Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Lowering the C-5

J

Jack Donnelly

I want to lower my 01. I've been told its easy, just buy the kit for the rear and the front can be lowered by the existing bolts. ( I have a Z-51 suspension) Recently I have seen "Bump & Steer "kits for lowered C-5's. What are these kits for ? Will lowering the car alter the suspension setup? (It feels great now) I only want to bring it down an inch or so for looks. :W:

There are mixed feelings about alignment after lowering, I did. It's cheap insurance...

You can lower your car without a kit, using all exisitng bolts, that what I did for mine. However, if you want the longer bolts for the back, buy them at your local hardware store.

Mark

Thanks for the reply on the lowering question. Did you notice the ride or handling altered. Did you do the lowering yourself? Thanks for the help.:)
Jack

I did lower it myself Jack...very easy to do...and I've never worked on cars before buying my C5...a set of Rhino ramps, a jack and some jack stands and you're in business!

As for the ride...with stock bolts and no cutting, I did not notice much change in the ride. I have the base suspension and "maybe" felt the road a little more....

Mark

Mark:
Thanks for the insight. I have the Rhino ramps so now it's just a matter of time.
Jack

You guys are lucky:) The C-4's are a pain in the a** to lower. The back is no problem...........the front takes quite some time.

Good luck Jack & post some pics after you do it!

Jay

C4 Lowering

Jay:

I know that you just finished lowering your C4. I took a quick look at mine and it looks like lowering the rear is just a matter of installing longer bolts. Is that all that's neccessary? Did you get a four point alignment? If so, where?

Thanks

Re: C4 Lowering

GreyGhost said:
Jay:

I know that you just finished lowering your C4. I took a quick look at mine and it looks like lowering the rear is just a matter of installing longer bolts. Is that all that's neccessary? Did you get a four point alignment? If so, where?

Thanks

Yeah Al, the back just consists of the longer spring bolts. Very easy job. I haven't had it aligned yet because the back keeps shifting on me. Make sure your gas tank is full when adjusting the rear ride height. Make adjustments, drive it , measure it.............you'll repeat this process many times. That's what I'm still doing......

When I get it aligned, I'm going to Roger Whitley on Florida Ave. There's a guy there by the name of Greg that's expecting me any day now.............it'll only run about $75-80 for all 4 wheels.....

Jay

Lowering

I've had my 98 for about 2 months. When I bought it, it had been lowered, as much as possible in front, about 1 and a half inches and about the same in back by using longer bolts. I suffered. the ride was harsh and had a heck of a time getting in driveways. Even wound up bending the square tubing on the undercarriage.
I raised it back up to what I think is stock height. Adjusted the front bolts and bought new rear that were about an inch shorter. You can use 9/16 diameter grade 8 bolts available at a good hardware or bolt supplier. The stock bolts are 13 mm I think.
Had it realigned and looking at the report the most significant difference, before and after, is the front and rear toe-in. Camber was out a little but not a lot.
After driving for awhile the big noticeable difference is the ride. Immensely better!! And of course now I can get in and out of my driveway without banging the undercarriage. I'm curious too if you don't negate the variable shock capability by lowering excessively.
So give serious thought to what you gain by what you loose by lowering. Also to raise the car I machined plugs to fit the jack locations and modified two floor jacks to mate with the plugs. If you're careful you can use a small hyd jack to unload the spring, use a pad between the jack and spring.

Thanks fot the insight

Thanks for the real scoop on lowering. I have wanted to lower the car for looks only but had doubts on how the ride or handling woud be affected. After all you are compressing the springs & shocks. I have the Z51 suspension which gives a pleasantly firm ride and tracks the corners like a vette should. I have had several replies on how to do it but your reply on the real world results is what I had feared would happen. I have faith in the GM guys to figure out the best all purpose set up even if I think the car is sprung a little high, especially in the rear. Thanks fpr saving me a lot of time & trouble. :)
Jack

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom