Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Low Idle on Start

jester

Corvette
1988 35th Anniversary Edition
I am having an inteminttent problem with my 1988 L98 Corvette.

Sometimes the car starts right up and runs fine immediately.
Other times it doesn't start right away, but when I let off on the starter, the car will actually be running at about 300 to 400 RPMs. In a few seconds it will gradually come up to normal idle speed and then runs/idles fine until the next restart. It doesn't seem to matter if the car is cold or hot. Occassionally it will stall before it gets up to normal idle and needs to be restarted.

The car is a totally stock automatic with 34,000 miles on it. It started doing this occassionally last year and has slowly gotten worse.

It has had a tuneup at a GM Corvette shop and they didn't find anything. (Of course they always work fine when in the shop.) I have also replaced the Engine coolant temperature sensor.

I have looked at most of the starting issues in the forums, but haven't seen one quite like this.

Anyone have any ideas?

Look at some of the grounding lines to engine/gearbox....It helped me..

Hi mr.corvette, Thanks for the reply. Checking grounds is probably a good thing to do on a 14 year old car. I'll check it out. I was wondering if the Idle Air Control Motor could cause these symptoms. Anyone know about that?

Thanks,
I'll try the IAC this weekend and see how it goes.

Starting Problem/idle

I fixed this problem by pulling off the air intake from the filter to the carb. Then I cleaned the heck out of the carb with a spray carb cleaner. Let it dry real well before putting back together.
I guess it was all sticky in there. Also check your PCV valve and fuel filter. Best of luck.

Just to close the loop on this one. I replaced the IAC over the weekend and the car now seems to be working fine. I wasn't able to get a socket on the IAC, so I ended up pulling the Throttle Body so I could get an end wrench on the IAC. This provided the added benefit of being able to do a good job of cleaning the TB and didn't add a lot of time to the repair.

Thanks to those who provided input through the forum.

I ordered the IAC through MidAmerica. It had the proper pintel and installed with no problems.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom