Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LS7 Failure

scott borelly

Corvette
2009 Z06
So back at the end of September the motor in my 2009 Z06 blew with barely 20,000 miles. Unfortunately for me it was 3 months out of warranty.

Took it to the dealer for repair last week, I waited to bring it in because inquiries with my GMPP plus warranty led me to believe it would not be covered.Turns out the engine is missing the #2 piston and has a bent valve. The dealer turned it in to GM to see if they would lend any assistance because of the low mileage. I got the official word back that they would not lend any. Bit of a bummer, I guess now I can only hope the class action suit goes thru. Add my car to the list.

Scott

P.S. I posted this to another form as well for information.

Very sorry to hear about this. My sincerest condolences. I have a 2013 and I'm still worried about it. Thankfully, I'm still under warranty. And I'm not letting it sit around (except for now as it's winter where I am) and putting as much mileage as possible on it. I have almost 38K so far. I want to make certain if a problem does happen, it happens under the PT warranty. I plan on doing a lot of road trips this year. So far, my valve train is quiet and I'm using no oil. I just did a oil analysis and so far, all wearable metals are >1ppm after 8200 miles on the change. Of course, I've been told none of this may mean anything. And a valve head can still drop without warning.

What i'm really hoping is if the court finds GM responsible as these cars were still built under the newly reorganized corporation, that they'd still be responsible. If, however, the court doesn't find this and because the cars were originally built under the 'bad old' GM, then there's probably no recourse. Even though GM is being held responsible for cars like the Cobalt for their ignition switches, and they were designed and built before the bankruptcy. Hopefully, GM will find it in itself that if the owner can prove the engine is/was OE stock and no aftermarket tuning, that they'd extend the PT warranty like they did with the clutch system.

As it is, I understand GM has built 35,000 of these engines. And I don't think the heads are even being made for them anymore.

Well that sucks.

I hope that by the time the 2013's were built, GM got it figured out. I've got 32K+ miles on my LS7 since June of '12. So far, so good.

What reason did GM give for not covering the failure under your GM "extended warranty"?

It was denied because I was out of warranty on time, not mileage. I was hoping that with the known issues, and my car being manufactured during the time frame that they would have done the right thing. I informed my dealer of previous issues that could have been factors but it was still denied. When the car had 4k on it something happened and every thing from the mass airflow sensor forward basically exploded. Chunks of hard plastic were caught in the mass airflow sensor. Car was in the shop a couple weeks, GM never determined a cause for the apparent backfire thru the intake.

Loyalty doesn't Matter it Seems

S
So back at the end of September the motor in my 2009 Z06 blew with barely 20,000 miles. Unfortunately for me it was 3 months out of warranty.

Took it to the dealer for repair last week, I waited to bring it in because inquiries with my GMPP plus warranty led me to believe it would not be covered.Turns out the engine is missing the #2 piston and has a bent valve. The dealer turned it in to GM to see if they would lend any assistance because of the low mileage. I got the official word back that they would not lend any. Bit of a bummer, I guess now I can only hope the class action suit goes thru. Add my car to the list.

Scott

P.S. I posted this to another form as well for information.

They should replace this motor exceptions are made and the dealer can get a lot of stuff done if he wants to. Especially if he wants to sell another one to you.
corvette addict

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom