Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

lt-5 oil leak and mileage questions

• Thread starter Thread starter tlmarks
  • Start date Start date
T

tlmarks

I am looking at buying a 1991 zr-1 it has 102,000mi red w/ black int. The engine has a oil leak, you can't see it from the topside but the oil pan and the trans, are wet and you can smell it when it is warmed up and running. How bad could this be? I have done some reading about the reliability of these engines, with 102,000mi and no real history on the car is this a big risk? Thought I should ask the people that own lt-5's.This will also be my first corvette. I also posted in the technical discussion about the three cars that I am looking at.

I can't speak for this particular car, but LT5s in general are very reliable. The engine should be fine; the normal corvette "stuff" will still be GM. With that said, the LT5's oil pan will seep oil and the bolts will work their way loose with time. The oil you are smelling is probably from the crankcase ventilation system and more specifically under the plenum. All are easy to fix once you get over the intimidation of pulling the plenum. It is a fairly simple task if slightly mechanically inclined; and this site will help. There are several cars out there. Find the best one (condition, miles, records) within your budget. You'll be glad you did.
Ted

Leaks from the top are usually from the intake manifold. I would take a guess and say to look behind the engine where the distributor is located. Take a mirror and look at the head and intake manifold. I think you will find it wet there.

I looked at the 91 zr-1 again the leaks look like they are from the back of the block/right cyl head and the oil pan. the engine does not look to hard to fix leak wise but the more I look at the car it will take more time and money then I am willing to spend to make her right so I am getting a 1992 convertible that was one of my other choices. thank you for the help.

cntrhub said:
Leaks from the top are usually from the intake manifold. I would take a guess and say to look behind the engine where the distributor is located. Take a mirror and look at the head and intake manifold. I think you will find it wet there.

This is a ZR1 motor he is refering to it only has the bore spacing in comon with a regular 350
so no intake manifold or distributor but good advice just wrong engine :D

But Tmarks Its kinda of late but!

The oil pan bolts are known to losse over time so leaks from the pan are common they just need to be cleaned and tighten back to spec, The cylinder head leak Id have to see it and really see if it was the head, changing a cylinder gasket is pretty simple its the cam timing that is the only real hard part and its not even really hard.
If it was on the front passenger side of the motor It could have been the oil cooler lines that hook up to the oil filter housing
the original lines leak and it is another known problem simpy remove the old ones and install the updated version I replaced them on my 90 when I got it since it had the old lines not one problem since the breather on the top of the motor under the plenum is know to have the bolts loose and you will get leaks up there as well, and one other thing the injector housings have oil going through them and they will leak on the top of the cylinder heads right under neathe the IH so you may see oil there.

But anyway Where is this ZR1 Located and how much did the guy want for it?

also what color was it? ext and interior
how bad did it look other than the leaks?
can you point me in the direction of the owner?
thanks
johnny

the car is in bothell washington, at a used car lot ph#425-488-8015. It is red with black int. 102,000mi. the car is not in bad shape, it needs tires,brakes,carpet,and the oil leaks fixed. I drove the car twice for about 10-12mi each time and it seems to drive well, but I never got a chance to put it up on a hoist and realy look under it. the worst thing is it leaks water at the top and door seals and the place that has it has no place to park it out of the rain its going to get bad inside soon. I think it was a canada export car, the gauges to the right are in metric. They were going to sell it to me for $16,500. I would liked to have had it but with the stuff it needs and the miles it was more the I wanted to take on.

Check the rubber seal where the oil dipstick tube enters the block. On my 93 there was two rubber seals bunched up and it leaked. I have checked my 90 and the same rubber seal is crooked on the tube and it leaked slightly. If this is seems to be where the leak is comming from it is an easy fix, just replace with a new seal from GM. I have done this with both cars and they no longer leak.:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom