Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 LT4 suspension question Help!

1996 LT4 Topic

1badlt4

Is the Z51 suspension option worthwhile for a leisure driving Vette? I am looking at two 96 LT4 cars, one with and one without the Z51 option. Is the ride quality acceptable with the Z51? Thanks in advance.

My GS is equiped with the Z51 suspension, and I have no complaints about it. The '96 Z51 suspension was revised from the '95 Z51 suspension. The '96 car's are about as stiff as the standard equipment '95's. So by rights, the standard '96 LT4's should offer a pretty soft and smooth ride, for a Corvette.

One thing that will make a huge diffrence in the ride quality is your tires. I had stock Goodyear GSC's on the car for 1 1/2 years. Then at the begining of the summer I invested in Micheline Pilot Sports for all four corners. The car was noticebly quieter, and the ride was not so bone jaring. And IMO, the car handles better too.

So in a nutshell, yes I think the Z51 suspension is worth it.

And last but not least, welcome to the CACC.:D Always glad to have a new (prospective) LT4 owner.

Jason:w

Actually, the Z51 option was re-introduced in 1996... I believe the last year it was offered before that was 1990.

I have Z51... It has a very tight suspension. I would say it depends on the roads where you live.... You can actually tear the car apart by going over bumpy roads over and over. I love the Z51, but I really enjoy the way a tight suspension feels.... If I were you, drive both and see what you like more. FYI, Z51 adds a few bucks to the car's value (about $350 or so)

Vettelt193 said:
Actually, the Z51 option was re-introduced in 1996... I believe the last year it was offered before that was 1990.

I have Z51... It has a very tight suspension. I would say it depends on the roads where you live.... You can actually tear the car apart by going over bumpy roads over and over. I love the Z51, but I really enjoy the way a tight suspension feels.... If I were you, drive both and see what you like more. FYI, Z51 adds a few bucks to the car's value (about $350 or so)

I could have sworn the Z51 was avalible in '95. Thanks for setting me straight Bob.:)

Jason

no problem:) I could have sworn Z51 was only available on 6 spd cars, and someone set me straight a while back!

Z51 for MY96 and Z51 for MY84-90 were vastly different. Early Z51 cars had truly an aggressive driver's suspension. Z51 for MY96 was much more a touring suspension as the spring and bar rates and the shock valving were considerablly softened.

There were a fair number of people who didn't care for the stiffness and harsness of early Z51s but there were few who found the 96 version too stiff.

I think you will be happier with the 96 having Z51.

I will say the base (FE1) suspension SUCKS on the 96'. Softest in any of the C4's ever produced. I ripped most of my base suspension out & have replaced it. Still looking for a Z07 front spring. If any of you people reading have one, please ! contact me.

Neal

Z52

I have a 87 with the Z52 suspension which, according to the description is a blend of Z51 and base suspension componants that is suposed to give a firm but forgiving ride. I love it. however lets not forget what a vette really is........Its a performance race car thats "legal" for street use. It was never ment to ride like a cady. my .02 cents worth. Enjoy !

"Is the Z51 suspension option worthwhile for a leisure driving Vette?"

The FE1 base package is fine for leisure driving.

As some one mentioned above, go and test drive both.
This is what i would do in your shoes. Test drive both. The difference between the two will not be that great on a 96.

I would get the Z51 optioned vette. Then if i were not happy with the ride, change out the springs and shocks for a FE1 base setup. The FE would be easier to find than trying to find Z51 springs if you end up not being happy with the FE1 ride. Makes sense?

Keep in mind that the suspension is not what makes a car faster around turns, it's the driver. I have the FE1 on my 96. Yes, for me it's too soft for high speed runs for road course type work.
It's also too soft for autocrossing. BUT, I make it work pretty well when i autocross.

My 1991 also had base FE. But it handled allot better around a autox course and 130+mph.

Forgot to mention. You could buy either one. Then if not happy upgrade the springs and shocks with Vb products or coil overs. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom