Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ls egnines in sharks

try2pas

Corvette
1972- original; 1980 - restomod; 2016 - Z06
If you put a LS egnine in a shark like a LS1, 2, 3, 6 or 7 would any other LS engine then fit right in? Like if you put in a LS1 could you swap that out and put in the new 3 or even a 7 on the same adjusted motor mounts etc.? And do the new LS engines weigh less than an older 350 or 383?

try2pas

I am pretty certain that the LS engines are lighter than any of the older 350 based motors since the LS motors have numerous aluminum components (I think they have aluminum heads and maybe even blocks).

I would bet that you could easily exchange one LS based motor for another with the exception being the LS7 which is a dry sumped motor. In order to install this one you'd have to find a suitable location for the oil reservoir.

I'm thinking engine mount locations are slightly different on the LS blocks which negates a direct bolt in. Since folks have made this swap, I'm sure there are aftermarket mounts for this application.

You will need a place to mount the computer.

:)

Me Too

I have a 79 that I would like to put an LS 2 into. I have been told that the blocks are all pretty much the same so it shouldn't be a big deal (at least getting the motor in), but I am uncertain as to the hood clearance. Any experience by anyone?

To put an LS into a shark, you need to get new mounts, a different flywheel or flexplate, a stand- alone electric fuel pump (because they are fuel injection with no side mechanical pump), an ignition system( because an LS is computer controlled ignition) i think MSD makes a kit but im not sure) , I dont know if the aluminum oil pan will fit around the steering rack, You'll need a serpentine belt system, and other misc things. It can be done. Nothin revs up as fast as an LS motor.
zachh

i have no idea why you would want to go to the expense ....

pretty easy to put just about anything you want in a C3.... small block high reving or bigger block with bottom grunt....

without having to do nearly as much work....

otherwise go buy a z06 and enjoy....

but the beauty of cars is every one of us gets to do it his way LOL

but trust me plenty of engines "Rev" with and beyond the lS series...

:w

If you put a LS egnine in a shark like a LS1, 2, 3, 6 or 7 would any other LS engine then fit right in? Like if you put in a LS1 could you swap that out and put in the new 3 or even a 7 on the same adjusted motor mounts etc.? And do the new LS engines weigh less than an older 350 or 383?

try2pas

Do a member search for patsnitrovette. He's done the swap and would be a great resource to some pointers on what the pit falls are.

http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/patsvette/index.html

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2650615700052841409SiwCXn

2650615700052841409SiwCXn_th.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom