Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

low mileage '01

Corvette
2001 navy 'vert
Good afternoon everyone!

I just bought a 2001 Convertable 6 spd with under 3000 miles on it.
I've been surfing around CAC learning about the car.
I saw in one area that the '01 has over 100 service bulletins written
on it. Is this something i should be overly concerned about??
Thats a lot of stuff to get looked at. With such low miles, i wonder
if any of it HAS been looked at?? I guess the one that caught my eye is the recall about the steering wheel lock....
o what to do??? :eek:hnoes

thanks for any ideas

Rod

An 8 year old hanger queen. Could be a great find.

Have your local dealer check it out to see if any or all the 'recalls' have been completed. The steering wheel lock can be very frustrating if it has not been fixed.

Have all the fluids changed. The coolant is probably past due for change. Brake fluid sucks up moisture and will lose it's high boiling point capability. Watch for leaks - engine seals like to be kept lubricated - water pump shaft seals are a common problem on cars not driven much. Running the car in the garage doesn't put miles on the car but it can help prevent seal problems.

Are the tires original? Old tires can be dangerous even with lots of tread left on them.

That's my 2-cents. Hope this one has been taken care of properly and treats you right.

I bought it sight unseen from Corvette Palace in Austin Texas. I've read many places on-line that they are a very reputable dealer, selling only low mileage, high quality Corvettes. He said that the car has been fully serviced, so i would think at least some of those things have been done.
Hopefully the '01 will be a winner for me. We just had a foot of snow here yesterday, so it will be a while before i get it trucked home.

It sure sounds like a great find. I bought a 2000 convertible about 2 years ago with 37,000 on it and have not had a major problem with it. I love it and I hope you will enjoy your '01 just as much.

Did you check with anyone about any bulletins or recalls on your 2000??
How about the steering wheel lock??

Dealer had checked all of the recalls and bulletins. I haven't had any problem with the steering wheel lock, so far. Plus the former owner was the president of a local Vette club so is was spotless.

I bought it sight unseen from Corvette Palace in Austin Texas. I've read many places on-line that they are a very reputable dealer, selling only low mileage, high quality Corvettes. He said that the car has been fully serviced, so i would think at least some of those things have been done.
Hopefully the '01 will be a winner for me. We just had a foot of snow here yesterday, so it will be a while before i get it trucked home.

I bought my Z16 from Corvette Palace last fall. I had a really good experiance. How about you? Sight unseen is pretty scary... I'm very Impressed with them. :thumb:thumb:thumb

Years ago (1999) I bought a 2100 mile 1996 CE LT4 from a very reputable dealer sight unseen in Florida. I lost 1 gallon of coolant on the drive home and blew up no long afterward due to a burned head gasket.
Hanger queens can be a real blessing or a real PITA.
Lucky for me, GM bit the bullet on this one and paid for a new motor. Getting the rust and water out of the fuel tank was the last clean up I had to do. After that, it turned out to be a sweet car.

Tuna,
I hope i have a better experiance than you did...that was some tough luck. What did the dealer have to say about all that??

Big Jim,
I'll let you know how everything went after its all done.
I'm going to get on the phone and tell them to put it in a truck
and ship it up here....this last dump of snow we got should be melted by then.

Tuna,
I hope i have a better experiance than you did...that was some tough luck. What did the dealer have to say about all that??

Big Jim,
I'll let you know how everything went after its all done.
I'm going to get on the phone and tell them to put it in a truck
and ship it up here....this last dump of snow we got should be melted by then.

The truck/trailer/driver that delivered mine were all first class. Shannon makes sure everything is righteous and ready for you. I was very impressed with their entire operation. You will not be disappointed. My Z06 was even better than the pictures on their website. I looked at your new ride on their website... NICE!!!

When you call them to set up delivery tell Shannon I said HI!!

Did you check with anyone about any bulletins or recalls on your 2000??
How about the steering wheel lock??

Do a search here for safety recalls and tech bulletins.

ODI - Office of Defects Investigation

If you take your VIN into any Chevy dealership service dept, they should be able to pull up the information on your particular car.

If you ask nicely, you may be able to get them to print you out a VIN report and a build sheet.

At least mine did.

Have Fun, Enjoy, and Save the Wave!

stl1psu,
i'll fer shur go to the local dealer and see if i can sweet talk them into doing that....
thanks!

Well, I went to the Chev dealer. They printed out a build sheet, and what they call the ''GM vehicle inquiry system''. It mentioned the recall for the steering lock, and the only thing that was done was ''perform reprogram and functional test-manuals on''. I suppose this is the first of the many recalls you guys are talking about.... Thats the only time the car had any warrenty work done, only 2900 miles so i suppose nothing wrong. I guess i'll just have to wait until the delivery truck shows up from Texas. Then i'll be able to see if the steering wheel is free when the key is on, or listen for the locking pin motor.

I guess i'll just have to wait until the delivery truck shows up from Texas. Then i'll be able to see if the steering wheel is free when the key is on, or listen for the locking pin motor.

The waiting really sucks... It's worth it!! :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom