Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT-1 Owners in forum

7

72LT1Steve

Guest
Just a check to get a head count on LT-1 owners/enthusiasts here in the 'ol Corvette Action Forum. What ya got????

Steve
 

xxaussiexx

Member
Joined
May 4, 2002
Messages
10
Location
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Corvette
1971 LT-1 Mulsanne Blue R'ster
1971 LT1

1971 LT1
- Mulsanne Blue
- Convertible
- Original 53,000 miles
- Living happily in the land DOWN UNDER (and you know it's what's down under that counts!!)


- Alan
 
G

gdh

Guest
Hello all just found this forum. Nice to meet other LT-1 owners. I just recently found out that I also have a ZR-1 (CKZ suffix).
 
7

72LT1Steve

Guest
Alan & qdh: Hey thanks for the replies! Alan; is your car still left hand drive? Saw an article regarding Vette's down under where steering conversions were being done. Wasn't sure if was required though. Can I also assume your the only LT-1 owner in your part of the country?

qdh: All I can say about your car: I'm Jealous :)


God Bless

Steve
 
G

gdh

Guest
Hi Steve, I used to live in Vancouver, BC. Driving through the mountains in your car must be a great experience.
 

xxaussiexx

Member
Joined
May 4, 2002
Messages
10
Location
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Corvette
1971 LT-1 Mulsanne Blue R'ster
Steve & gdh,
Hey great to talk to you guys.
I'm also jealous of that CKZ option. That would just be the icing on my cake if I found I also had that option. Unfortunately...not so lucky, but who's complaining. I have a great LT1 and I'm real happy.
In answer to your question, she is still a LHD and road registered. Anything over 30 years of age can remain as LHD and has no restrictions on its use. Vehicles under 30 years old must be converted or cannot be used on any public roads.
Regarding other LT-1's, I only know of 1 other here in Victoria but there may be others here or elsewhere in Australia. The other 1 here is a 1972 year model coupe and I know the owner. In actual fact, he was the previous owner of mine. He imported it as the 3rd owner from New Zealand and was then offered the coupe. How is that ? Owning 2 LT-1's at the one time! Lucky fella!! Unfortunately for him, and lucky for me, he could only afford to own one of them and the Roadster was chosen to be sold. Enter me and now I am the very proud owner of a fully documented original (except paint), 53,000 mile car.
Lucky... yes, BUT not as lucky as gdh with his ZR-1.
Regards, Alan.
 
G

GaryS

Guest
1972 LT1

1972 LT1 Coupe, Bryar Blue
33000 miles, PS, PB
All original and a kick to drive

Gary
 
J

jmp

Guest
1972 LT-1 Coupe
Warbonnet Yellow
3.70 positraction
M21

Just got it Saturday, so haven't made it up to the mountains yet!
 
7

72LT1Steve

Guest
gdh said:
Hi Steve, I used to live in Vancouver, BC. Driving through the mountains in your car must be a great experience.


I sure is beautiful; especially in August around here. There are several passes to go over the mountains to Eastern Washington. My vote for the nicest is the North Cascades Hwy. Takes you into the City of Winthrop [small town] on the eastside. Corvette clubs here make weekend trips around the "Cascade Loop" which takes you over the North Cascade Hwy and either Stevens Pass or Snoqualmie Pass back to Seattle.

Most likely will take a trip over later this year. Steve
 
7

72LT1Steve

Guest
Hey...Thanks all for the replys. It dawned on me that I didn't put in my LT's info, so here it is:

Original motor - rebuilt
M-21
3.70 rear
Mille Miglia Red
Dlx Black Interior
79,000 miles [want to keep them low, BUT I JUST WANT TO DRIVE THE DARNED THING ALL THE TIME]

jmp: Congrats on the car purchase!

Alan: Nice to know you still have the car with it's original configuration, and that your a very unique vehicle operator down under :)

Steve
 
G

gdh

Guest
The weather has finally turned warm and sunny again. Went for a 2.5 hour cruise tonight through the hills and valleys. It felt great, in 3 weeks I should be able to drop the newly rebuilt engine in which will add some serious hp. Thank-you "C"
 

xxaussiexx

Member
Joined
May 4, 2002
Messages
10
Location
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Corvette
1971 LT-1 Mulsanne Blue R'ster
Glad to hear that you are getting into the good cruising weather.

For us on the other side of the world, the first show of winter has hit this week and unfortunately we have a full day run planned this Sunday with our local Corvette Club.
Luckily we do not get snow here in Melbourne, but the temperature certainly gets chilly,(by our standards) and the rain storms are real unwelcome on the runs.
I guess I'll get to test the seals on the top for the first time. One positive is that at least I won't have to spend half of Saturday applying polish before I take her out!!!!!!!!!!!:upthumbs

Steve, the car sounds great. I know what you mean about trying to keep the mileage down, but the desire to drive them is just too great. Enjoy the pleasure, thats what they were built for!!!

gdh, good luck with the new motor installation, and
joseph, congratulations on the new car. I'm sure you'll enjoy the attention of the locals AND the drives around Vancouver and the mountains.

To all, enjoy the weekend and safe cruising!
Alan:w
 
7

72LT1Steve

Guest
Well everyone. I attended my first Corvette only car show of the season yesterday. Had a great time! I was very pleased to view (and have park next to me) a fully restored, 99.9 point Corvette Restorers Society documented '72 ZR-1 Targa Blue coupe! I met the owner, Joel (who eventually won 1st place for the class....no surprise) and spoke to him about the car. He told me that 13 of the 14 coupes have been accounted for.
I mentioned to him "qdh's" discovery of his CKZ engine suffix on his recently purchased '72 LT-1 Convert. Joel was excited and told me (qdh are you reading??) that "no '72 ZR-1 convertibles have been found/accounted for/documented". He guessed that a fully restored ZR-1 Convert would sell well into the 6 figures.

What do you all think? Is Joel correct in his guess? I thought so.

Steve
 
G

gdh

Guest
Maybe this explains why I got a letter back from GM asking me if I would like to bring it to Bowling Green. I told them that I will make the drive but not this year, thought that it was just a courtisy reply to my fax and pic that I forwarded with the engine code showing. I sent the block to the machine shop to be magnafluxed last week so I could clean it up then I was planning on putting another engine in it and crate the original, keep it so that if I sell it down the road will have the original engine with it.
 
0

0018

Guest
72LT1Steve said:
Well everyone. I attended my first Corvette only car show of the season yesterday. Had a great time! I was very pleased to view (and have park next to me) a fully restored, 99.9 point Corvette Restorers Society documented '72 ZR-1 Targa Blue coupe! I met the owner, Joel (who eventually won 1st place for the class....no surprise) and spoke to him about the car. He told me that 13 of the 14 coupes have been accounted for.
I mentioned to him "qdh's" discovery of his CKZ engine suffix on his recently purchased '72 LT-1 Convert. Joel was excited and told me (qdh are you reading??) that "no '72 ZR-1 convertibles have been found/accounted for/documented". He guessed that a fully restored ZR-1 Convert would sell well into the 6 figures.

What do you all think? Is Joel correct in his guess? I thought so.

Steve

Steve,
Maybe you, or anybody for that matter, may have some insight on a question I have had for awhile. Corvettes, being the special car they are.... collected, raced, enjoyed and coveted....why didnt Chevrolet document the production runs to individual cars. I had a '58 Eldo Conv and received a printout listing options, date of production, delivery details, ect. on my specific Biarritz from Cadillac. Can anyone shed some light on why the Corvette wasnt handled in this manner? Is it just the Corvette, or are all Chevys lacking verification by the VIN#. QDH's ZR-1 convert brought this question up again, and I was hoping someone might have a reason or information as to why no Corvette VIN# verification. Thanks, Stu
 
R

RalleyRed

Guest
I've always loved the LT-1's, there is nothing like the sound of those solid lifters singing to you.
Having a DZ302 I've heard that song many times.

I envy all of you that own and drive your LT-1's


gdh,

Make sure your machine shop doesn't do anything to your block to mess up those numbers.
I've heard horror stories about rare(read big money) motors dissappearing from machine shops.


Rick
 
0

0018

Guest
RalleyRed said:
I've always loved the LT-1's, there is nothing like the sound of those solid lifters singing to you.
Having a DZ302 I've heard that song many times.

I envy all of you that own and drive your LT-1's


gdh,

Make sure your machine shop doesn't do anything to your block to mess up those numbers.
I've heard horror stories about rare(read big money) motors dissappearing from machine shops.


Rick

Rick,
Youre absolutely right, there is nothing like the sound of dialed in LT-1. Listening is music to the ears, but the driving is what its all about. Ive owned lots of Vettes but the LT-1 has that certain something. Other Vettes just dont measure up. Im sure Big Block fans will disagree, but thats what its all about. We agree to disagree. The LT-1 is truly something special! Ask the man (or woman) that owns one. Youre right, its all about "those number." Thanks for the input.
 
7

70 LT-1 convert

Guest
Hello,
I'll log in my 2 cents as well. I love the car.
I truly enjoy the attention I get at cruises and shows, they get a treat seeing a pretty rare vette and I enjoy talking and learning more about my car. I plan on taking it to Carlise PA this year. I was picked to represent the 1970 convt in this years evolution display. They expect over 100 vettes in this display celebrating the 50th birthday of the American icon. If anyone is interested, there are a few spots ( 9 ) left to fill, you can e-mail Joe Clemente at MR35TH@aol.com
Dean
 
0

0018

Guest
70 LT-1 convert said:
Hello,
I'll log in my 2 cents as well. I love the car.
I truly enjoy the attention I get at cruises and shows, they get a treat seeing a pretty rare vette and I enjoy talking and learning more about my car. I plan on taking it to Carlise PA this year. I was picked to represent the 1970 convt in this years evolution display. They expect over 100 vettes in this display celebrating the 50th birthday of the American icon. If anyone is interested, there are a few spots ( 9 ) left to fill, you can e-mail Joe Clemente at MR35TH@aol.com
Dean

Dean, Thanks for the info about the Carlise show. And congrats on your '70 LT-1 Roadster. Its a rare one and my personal favorite. I was curious what color combination it is? Have a great day.
 
G

gdh

Guest
got the block back earlier in the week, #'s still there, plus a mark that I made in an area to id. it for me. Yesterday did the bottom end, and Monday will assemble the heads and get it ready to drop it in.
Tuesday will remove the old engine, and clean up and repaint the engine bay.
Wednesday will be able to drop the new engine in, test drive and Thursday finishing touches. then home.
 

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom