Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Low oil pressure?

toomuchtorque

Corvette
2002 Black Z06
Occasionally when I push the clutch in the oil pressure gauge drops to 0 and the "Check Gauges" light comes on momentarily. As soon as I get into gear and let the clutch out completely, the oil pressure goes back to normal and the "Check Gauges" light turns off. Also, I've been getting the "Low Oil" light intermittently. Last time I checked (3 weeks ago), the oil level was fine. Anybody know whats wrong? Thanks in advance.

Does this happen when you let the engine idle with the trans in neutral and the clutch engaged? If so, you may have low oil pressure due to a worn pump or worn out main bearings. If you have good pressure when idling in neutral with the clutch engaged, you have an electrical gremlin somewhere behind (or in ) the instrument cluster.

toomuchtorque said:
Occasionally when I push the clutch in the oil pressure gauge drops to 0 and the "Check Gauges" light comes on momentarily. As soon as I get into gear and let the clutch out completely, the oil pressure goes back to normal and the "Check Gauges" light turns off. Also, I've been getting the "Low Oil" light intermittently. Last time I checked (3 weeks ago), the oil level was fine. Anybody know whats wrong? Thanks in advance.
1) How many miles on this engine?

2) Has the oil pressure indications on the IP been checked against a known-good gage?

In mine the sending unit was going bad causing me to see faulty readings. I am not sure if it is the same setup on your 95 or not.

Justin

Thanks for replying guys.

George, to answer your question: it happens when the clutch is engaged regardless of whether or not I am in gear (I think, but I will double-check tomorrow).
Hib, to answer your questions: the car has 55XXX miles on it and no, the gauge hasn't been checked against a good one. I may do that tomorrow.
I love my car, but it never gives me a break!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom