer effect?) or louvres open to the back, up or down?

Neat stuff, thanks.
Louvres open down and to the back....let the draw of the outside air over them draw the air out.....

venturi effect?

probably took some time to find a guy with louver dies, didn't it?

Sometimes it is very surprising what sources can be found. When I lived in Montreal and was building a '32 Ford 3 window coupe, I wanted to build my own hood out of aluminum. There was a metal fabrication plant at the end of the street where I worked. One evening I dropped in to see the evening shift manager and asked if they had any scraps that I could scrounge for brackets and gussets as I built this car.

To my amazement, they built pizza ovens and one of their machines was a large louver press! After explaining what I wanted and showing them some photos of other louvered hot rods, the press operator and the night manager agreed to punch as many louvers as I wanted in the hood in exchange for a case of 24 of beer. Turned out great too!

Unfortunately they have since moved and I don't know where they went.

Paul, I love the idea of those louvered splash shields

Take care,
Brian

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom