Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT-1 Owners in forum

0018 said:

Steve,
Maybe you, or anybody for that matter, may have some insight on a question. Why didnt Chevrolet document the production runs to individual cars. I had a '58 Eldo Conv and received a printout listing options, date of production, delivery details, ect. on my specific Biarritz from Cadillac. Can anyone shed some light on why the Corvette wasnt handled in this manner? Is it just the Corvette, or are all Chevys lacking verification by the VIN#. QDH's ZR-1 convert brought this question up again, and I was hoping someone might have a reason or information as to why no Corvette VIN# verification. Thanks, Stu

Stu;

I really don't have an answer for ya on this. Chevy did provide the Protect-o-plate, build sheet, & the tank sticker to show the cars information at production (it seems most are lost/misplaced). I'll surmise they felt that was enough by and large. But I'm not sure when, or if they always did provide a build sheet for each specific car. Or when the protect-o-plate program came into being. Chevy did start the VIN number I.D. in 1972 in the 5th digit for the engine option, but like you point out does specifically I.D. a ZR-1 car as an example, only that it does or does not have an LT-1 motor. And now some 40-50 years later I'm sure many Vette owners would like to have a VIN designation engine I.D. code as well.

I should also note that I did recover my tank sticker. I was able to determine/verify all my cars options, paint and interior codes, as well as a delivery zone number and factory build number (355) which matched a hand written number on the document & on the cars engine bay firewall.

Steve

72LT1Steve said:

Stu;

I really don't have an answer for ya on this. Chevy did provide the Protect-o-plate, build sheet, & the tank sticker to show the cars information at production (it seems most are lost/misplaced). I'll surmise they felt that was enough by and large. But I'm not sure when, or if they always did provide a build sheet for each specific car. Or when the protect-o-plate program came into being. Chevy did start the VIN number I.D. in 1972 in the 5th digit for the engine option, but like you point out does specifically I.D. a ZR-1 car as an example, only that it does or does not have an LT-1 motor. And now some 40-50 years later I'm sure many Vette owners would like to have a VIN designation engine I.D. code as well.

I should also note that I did recover my tank sticker. I was able to determine/verify all my cars options, paint and interior codes, as well as a delivery zone number and factory build number (355) which matched a hand written number on the document & on the cars engine bay firewall.

Steve
Thanks Steve,
I appreciate the info. Obviously Chevy is doing more documentation of each car with the power of today's computer. Congrats on finding the build sheet still intact. Its the little things like the matching "355" on the firewall that make a car special. Thanks for sharing. Stu

If I can afford a C5 vert. in the next few years I will make sure that it is a #'s matching car already so no more of the desperate searching down the road that goes on now with the C1.2.3's.

Hello 0018,
The color combo for my LT-1 is Laguna Gray ext. and light saddle interior. At this point I have only seen 3 other Laguna Gray vettes and all had black interiors. Its a shame Chev did'nt keep better records of the number of cars painted each color. I guess the strike made this a bit harder to track.
Dean

70 LT-1 convert said:
Hello 0018,
The color combo for my LT-1 is Laguna Gray ext. and light saddle interior. At this point I have only seen 3 other Laguna Gray vettes and all had black interiors. Its a shame Chev did'nt keep better records of the number of cars painted each color. I guess the strike made this a bit harder to track.
Dean
[/QUOTE

Hi Dean,
Steve and I were dicussing the lack of Corvette VIN doucumentation. It would sure clear up a lot of questions if Chevy would have documented Corvette VIN#. I own a '72 LT- 1 Ontario Orange Coupe with 49k miles, that belonged to Heisman Trophy Winner John Cappelletti. Its a clean, original California car, but I long for a '70 Convertible. Im sure many Vette Lovers are envious of your car. Thanks for telling me about your LT-1. It no doubt is a rare and special Corvette. Have a great day! Stu

Hello Stu,
Sounds like yours has an unusual history. How did you find it? I enjoy hearing the purchasing stories. People find these cars in strange places and strange ways. Mine was on the internet and located in FL.
Dean

Dean,
My brother, who was working for General Tire at the time, saw it parked at one of his tire dealers in Orange County. I visited the owner every year for over 3 years before he decided to sell it to me. He bought the car from John Cappelletti and had it about 13 years, so it was hard for him to part with it. He told me when I was purchasing it, that John C. is a Corvette "nut" and recently bought a new C-5 conv. He intended the C-5 to be a weekend car, but enjoyed driving it so much, it became his everyday driver. What makes my '72 special is I have lots of documentation with it. Including John's personalized Califorinia plates and lots of paperwork, documenting mileage, owners, show judging, ect. I wish it were a '70 ragtop, but I truly love the car. Being an avid College Football fan, and an admirer of John, I cant see myself parting with it.

I remember watching John C. play for Penn St. Amazing college player, great story and thanks for sharing it.

That is a great story!!! Go Penn State, my daughter is thinking about attending there. When you say Orange County are you talking about FL or CA? A friend of mine went to Utah for a 69 tri-power 400 HP. Its also a rare find to have so much documentation with the car. I was happy to get the protecto plate. Good find

Here's mine

Better late than never...

'72 LT-1 Convertible
Originally White, now Brands Hatch Green
Deluxe Dark Saddle interior
Tan Top (I know, should be white)
and ... Ta Dah... Factory Air.

I won second place in the members concours at the Lone Star
Classic in my class.

Later, Gary.

Hello fellow LT-1 owners . My current one is a '72 cp. , yellow/saddle , p/s , p/b , p/w , t/t , no air . Original down to the carb. and starter , 62K miles ( not documented , but looks about about right when evaluating seats , carpet , bushing wear , etc. . I had a '71 back in '86-'89 but sold when I was moving back to Tx. (wish I had kept it !) I bought that one for $3,000.00 from a "surfer" in S.F. , it needed body work and a little T.L.C. , but looked great when I finished it . I was putting it on the moving truck when this guy came by and asked , " Is that a real LT-1 ? Is it for sale ?" 40 minutes later he came back with an envelope full of $100 bills and that vette was gone . I still have the T.I. and smog set-up for that car , as they were the last things I had to re-install , and forgot to give them to the buyer as they were packed in the van and the deal happened so fast . Wish I still had that vette , not because of the $ value , but because I put so much effort into it and because it was so original (still had stencil markings) , and now I can afford to have "toys" . Cheers , Geo

Geo,
I know what youre talking about. I had a '58 Corvette about 30 years ago that I bonded with in much the same way. In fact I flunked out of my first year of College because I didnt have time for anything but my Vette. A Lawyer on a summer baseball team I was on talked me out of it for $1800...."If I dont get my wife a Corvette shes gonna divorce me." Anyway, I was stupid and he was smooth talkin Lawyer. My '58 showed up in the local paper 3 weeks later for $6000. Im still sick about it. I recently purchased a '70 LT-1 Roadster, with a souped up '73 engine. I purchased it with the intention of restoring it to the best of my ability. Thirty years ago I would have relished the opportunity, now I just dont have the energy. I guess what Im getting at is that you younger guys "go for it." Dont give some huckster $5000 to paint your Vette. Do it yourself "till it suits you." Ive seen some great restorations and paint jobs turned out in the owners garage. I agree with Geo, its not about money. The greatest joy is derived from doing it yourself and doing it right. Ill never forget that '58, everytime I see one I relive the all the times I skinned my knuckles and raced it from stoplight to Hamburger Stand. Unfortunately memories like that cannot be bought with money, only sweat, blood and love.

Count Me In Too!

Aloha,..nice to be among such a select group of '70, '71 and '72 LT-1 owners,...just purchased mine about 4 months back here in the islands for less than $12K,.. a nice condition 95% Targa Blue/Blk Interior Coupe,..original California car with window/tank sticker and protecto plate along with $18K+ in maintenance/repair receipts. Also, I have a question for those far more expert in engine specs/internals etc. than I,..What are the mechanical and engine internals difference between a '70 LT-1 Gross 370 H.P. and the '71-'72 LT-1 SAE Gross H. P. to Net H.P. 330/255 engines,..the prior owner had the engine rebulit about 40K miles ago back in 1987 and said he thought that it was set back up to '70 specs, but the work orders don't exactly specify what that would have entailed. However, from what I can tell everything external looks exactly original,..i.e. the Holley Model 6239-1 carb, intake, heads, exhaust manifolds etc. I know the ignition timing is different but wasn't it also that the pistons were domed vs flat from '70-'71,'72 as the compression dropped from 11:1 to 9:1 and other changes required needed to run unleaded regular? Seems like the heads, intake and cam specs all seem the same across all 3 years from everything that I have seen, heard and read (which is not much). Thanks alot for the continung education of this new novice LT-1 owner/driver.,..Tom Save The Wave!!!

Re: Here's mine

F4Gary said:
Better late than never...

'72 LT-1 Convertible
Originally White, now Brands Hatch Green
Deluxe Dark Saddle interior
Tan Top (I know, should be white)
and ... Ta Dah... Factory Air.

I won second place in the members concours at the Lone Star
Classic in my class.

Later, Gary.

Gary;

Congrats on your 2nd place win & scoring the Air conditioning in your car. They don't come much rarer than that!

Steve

Re: Count Me In Too!

7T2 LT1 said:
Aloha,..nice to be among such a select group of '70, '71 and '72 LT-1 owners,...just purchased mine about 4 mons back here in the islands for less than $12K,.. a nice condition 95% Targa Blue/Blk Interior Coupe,..original California car with window/tank sticker and protecto plate along with $18K+ in maintenance/repair receipts.

What are the mechanical and engine internals difference between a '70 LT-1 Gross 370 H.P. and the '71-'72 LT-1 SAE Gross H. P. to Net H.P. 330/255 engines.

I know the ignition timing is different but wasn't it also that the pistons were domed vs flat from '70-'71,'72 as the compression dropped from 11:1 to 9:1 and other changes required needed to run unleaded regular? Seems like the heads, intake and cam specs all seem the same across all 3 years from everything that I have seen, heard and read (which is not much). Thanks alot for the continung education of this new novice LT-1 owner/driver.,..Tom Save The Wave!!!

Tom;

Your car sounds nice! I'm envious of the "less than 12K" purchase price!!

I think you've pretty much got it nailed down on the engine differences. '71 & '72 motors, were to my understanding the same engine. But due to insurance issues, the rating criteria changed so instead of the GROSS horsepower rating of 330, you see a NET rating of 255 in '72.

Now as far as the '70 motor goes, you've hit on the main change, being in the engines compression ratio being 11:1.

Steve

That's a Rare car Too!!

Thanks Steve and looks like u've got a real keeper there too with your AC equipped car...mine has only P/S, wish it had P/B and Tilt steering and A/C, but hey, u can't always have everything, but that's more than my 63 SWC has as it's just engine, tranny, rear end with an AM/FM radio...I think I may upgrade the '72's interior to a deluxe set up at some point as the door panels/seats/carpet r beginning to really show their age,...currently I'm looking for a set of nice PO 2 wheelcovers and maybe a Stainless Steel Luggage rack along with a passenger side mirror to give me the exterior look that I'd like to see on the car. Thanks for your input as to the differences in the '70 thru '72 engines. Tom Save the Wave!!!

Tom,
I hate to hear of LT-1s going so cheap, Im just glad it went to appreciative new owner. Seems Im always 10 minutes too late on deals like that. Regarding your question, as Steve mentioned the main difference is the lowering of the compression ratio from 11:1 to 9:1 in '71. The '70 had the domed pistons. The cam was also changed for '71. The '70 LT-1 cam had .3234 inch intake lobe lift, whereas the the '71 & '72 had .3057. Both had .3234 lift on the exhaust lobe. Valve and iginition timing was slightly retarded as well. This was all done to please Uncle Sam. It was during this time that emissions reductions to meet government regulations were the primary concern of automakers rather than performance. The main LT-1 goodies stayed the same: forged steel crank, "pink rods", 850 cfm Holley, highrise alum intake, and transistor ignition, which for some unknown reason did not show up on the '72s. The only reason I can think of is to cut costs. Another interesting offshoot is in '71 and '72, the LT-1 was the only optional small block. In '70 many buyers opted for the L-46 350/350 for only $158 rather than $447 for the LT-1, which they thought was only an additional 20 H.P. over the L-46. The 1970 LT-1s 370 H.P. rating was deliberately underated for insurance purposes. The actual gross horsepower was in excess of 430 H.P. for the 1970 LT-1. All three years are great cars, unfortunately tightening emission laws took a little bit of firepower out of each succeeding year to meet govt regulations in a decade that saw performance really take a beating.

Appreciate The Info

0018,..Thanks I do like this car and I like it better also because I got into it at what I believe is a very reasonable price. The market here is extremely different than that of the mainland,..limited supply,..limited demand. A couple of my friends also in Vette Clubs over on the East Coast tell me that LT-1's routinuely fetch high teens, low 20's and more now on the mainland. There is a pretty nice looking '72 LT-1, ZR-1 now being listed over on E-Bay from a fellow in Wahington State also a Targa Blue, Blk Int..supposedly only 10K orginal miles too,...however, the bidding starts at 55K. Your answers were just the info that I was looking for,..the previous owner had the engine totally rebuilt back in '87 and the job/work order doesn't reflect the cam specs but a new crane cam was installed along with new TRW pistons and the engine was bored .030. The previous owner indicated that everything internally was set back up to '70 specs but I don't see any confirmation or denial of that here in the maintenance/repair file of paperwork and other documentation but the car runs like a race horse with John Deere torque. I would love to drive a real '70 LT-1 and see how they compare. Tom Save the Wave!!!

0018 said:
Tom,
I hate to hear of LT-1s going so cheap, Im just glad it went to appreciative new owner. Seems Im always 10 minutes too late on deals like that. Regarding your question, as Steve mentioned the main difference is the lowering of the compression ratio from 11:1 to 9:1 in '71. The '70 had the domed pistons. The cam was also changed for '71. The '70 LT-1 cam had .3234 inch intake lobe lift, whereas the the '71 & '72 had .3057. Both had .3234 lift on the exhaust lobe. Valve and iginition timing was slightly retarded as well. This was all done to please Uncle Sam. It was during this time that emissions reductions to meet government regulations were the primary concern of automakers rather than performance. The main LT-1 goodies stayed the same: forged steel crank, "pink rods", 850 cfm Holley, highrise alum intake, and transistor ignition, which for some unknown reason did not show up on the '72s. The only reason I can think of is to cut costs. Another interesting offshoot is in '71 and '72, the LT-1 was the only optional small block. In '70 many buyers opted for the L-46 350/350 for only $158 rather than $447 for the LT-1, which they thought was only an additional 20 H.P. over the L-46. The 1970 LT-1s 370 H.P. rating was deliberately underated for insurance purposes. The actual gross horsepower was in excess of 430 H.P. for the 1970 LT-1. All three years are great cars, unfortunately tightening emission laws took a little bit of firepower out of each succeeding year to meet govt regulations in a decade that saw performance really take a beating.

We'll add another:

1970 LT-1 coupe resurrected after 24 years of sitting....

The actual gross horsepower was in excess of 430 H.P. for the 1970 LT-1 - YUP!! and you feel everyone of them as you race from gas station to gas station!!

Re: Appreciate The Info

7T2 LT1 said:
0018,.. There is a pretty nice looking '72 LT-1, ZR-1 now being listed over on E-Bay from a fellow in Wahington State also a Targa Blue, Blk Int..supposedly only 10K orginal miles too,...however, the bidding starts at 55K.
Tom Save the Wave!!!

I mentioned this earlier in this posting I believe. The LT-1/ZR-1 in the E-bay auction is the same one I mentioned parking next too at the Corvette show I attended. It is as nice as it is described in the auction!

Steve

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom