Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Low tire pressue sensors...

Topless

Corvette
1992 Convt w/hard top; 2004 Z06 Z16; 1962 327/300
Can someone confirm one way or another something for me, please.

I have heard that all 92 vettes had the receiver installed from the factory. The difference was that when someone ordered the option, the sensors were installed on the wheels.

Reason I ask is that mine does not have the sensors, but I might have a line ona a set of them, and would like to add them if possible.

Thanks.
Mike

I'm not positive, but I belive that they DID NOT come with the recievers installed in the dash, or the "LTPWS" light would stay on all the time. It's on the same fuse circut as the cruise control.

Why would you want them? Unless you want to run "run-flat" tires?

Only way to get that darn light to go out is to pull the bulb from the back of the Drivers Information Center screen! Or, pull the fuse, but then you lose your cruise control function.

According to the "Black Book" - Low Tire Pressure Warning System RPO- UJ6 was installed in 3,416 vettes out of around 20,479 built in 1992 model year.

Check your RPO codes for the "UJ6" under the console lid, or rear compartment lid, or glove box, wherever it is on a 92.

I don't know about LT-1's but you can remove the LTPS in the 90-92 ZR-1's and the LTPS light won't stay on. If removed them from the 93-95 ZR-1's the light will stay lit. The trick I've been told is to remove the bulb in the later models, if you remove the LTPS and don't want the light to stay on. 84 CF 91 ZR-1.

I'm not certain about your year, but on my '89 I found that if NONE of the sensors were installed then the LTPWS alarm did not light up. If one to three were installed then the system realized that something was wrong and lit up the LTPWS lamp.
I also found that someone had removed the LOW TIRE PRESSURE, LTPWS and other warning lamps - which I replaced during routine inspection (that's how I found out about the two missing sensors).
You might try borrowing one sensor, or mounting a wheel with a sensor (from the same year!) mounted and see if the LTPWS alarm goes on.
If you have a FSM check the exact wording of the description of the LTPWS operation, that's what clued me as to what was happening with the strange alarms on my car.
HTH LOL

Tony- That is something like what I heard. That is that the receiver was installed, but if no sensors were sending signals, the system just stayed off.

The reason I want the sensors is that it is not always easy to tell if the pressure is low. One time, one of the tires looked *a little* low. Turns out, it was completely flat!

-Mike

Topless: I think the LTP and LTPWS lamps come on during the lamp check at startup. If they do, then the control module is probably installed. If not, you can pull the console face plate and see if the bulbs have been removed, then replace them and try the startup check again. Your sensors are different than mine ('89) and could be hard to get. The FSM should tell you where the control module is located. On my '89 it's behind the passenger dash pad - very difficult to get to, and probably the reason I believe it was installed in all '89's, but without any sensors unless yoj ordered the option. There's no other reason for the LTPWS system to NOT fire off an alarm when ALL sensors fail to report.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom