Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT-1 Conversion

my 2 cents worth

As a 78 vette owner and a 94 z28, I would not consider a lt 1 motor as a conversion candidate. The notorious optispark distributor has given a countless number of headaches and large repair bills to many lt1 owners. In my z 28 the spark plugs must be changed from the bottom of the car. I would go with a crate motor for ease of installing and the availability of after market parts. Not a single aftermarket performance distributor is available for the lt1. Dynatech engineering is the only company currently working on one with a cost of 525 dollars at present.

I plan on a wild motor for my vette later, but it will never be a lt1.

A crate motor or an ls1 is the only way to go, in my opinion.

As a owner of an lt1 car, I would not even consider an lt1 engine with all the other options.

my problem iwth the lt1

My problem with the lt1 is the water pump is over and above the distributor, when the water pump gives out it will take out the distributor along with it. Driving these cars in the rain can cause, the distributor to drown out and you will be stranded.
This has not happened to me, but check out the z28 forum on z28.com. To hear all the stories about the optispark.

The engine is very strong and runs very well. Many have reported a low rpm stumble or cutting out, which my car does ocassionally. below 1500 rpm and in 6th gear which equals out to cruising at 63 mph with a 3.42 rear end. i have replace the coil, spark and coil wires and plugs, but still have this occasional low rpm stumble. Many lt1 owners have this same problem.

69MyWay said:
CW#
Here is the downside. The computer will be tricked into thinking it is still in the donor car. It will not be getting inputs from wheel sensors, antilock brakes, quad 02 sensors etc. You will be running at the most basic level of ability. Most systems also require running as a speed density (no mass air flow sensor). The lack of the mass air flow sensor and running as speed density causes you to loose some hsp and create a few driveability issues. You won't get the factory adverstised fuel economy as a C4 with the same engine as the computer will be running it on the rich side most of the time.

Is there no way to work around these issues? Basically it's cheaper to get a crate engine (ZZ4 perhaps) and install an Edelbrock Pro-Flo EFI System ?

69MyWay said:
I ran the pro-flo on my 69 454, and I love it. Very simple, very easy to tune, and it looks cool. [/B]

Thanks for you reply. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind:

1) How does an aftermarket EFI system like the Pro-Flo compare to an OEM system?

2) About that 454; was it previously equiped with a carb and if so how does the injected version compare with the carbed one?

Please go in detail.

yatsen said:
Thanks for you reply. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind:

1) How does an aftermarket EFI system like the Pro-Flo compare to an OEM system?

2) About that 454; was it previously equiped with a carb and if so how does the injected version compare with the carbed one?

Please go in detail.

1. It uses the same basic sensors as a OEM system, but the harness is simple, and the computer is programable. I can make instant real time adjustments to idle, spark, fuel, etc without ever opening the hood, or turning the engine off.

2. Nope, it was an old passenger car 454 with a carb. I put the Edelbrock 539 hp RPM package together and slapped the EFI on top.

Details???? Well, I just can't say enough good about it. I do tend to play with it a bit, but won't get the full potential out until I can get it on a dyno and play with it all day. However, I have it tweaked right now for pure driveability. I can max out my mpg, raw acceleration, etc....and lean out my idle to cut down on the fuems that come from having the raw exhaust dumping out the side pipes by the doors.

It is everything they say it is at Edelbrock. The best part is that it does not require a lap top computer...as it comes with its own program module. That cuts down on expense and risk of theft when you are out and about with the car.

Very interesting thread. As someone who has done this, I can offer this little bit of advice: BUY A PAINLESS HARNESS!!!! Originally, the guy that did my install tried hacking an original harness together with some custom pieces. Needless to say, it didn't work well at all. I yanked it and replaced it with a Painless harness. Now it runs like a champ! As for fitment issues, I can tell you the Corvette LT1 (at least the 1995 model) will fit with all brackets and accessories no problem. Recently, I have been thinking about selling my LT1 (harness, computer and all) and trying something different (aluminum big block, maybe ;-) I am not sure when this would all come about as I would need to find someone to buy the motor and harness and stuff to help finance the rest. So, if you are looking for a "bolt up" LT1, I might be able to make you a deal sometime in the future. Just thought I would throw that out there. Either way, good luck in whatever you decided. The LT1 is a fun motor, much better than the L48, lol.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom