Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 LT4 Collectibility

1996 LT4 Topic

intmdt8r

Corvette
1996 convertible/torch red/red int./LT4 6spd/F45
I think that in the next 10 years people will come to appreciate the LT4 equipped cars more and more. I mean these 1996 cars were only produced with this engine for 1 model year making them somewhat rare. It is a very stoutly built engine that i think someday in the not so distant future will be somewhat of a modern day 1970 LT1 in that it was and is somewhat of a sleeper overshadowed by some of the newer body styles. This can only enhance its collectibility down the road and personally, i like the styling of the 1996 over the c5 body style with its fatter rear end and center exhaust. It just seems to me that the c4 body style encompasses more of the older exaggerated high fender styling just smoothed out more for aerodynamics. It is a timeless style that more people will come to appreciate more as time goes on. the 96 is kind of like an older muscle car but with modern ammenities. That's just my take on a late saturday night. if you would like to comment on my ramblings please feel free i would look forward to it. Thanks

Rare - 1997 SLP Firehawk LT4: Just a handful of these beauties were built...

v6r96q.jpg

Starting in 1992, New Jersey tuner SLP would begin building hopped-up Firebirds that you could order through your local Pontiac dealer. Up through 1997, SLP had stuck to tweaking the stock LT1 V-8, and the following year it would begin working on the new LS1 V-8.

At the end of 1997 though, SLP was able to get its hands on the last few Corvette LT4 V-8 engines rolling off of GM's lines, and just 25 to 30 Firehawks slipped out the door with the quick-revving 330-hp V-8 under their hoods. Naturally, we had to test one.​

"The excellent acceleration test numbers just begin to communicate the LT4's gusto, because getting the 275/40ZR17 tires to hook up requires a delicate launch with just 1500 rpm on the tach," Jack Keebler noted.​

"But it does have a drawback: It's practically a traffic hazard. We had to factor in an extra half-hour on gas station trips for handling questions from the car-crazed.​

"If low-altitude scouting is the mission with an occasional hunk of Mustang flesh as an in-flight snack, this bird is the hot ticket."​

LT4 Encore: 1997 Camaro LT4 SS's are another rare collector...

Once Exclusive to 96 Corvettes, the LT4 Makes a Final Curtain Call in the 97 Camaro SS
(108 Camaro SS LT4's were produced: 100 US, 6 Canadian & 2 Prototypes)

A Hurst short-throw shifter is again optional on "regular" Camaro SS models, and it&8217s standard on the LT4 cars.

Since 1993, the Camaro has been the best bang-for-the-buck American-made performance car on the market. Even the base V-6 versions are decent performers in their own right. But the Z28 is the big favorite with most enthusiasts. Combined with the exceptional LT1 engine, it provides one of the best platforms going on which to build a killer modern-tech street machine.

As the fourth generation of the Camaro enters its fifth year, a strong historical perspective already exists that includes the 275hp LT1 getting a jump in its rating to 285 hp for 1996. Also new for 1996 was the SS package that included several tricks--most notable being a cold-air-induction system, 17-inch wheels and tires, a Hurst shifter, and an optional Torsen limited-slip differential.

While the 305hp Camaro SS built by Street Legal Performance (SLP) Engineering is likely the most potent Camaro ever built, there will now forever be a small asterisk to that statement in the form of the Camaro LT4.

After all the rumors and speculation about the LT4 finding its way into the Camaro, the fact is now a done deal, and the lucky souls who somehow got their mitts on one of these cars have themselves nothing less than the most awesome factory-built Camaro we've seen. The engineers at Chevrolet and SLP started with a 30th-anniversary Camaro Z28 SS, swapped out the LT1 for the 330hp LT4, and--presto!--the cat was out of the bag.

Although we extensively covered the LT4 engine in our Oct. '95 issue, a few basics on the engine easily explain its upgrades over the LT1. Much of the short-block remains similar to the LT1 except for the LT4 crank's undercut and rolled journal fillets. The crank is balanced for the LT4's slightly heavier pistons, which have reduced valve notches (3 cc's smaller) to bump the LT4's compression to 10.8:1 from the LT1's 10.5:1. The biggest changes were in the cylinder heads, where the LT4 has wider and shallower combustion chambers.

Lighter hollow-stemmed valves are bigger, too, with 2.00/1.55-inch sizes in the LT4 compared to the 1.94/1.50s in the LT1. Combine this with larger ports on the LT4 intake and a little bit more cam (LT4: 0.476/0.480-inch lift, 203/210-degree duration at 0.050-inch tappet lift, LT1: 0.447/0.449-inch lift), and the LT4's 330 hp comes up at 5,800 rpm--800 rpm higher than the LT1's 300 hp. Torque for both engines is 340 lb-ft, coming in at 4,500 rpm for the LT4 and 4,000 rpm for the LT1.

While the LT4 is a bit more high-strung, you can use every last bit of it, because the redline is now 6,300 rpm as compared to the LT1's 5,800 rpm. In fact, fuel cutoff doesn't occur until 6,400 rpm, which by then, you'd swear there was a DOHC LT5 underhood that was zinging to the moon. Combine all the attributes of the LT4 with the competent chassis of the current F-car body style, and the result is the best all-around performing factory supercar ever to come from the joint GM/SLP manufacturing program.

The car itself has all the standard updates of the SS package, and several options are standard with the LT4. These include a Torsen rearend, stainless exhaust manifolds, a Hurst shifter, and a Level II Bilstein suspension package that includes Bilstein shocks and progressive-rate springs. All LT4 SS cars have the 30th-anniversary package, which includes the orange stripes, white wheels, and 30th-anniversary interior appointments. The only SS LT4 options are a Level III Bilstein suspension package and BFG Comp T/A R1 tires, which are designed mainly for track use. Whether the standard Comp T/As or R1s are specified, they remain a P275/40ZR17 size all around.

Our time in the car was painfully brief as we wheeled around the area of SLP's Detroit offices. Putting the performance of the LT4 SS in terms we can all understand, SLP coins it "Viper territory for tens of thousands less." While track testing was definitely something we wanted to do, Detroit-area weather just wouldn't allow it. But the low-13-second numbers that SLP has generated are easily believable after having had a chance to feel the LT4's urgent power delivery on the street.

Unfortunately, there is a number that pertains to the LT4 SS that we are sad to report. It is, of course, 100--the scant number of cars that have been built and already sold. We have, however, settled on the fact that at least in today's times, we're all lucky enough to see this kind of outrageous factory performance being offered at all.

Article

There's a LT4 SS Camaro that lives a few blocks away from me. The dude also owns a GS and Trailblazer SS. Anyways, I always slobber all over myself when I see that Camaro. Very rare car....the Firehawks are even rarer. The LT4 engines they used are actually more powerful than the ones in the Vettes because SLP tore the engines down and blueprinted them before they put them in the cars.

I sold my 1996. LT4, 31000 miles.
had a hard time getting $13,000. took 6 months sell.
they don't hold value.

they don't hold value.

If you bought a new 1965 396 and kept it 13 years, in 1978 do you think it would have sold on the used car market for much. I have a good idea what they were going for, most were looked as just another old used Vette.

96 CE LT4 vs GS

I think that in the next 10 years people will come to appreciate the LT4 equipped cars more and more. I mean these 1996 cars were only produced with this engine for 1 model year making them somewhat rare. It is a very stoutly built engine that i think someday in the not so distant future will be somewhat of a modern day 1970 LT1 in that it was and is somewhat of a sleeper overshadowed by some of the newer body styles. This can only enhance its collectibility down the road and personally, i like the styling of the 1996 over the c5 body style with its fatter rear end and center exhaust. It just seems to me that the c4 body style encompasses more of the older exaggerated high fender styling just smoothed out more for aerodynamics. It is a timeless style that more people will come to appreciate more as time goes on. the 96 is kind of like an older muscle car but with modern ammenities. That's just my take on a late saturday night. if you would like to comment on my ramblings please feel free i would look forward to it. Thanks

The BEST deal out there is the 96 CE w/LT4. The Grand Sport unfairly overshadows and there is always going to be a limited appeal small group that will like the shades of shocking blue/red-orange and black wheels. Here are some facts to ponder on GS vs CE w/LT4:

- 1000 GS units
- 1300 CE/LT4 units

300 units, thats the only significant difference besides some larger wheels and the paint job (much better appeal in the CE IMO). Yet, the GS commands upwards of twice the price??

Please don't misunderstand, I am not putting down the GS at all, its a great collectible car. No question that both of these cars have great potential in the long haul, but if you had a choice between the two and all things equal (and even if you had questionable aesthetic taste :chuckle) you would be nutz not to choose the CE LT4.

As for the 70 LT1 - thats my dream some day. A good friend of my dad had two LT1s - 70/71 - which he kept garaged until he died 2 years ago.

Cheers

LT4 Value

they don't hold value.

You would be amazed at the lack of knowledge about these great engines, even among some Corvette "experts"? Its a matter of time, one year engines are always in demand - as a rarity and, even better with LT4, design excellence. Pack that in with Corvette (see 396 example) and you have a winner. It might not be this year, or even 2-5 yrs before they take off, but they will. ;)

You would be amazed at the lack of knowledge about these great engines, even among some Corvette "experts"? Its a matter of time, one year engines are always in demand - as a rarity and, even better with LT4, design excellence. Pack that in with Corvette (see 396 example) and you have a winner. It might not be this year, or even 2-5 yrs before they take off, but they will. ;)

:thumb

I chose the CE/LT4, vert over the GS. I just don't care for that blue color, and would have wanted a vert. Funny thing, the guy I bought the CE from was going to buy a GS coupe with my money, because he wanted to take along his dog, with the wife and the coupe would satisfy that. Personally I think GM came out with that combo to take attention away from the new GTS Viper.
I just had to have that LT4 red engine!

It is hard to tell these days what will hold value. The market isn't very strong for collector cars because of the down economy.

Whatever a car sells for these days is its value. Higher price cars will linger on the market longer. Low price cars will get scooped up pretty quick.

I'd refer to an industry trade reference for understanding pre-sale values. Anything else is really just speculative at best. Hope that helps.

GS vs CE LT4

I chose the CE/LT4, vert over the GS. I just don't care for that blue color, and would have wanted a vert. Funny thing, the guy I bought the CE from was going to buy a GS coupe with my money, because he wanted to take along his dog, with the wife and the coupe would satisfy that. Personally I think GM came out with that combo to take attention away from the new GTS Viper.
I just had to have that LT4 red engine!

Nothing wrong with the GS at all - but from an investment standpoint (not looking at aesthetics, which you either love or not, unlike CE) I see no advantage at all - either the GS is priced too high or the CE LT4 is way low. So, I would stick with the CE LT4. It will catch up to GS values because of similar low production numbers. I like the CE coupe actually, I have another convertible (Tr4) when I need top down driving, albeit a little slower. :thumb

I owned a 96 Lt4 for a while. Nice engine. The previous owner drove it hard and it had a bad Crankshaft clunk.
I sold it to a guy up in canada he flew down and bought it drove it home, 1700 miles No probs. he loved it. Sold it for 6200.
If you have a chance to purchase a lt4 i would say jump on it.
Also look at the Zr1 as they are bargains now.
As far as performance against a lt4, I wouldn't ever under estimate the lt5. I have owned them both.
With the lt5 a simple Header-flywheel-tune and you have another 50Hp. Cost me about 1100 end cost to do. Engine is a waste without headers. Engine will outlast chassis.

I owned a 96 Lt4 for a while. Nice engine. The previous owner drove it hard and it had a bad Crankshaft clunk.
I sold it to a guy up in canada he flew down and bought it drove it home, 1700 miles No probs. he loved it. Sold it for 6200.
If you have a chance to purchase a lt4 i would say jump on it.
Also look at the Zr1 as they are bargains now.

Before I purchased the CE/LT4 I was in the market for a ZR1. The ZR1 engine is fantastic and all, but the car really does not outperform the LT4 coupe and the LT4 engine may be more forgiving down the road, as it was not put together by GM (Mercury Marine). I have heard the engine is pretty much trouble free and built very well. Anyhow, I decided that the LT4 was a better deal and would have lower long term carrying costs, while being just as exclusive. The ZR1 does have a cooler interior and has the panache, but I didn't want to fight for parts on the engine down the road. Either one is really a good deal now. :beer

Before I purchased the CE/LT4 I was in the market for a ZR1. The ZR1 engine is fantastic and all, but the car really does not outperform the LT4 coupe and the LT4 engine may be more forgiving down the road, as it was not put together by GM (Mercury Marine). I have heard the engine is pretty much trouble free and built very well. Anyhow, I decided that the LT4 was a better deal and would have lower long term carrying costs, while being just as exclusive. The ZR1 does have a cooler interior and has the panache, but I didn't want to fight for parts on the engine down the road. Either one is really a good deal now. :beer
ZR-1.http://www.zr1netregistry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10647 Well as far as servicing and parts avale. please read the thread from the zr-1 registry. Guy had a bad engine noise-was solved and part found all in 2 hours.
As Far as the Lt4 original engine overhaul kits are no longer.
What parts Lt5 are people not finding?

That LT5 had a bad water pump and was a home remedy, with thanks to the Internet Forums. Where would us backyard hackers be without it! I had a bad climate control in my LT4 and with help from this forum, solved that problem with a little cleaning of the electronics. Would have had no clue how to remove the unit without forum help.

ZR1s are great cars and a definately a great deal for the money. Glad to hear that some of the user replaceable parts are still readily available!

Merry Xmas! :upthumbs

The BEST deal out there is the 96 CE w/LT4. The Grand Sport unfairly overshadows and there is always going to be a limited appeal small group that will like the shades of shocking blue/red-orange and black wheels. Here are some facts to ponder on GS vs CE w/LT4:

- 1000 GS units
- 1300 CE/LT4 units

300 units, thats the only significant difference besides some larger wheels and the paint job (much better appeal in the CE IMO). Yet, the GS commands upwards of twice the price??

Please don't misunderstand, I am not putting down the GS at all, its a great collectible car. No question that both of these cars have great potential in the long haul, but if you had a choice between the two and all things equal (and even if you had questionable aesthetic taste :chuckle) you would be nutz not to choose the CE LT4.

As for the 70 LT1 - thats my dream some day. A good friend of my dad had two LT1s - 70/71 - which he kept garaged until he died 2 years ago.

Cheers

I'm new to CAC, so I'm browsing through some of these interesting threads and felt like adding my $0.02 to this one, since I've just recently purchased an LT4 CE.

Originally when I thought I'd finally be able to buy a Corvette, I decided that I wanted a C4 ZR-1, probably for all the reasons that most would want a ZR-1 (prestige, horsepower, etc.) I found a relatively low mileage '92 black ZR-1, but it was sold while I was on vacation. After that, I had an opportunity for another ZR-1, a relatively low mileage '91 (actually it's still available, I believe, for under $17k) but I didn't like the color... it's dark red metallic, which isn't bad, but I've always wanted a silver Vette.

In terms of potential future re-sale value, I read that ZR-1's were dropping in value now, which made sense when I found out that they made 2,044 ZR-1's in '91. Yes, they made fewer in subsequent years, so ’92 – ’95 ZR-1s have going for them in terms of re-sale value.

Then I talked to a Corvette mechanic who said the repairs would be more expensive for the LT5 motor than they would be for the LT4, even though he could get the parts for the LT5 fairly easily.

After that I read that the LT4, which was rated by Chevy at 330hp (probably under what it actually puts out) compared pretty favorably to the 375hp LT5 ZR-1's. I believe the LT5 jumped to 405hp in 1993, but I never saw a '93 or later ZR-1 advertised that was in my price range.

So I gave up on buying a ZR-1. I thought if I bought a later model year standard C4 (i.e. '95 or '96) that it might be easier to find something with low mileage. Although I just couldn’t get past wanting something more than the standard C4. Don't get me wrong, I pretty much love all Corvettes, unless they've been junked up a lot, which isn't the car's fault, but the owner’s! :mad

So I started looking at LT4's, which narrowed the model year down to 1996. Then I realized that the non-CE LT4's really weren't being sold for that much more, if at all, than standard C4's, and of course none of them were silver. So once I caught on to the simple fact that if I wanted a silver Vette, it had to be a CE, that made things easier for me. I found a couple of LT1 CE's advertised that weren't that much more than standard C4's. Throw in the fact that I decided my Vette had to be a stick and my decision was pretty much made.

I did not see a single C4 GS advertised in almost six months of searching ads in the SF Bay Area. Maybe there were a few, but I didn't see them. And even if I found one, I’d be paying ’92 – ’95 ZR-1 money to get one. I’m not a big fan of the GS paint scheme either.

So I started to add all this up and when I factored in probable lower repair costs, possible future value and the fact that I wanted a silver Vette with a stick, I pretty much had to have a LT4 CE. I found one with the gray leather interior and discovered that it is one of just 625 made with that configuration (source: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/c4/1996/96prod.html).

Then the particles in the universe took over and within a week of coming to the conclusion that I had to have a LT4 CE, I found what is now my Corvette (a very low mileage Vette in great shape) advertised and the rest is history, or in my case, sweet bliss! ;):L

There were 751 LT4 CE's made with black leather interior, so they should be worth something, too. Also 164 with the torch red leather, but even though there are even fewer of those, I just can’t feature a red interior on a silver Vette. The bottom line is that I’m counting on my Vette going up in value (even though I certainly have no plans to ever sell it.) Why? The LT4 motor should become more appreciated as "intmdt8r" also believes. That, combined with the low production numbers and it should cause the value for the LT4 CE’s to go up. At least I hope so!

(sorry for this long-winded rant… in case you’re still even reading!)

I just sold my 92 Zr-1. I purchased this as I fixer, replaced a lot of stuff, its just a normal C-4 with the lt5 engine. I have owned A mint 1994 6 speed and good 1996 lt4 and the 92 Z.
If I were to do it again Id go Lt1/Lt4 and drop on a supercharger. Would be Faster and have better low end torque.
My 92Z Had A fidanza Flywheel and headers and all the little stuff.
The Z pretty much is slow off the line and has killer revving the Lt1/4 is MUCH faster off the line but runs out of breath. The supercharger would cure that.
My next vett will be a lt/ls1 383 with superchrged intake. Period. Good driving.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom