Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 LT4 Badge Question

1996 LT4 Topic
I'm looking at a 96' LT4 that is for sale. The pictures I've seen do not have any LT4 badges on the rear or quarter panels. Am I mistaken, I thought they had an LT4 Badge.

Will I need to get the VIN to verify its a REAL LT4?

Thanks,

Yes, we have no badges,...we have no badges today.

LT4's all come incognito from the factory (except the skunk cars).

Gus,

There are several LT4/Grand Sport Motored Vette Owners that have badged their Vette's. I'm 1 of em . . .

I put Grand Sport Badges on the sides and an LT4 Badge on the back in the same location where the ZR-1's have em.

U can buy them from several places, I bought mine from Ecklers.

Later,
6 Shooter

MY LT4 has a LT4 on the back - same location as zr1, as I think all of them did when the factory built them.

Pop the hood and if the motor has Grand Sport on the throttle body, then it's an LT4 (does not mean its a "Grand Sport" Vette).

All 1996 Grand Sport's had LT4 PLUS several other options PLUS they were ALL Blue w/ white stripe & black 5 spoke wheels etc.

Also on the vin after 1g1yy22 the next position if a "p" indicates lt1 engine if a "5" indicates lt4.

I went thru all this b4 I got my lt4. Hope you get one, it's a trip!

If you get a true LT4 and maybe it's been painted & they didn't put the badge on then by all means correct that but please don't stick on "Grand Sport" badges if it's not one.

froggy47 said:
MY LT4 has a LT4 on the back - same location as zr1, as I think all of them did when the factory built them.

Pop the hood and if the motor has Grand Sport on the throttle body, then it's an LT4 (does not mean its a "Grand Sport" Vette).

Also on the vin after 1g1yy22 the next position if a "p" indicates lt1 engine if a "5" indicates lt4.

I went thru all this b4 I got my lt4. Hope you get one, it's a trip!

I'm 100% positive there were no LT4 Badges on the back of 96/LT4 equipped Vette's from the factory . . .

I can't profess to be an expert on the LT4. I can tell you that my car doesn't have any badges on the exterior. When I bought my car, I found a stick on badge that was suppose to go next to the gear shift in the center console. I never put it on.

6 Shooter said:
I'm pretty sure there were no LT4 Badges on the back of 96/LT4 equipped Vette's from the factory . . .

you are correct there were NO Lt4's that came from the factory with badges that said LT4 on the back . All the ones you see are aftermarket

If it's a 96 with a 6 speed and a 8 grand tach then it's and LT4
:upthumbs

Unless the hood is up, that's the only way to tell. How do you tell a '96 from an older C4? Check the front bumper - the painted area between the side markers and the turn signals is 'body color' on 96's - all other years this area is black. Works for all but black cars. :eyerole

Oh, if it ain't a ZR1 and it's got an 8grand tach - LT4.

Thanks for all the info on the LT4 badges. I knew I had seen LT4 badges befor, but this car did not have any. (guess I'll order some if I indeed buy it) I knew about the vin numbers and 8k tach, (found that info here) but the guy is 16 hours away. I asked him to e-mail me the vin number.

"How do you tell a '96 from an older C4? Check the front bumper - the painted area between the side markers and the turn signals is 'body color' on 96's - all other years this area is black. Works for all but black cars.
"
Of course this is a black LT4. Nice to know info though!

I would definately run a Carfax on it to get the details before going all that way to check it out. Lke supernatural said.....the 6speed and 8K tach are the easy ways to tell by looking at the interior. Good Luck!........

Also, Gus.....That is an awesome sig pic of your SS but can you do me a favor and just shrink it down a bit. It'll help out our members using dial-up that much more. Thanks Gus!

Jay

froggy47 said:

I can tell you positively that NOT ONE exterior badge identifying the LT4 is on the exterior ........or interior from the plant.......

Well I said "I think" they came that way from the factory, and maybe I was wrong.

There seems, however, to be some fudging going on about what constitutes a Grand Sport (at least on this forum). Is anybody/everybody saying EVERY LT4 engined 1996 IS a Grand Sport?

I have the MSX International "restoration package" on my desk right now for 1996 Corvette Specifications.

It says the Vette coupe had an LT4 "option".

It lists the Vert - no LT4 option

It lists z15 - Collector Edition - coupe or vert - LT4 option

It lists z16 - Grand Sport - coupe or vert- see following

ALL Grand Sports required LT4 engine, coupe or vert, Admiral Blue w/ center white stripe & red hash marks, chromed Grand Sport emblem on front fenders, rear wheel flares (coupe), black brake calipers w/ raised corvette lettering, 5 spoke rims, perforated leather sport seats w/ grand sport embroidery, black or red/black interior.

To me putting Grand Sport emblems on a car that just has the LT4 engine is .................... well you decide what to call it, as for my car it's got an LT4 engine but I don't call it a Grand Sport.

If you think above description is wrong - cite your source.

PS: All this chat is extended in a friendly, information sharing sense. Isn't it fun going back & forth about the car we are all so passionate about?

:v

"Also on the vin after 1g1yy22 the next position if a "p" indicates lt1 engine if a "5" indicates lt4."

Just go by this info one of the guys replied with and you'll be fine more or less.

You can't tell whether the car is coming with an LT4 regardless of what kind of badging was added or if it has the Grand Sport plate on the throttle body. Even then, who's not to say the previous owner did not blow up the LT4 and replaced it with an LT1 short block at the least.
:crazy

In case you have not figured it out yet, there was not one LT4 equipped vette that came with an "LT4" badge.

The VIN should also tell you what year it is. I can't find my book to verify this.

Everyone who said no original equipment LT4 badge, I owe you a beer!

As to the year on the vin, it's the letter after the check digit .

1g1yy225(or p if an lt1)9(check digit)T(t should be 1996, I believe),5(Bowling Green plant)xxxxxx(your car plant sequential number)

froggy47 said:
I have the MSX International "restoration package" on my desk right now for 1996 Corvette Specifications.

It says the Vette coupe had an LT4 "option".

It lists the Vert - no LT4 option

If you think above description is wrong - cite your source.

LT4 came coupe or convertible

Source: General Motors... The basic facts are Any 1996 Corvette with a 6 speed also had the LT4, regardless of coupe, covertible, GS, CE, etc. Tranny is the easiest way to tell the engine in 1996.

the only thing that makes a "grand sport" is the RPO code associated with it ..period. All LT4's came with the GS plate on the throttle body, so please don't put GS badging on a non GS car, just because it says it on the motor. unless you have all the other options , such as paint scheme, brakes, fender flares you do not have a Grand Sport, but a 96 with and LT4 motor, :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom