Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 LT4 Badge Question

1996 LT4 Topic
froggy47 said:

I have the MSX International "restoration package" on my desk right now for 1996 Corvette Specifications.

It says the Vette coupe had an LT4 "option".

It lists the Vert - no LT4 option

:v

whatever source you have is incorrect, I had a 96 LT4 ragtop

.....and my LT-4 Emblem at Ecklers is on backorder....for 2 months now.....bummer!

supernatural400 said:
the only thing that makes a "grand sport" is the RPO code associated with it ..period. All LT4's came with the GS plate on the throttle body, so please don't put GS badging on a non GS car, just because it says it on the motor. unless you have all the other options , such as paint scheme, brakes, fender flares you do not have a Grand Sport, but a 96 with and LT4 motor, :)

Too each his own . . .

Since I've paid for my Vette with my own hard earned money, I'll put on it whatever trips my trigger! :upthumbs

6 Shooter

First off I could care less what you put on your car, but why would you put badging on a car when that's not what it is. Same thing a someone putting ZR-1 badges on a non ZR-1 car.

supernatural400 said:
First off I could care less what you put on your car, but why would you put badging on a car when that's not what it is. Same thing a someone putting ZR-1 badges on a non ZR-1 car.

Case in Point . . . ZR-1's have LT-5 Engines, Grand Sport's have LT4 Engines.

Since I've got the LT4 Engine, that Baby's a Grand Sport 2 me! :upthumbs

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

Hi Super,

I guess I'm wrong twice on this thread. Your vert is not a CE or GS but it has LT4. Clean engine too, I'm planning on detailing mine in the next couple of weeks.

My source was the GM "restoration package" - carbon copies of original GM literature regarding the 96 Vette. Maybe they printed the stuff up early in 1995 & some changes came down the pipe.

Who knows?

I'm with you, as I expect most forum members are, regarding misrepresenting what your Vette is.

I'm ok with the right rear LT4 badge (even though it's not technically original - let's call it a cosmetic mod). That's the engine she's got.

More than that well, there's a guy at my gym that stripped all the Toyota markings off his mid 90's coupe. He stuck a Porsche emblem on the back & the center caps of his wheels.

He thinks it's cool but the car guys all laugh behind his back.

It takes all kinds.

I had and aftermarket LT4 badge on my car as that's what motor it had and the only thing it had in common with a GS. We too get good laughs at shows from people who try to make their car out to more than what it is. :eyerole

Now don't hate me for what I am doing........I have an S10 Xtreme and I'm putting an LT-4 engine in it. The LT-4 engine came from a totaled 96 Corvette. ....and , yes, I'm gonna stick an LT 4 emblem on it to brag about what engine I have in it. At least part of that Corvette lives on.

supernatural400 said:
I had and aftermarket LT4 badge on my car as that's what motor it had and the only thing it had in common with a GS. We too get good laughs at shows from people who try to make their car out to more than what it is. :eyerole

a 'regular' lt4 corvette, and a grand sport, have much more in common than the engine.

Vettelt193 said:
a 'regular' lt4 corvette, and a grand sport, have much more in common than the engine.

Transmission , engine and tach ,that's it. unless you opted for the big brake option . that's the only thing they have that's the same. everything else was only and option if you ordered the RPO code for Grand Sport. Fact is if does not have the RPO code associated with it it's not a Grand Sport no matter how much you want it to be

Transmission , engine and tach ,that's it. unless you opted for the big brake option

Hope I'm not butting in here, but 'what big brake option' are you talking about? All 95/96 Vettes got the 'big' brakes from previous Z07/Z51 applications.

As far as I can tell, the only difference between a base Grand Sport Coupe and a regular coupe with the LT4 is the paint, interior, bigger tires and wheels and the fender flares. Oh and the separate serial number listing. Otherwise, the same. Order Z51 and you get Z51 - either car.

Every LT4 has the red intake and "Grand Sport" badging on the throttle body. The are many owners of '96 LT4 cars that refer to their cars as "Grand Sports" just because the motor says Grand Sport on it. They just don't know any better, and we can't educate the world either.

That's my 2 cents.

The GS came with not really big brakes but different calipers that were painted black with "corvette "lettering across the front. Not sure if they are any bigger than the stock calipers, have to wait for a GS owner to chime in about that. Not sure what's different about the interior, I thought they were all the same. Ok I see "grand sport" across the headrest and the black/red color combo. :)

supernatural400 said:
The GS came with not really big brakes but different calipers that were painted black with "corvette "lettering across the front. Not sure if they are any bigger than the stock calipers, have to wait for a GS owner to chime in about that. Not sure what's different about the interior, I thought they were all the same. Ok I see "grand sport" across the headrest and the black/red color combo. :)

Super, I pretty much agree with you. A Grand Sport is a Grand Sport period.
But just FYI, part of the Collector Edition package was the same rotors and black brake calipers as the GS. An LT4 CE is even closer yet to a GS in regards to the parts. Add the GS scheme, fender flares (Convertible GS did not come with fender flares or 315 rear tires), 315 tires and you have a GS. The only thing that makes a GS unique is the limited numbers. Some consider that a big thing, I don't.

People can put whatever they want on thier cars for fun.
But I do wish people would stop calling and telling the general public an LT4 equipt vette a GS though. That's just crazy.:crazy :L :duh

3TT3V said:
Now don't hate me for what I am doing........I have an S10 Xtreme and I'm putting an LT-4 engine in it. The LT-4 engine came from a totaled 96 Corvette. ....and , yes, I'm gonna stick an LT 4 emblem on it to brag about what engine I have in it. At least part of that Corvette lives on.

3TT3V,

Do whatever U want, don't worry about what other individuals think about what U do with Your Own Vehicle, it's Your's !!!

Enjoy what U have, after all U paid for it, not them . . .

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

CKA
The only thing that makes a GS unique is the limited numbers. Some consider that a big thing, I don't.
I think that about covers my point. Thanks.

People with 'regular' 2003 cars are already calling them "Anniversary Edition" cars cause they all have 50th logo on them and they are not 1SC cars. Big deal.

There's a '96 white/red vert with and LT4 in my local club that is for sale and the owner says it has the "Grand Sport" option. I'm not going to tell him any different.

For a while my ol 92 was badged with Grand Sport fender logos back when it was plain white with an admiral blue stripe. You wouldn't believe how many people - Vette people - thought that Chevy made a Grand Sport that way. I actually got tired of trying to explain the difference between a real GS and my "GS". Now it's white diamond with a 'radar blue' stripe and no GS logo and I don't care what people think it is. Just so long as it's mine.

Oh, before I forget, my ex 96 CE LT4 Z51 car had the 'big brakes' with the Corvette logo calipers. I should have put the fender flares on it and the ZR1 11" wheels and told everyone it was a silver GS. Just think how many people that would have confused!!!

Tuna said:
CKA

People with regular 2003 cars are already calling the "Anniversary Edition" cars cause they all have 50th logo on them and they are not 1SC cars. Big deal.

Actually they are right to a certain point, if GM follows past anniversary cars. All cars made in and anniversary year are considered "anniversary edition" cars, however only a few have the anniversary option. Just like my 93 has 40th written on the headrest it is considerd a anniversary car, but it does not have the 40th option. but I never tell anybody it's and anniversary car as most vette people know this about these cars

Good idea. Not everyone is as clear as you are.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom