Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

low tire sensors

A

aholland

Does anybody have some used low tire sensors that works that dont wont a arm and a leg for it .

What year is your Corvette?
There were several different sensors used depending on the year.

Bad luck! You have the more costly sensors. Are you sure they're not working? Not being a wise a**, but sometimes folks don't understand how the system works. It checks for a response from 1,2,3 or 4 sensors. If one to three are missing the system displays "Check Low Tire Pressure System" or somesuch. If all four are missing the system thinks it isn't installed and stays mum. Even if some are missing the remaining sensors still work, while still griping about the system itself it will display Low Tire Pressure warning.
Which errors are you getting ? If you have any sensors installed try lowering the pressure in that tire to under 25 lbs and see if it displays a warning.
Do the warnings display at start up in the control panel ? Sometimes folks remove the lamps there. Keep us posted on what you find.

I checked the wheels and the sensors are not on there.

OK. No sensors. I think the Low Tire system was standard for your year. When you first turn on the ignition do you get any indication that the system is there ? It should display something. I don't have a 94 brochure so I can't see if the system was standard. Try putting another post up with the title "94 Low tire system". It may bring more help from another 94 owner.
If you don't have any part of the system, go to tirerack.com they have an aftermarket system that is way less costly than trying to retrofit a complete system into your car. Of course some members scorn any such system and will tell you to use a guage and check your tires the old fashioned way. I like my system but I probably wouldn't retrofit it. A tire guage is only $2 and you get the chance to visually inspect your tread as well. Just my .02$.
I'm not pushing you off, post it if you see any indication that you really have the LTPWS system.

I guess I lied. I do have the Corvette Black Book. This lists the standard and optional items for all corvette. The 94 had an OPTION for the Low Tire system. It's coded UJ6. The equipment on your car should be listed somewhere in the car. Try the inside of the Console or glove box lid. If you see a bunch of three character codes you've found it. Look for UJ6. If it's there then you surely have the control module. That's good because it's a major cost to buy, and probably a HUGE PITA fo install in some remote location, and then buy/make a harness for it. The 4 sensors are also pricey, check out ebay. I was missing one when I got my 89 7 years ago. It cost me $150 for it and mine were the el cheapo sensors.
BTW if you plan to do any work on your car - get a factory service manual. Try Helms.inc for a new one, or ebay. The Haynes or Chilton books are a poor alternate. The FSM is invaluable not just for repairs, but also for learning about your car.

My vette had the low tire system on it but the owner before me took the sensors off the wheels. Iam looking for the sensors to put back on the wheels.

I guess you've fuly identified the problem. Make sure you get the correct sensors. Try your nearby dealer to get the exact part numbers, and then re-post here and in the Partrs Wanted Forum. You could also check the For Sale Forum to see if anyone has them. Once you get the PN's there is also GMPartsdirect Ebay and other sources.
Good Hunting

I talked to this guy at Carlisle a few weeks ago and he has a "pick-up truck" full of them.

Vette Wrecks Chucks Used Auto Parts
Corvettes
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial]City, State Zip:[/FONT] Marlow Heights, Maryland USA
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial]Local Phone:[/FONT] 301-423-0007
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial]Toll Free:[/FONT] 800-462-0123
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial]Fax:[/FONT] 301-899-1535

tonylong-

<<If all four are missing the system thinks it isn't installed and stays mum.>>

Guess my '95 does not behave as it should. I removed all 4 of my sensors and the LWPS light never fails to come on after the first couple of miles after each startup. I've read the easiest way to to get rid of light is to get in behind the DIC screen cover and "pop" the lamp. That's on my list of things to do.

Yeah the later sensors are smarter. Yours probably have a battery in them and they may also transmit the temp and other stuff too. Mine are simple minded and no battery. Never needs replacing and unless you bash them with a hammer they don't break.

Well, I opened one up. Easy, just pop the rear cover off. No battery. Small emf generator sends signal to mama unit in dash as the tire rotates. Actually, once I had 1 out and 3 in. Would you believe that by just shaking the unit the LWPS light would go out while driving. I must have looked weird doing that. Only thing though was it showed low pressure because it was measuring cabin pressure, which is practically zero.

That is what mine looks like inside - no battery. They use a piezoelectric crystal that creates electricity when vibrated. Shaking it simulates wheel rotation and it sends a signal. Does you system also display tire temp too ?
It looks like the central system is different though.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom