Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 LT4 vs. LS1

1996 LT4 Topic

lt4boy

Corvette
1996 Polo Green Metellic green LT4
hey
im new to this forum and have been reading it and all i can say is WOW....u guys are great....and heres my story. im 16 and have my own LT4 vette...LOVE the car and well a guy in town just got a 04 coupe with auto. and alotta ppl have been saying that thing would whoop my LT4 bum...they dont no the LT4. i read the forum on the LT4 ZR1 Z06 and said the LT4 can run with them but itll lose..(soo sad..) so i was wondering what would a LT4 and 04 LS1 race turn out like..anyone out there knows plz tell

Thanx and GREAT site

An LT4 with a good driver can run the earlier C5's with automatics. At least that's what I've been reading.

The LT4's are underrated at 330hp, most reports have them in the 350hp neighborhood. They did that to not take any of the press away from the LS1 that would debut a model year after the LT4 came on scene.

U R 16 and own an LT4 Corvette - Sweeeet !!!

I've owned both - A race between an LT4 & LS1 would be close if they are both stock and near the same gearing.

As far as your LT4 running the Auto LS1 - Do you know if his Corvette is stock and what his rear axle ratio is? ;shrug

The driver’s skills/capabilities would also have a lot to do with the outcome.

BTW - Welcome to the :CAC

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

Isn't the performance axle the 3.07?

My old LT4 car stayed right with a 2000 coupe with performance axle all the way up to 130. It was a toss up as far as I was concerned. As mentioned already, it depends on the experience of the driver and their particular car.

thanx

thanks guys fir reassuring me of this...thats the LT4 is an amazing engine....y i got worked up about this is beyond me they both vettes...i guess its just the high school ppl gettin to me....we know in our minds what the LT4 is capable of and running with zr1 and z06 are a couple of the perks....but they all the americas sprts car.

Run 'em!

You'll smoke him!:lou If not,send him my way,and I'll smoke him!;LOL ;LOL

354RwHpLT4CE said:
You'll smoke him!:lou If not,send him my way,and I'll smoke him!;LOL ;LOL

thanx now i know and it may just come in hand one day...ok pry not patents found out about my run in with a 98 camaro SS

16yrs old, I'm putting my money on the C-5.Let you get some more seat time and the odds will change.All he has to do is stomp the gas.Launching a car without roasting the tires/bogging take practice.Best thing you could do is get some more seat time at the track.then put some 410's in and some DR's then young jedi you will be feared.

Well, he's at least 17, maybe 18 by now... ;)

....and heres my story. I'm 16 and have my own LT4 vette...LOVE the car and well a guy in town just got a 04 coupe with auto.

Wow, 16 years old and you already have a VERY serious hot rod on your hands. When I was 16 I would have been happy to have decent clothes for school. Your parents must trust you an awful lot. They must also have some deep pockets...

Be carefull with that new toy kiddo. It'll help you put yourself in an early grave if you're not... and possibly a few others along with you.

As far as racing the C5 goes, IMHO most LT4's will take most stock C5's. Ask me how I know.;) As has been stated, I highly recommend that you get ample (left) seat time at legal speeds before you attemt to challenge this guy... and then only at the track.

Again, be careful !!

thanks guys fir reassuring me of this...thats the LT4 is an amazing engine....y i got worked up about this is beyond me they both vettes...i guess its just the high school ppl gettin to me....we know in our minds what the LT4 is capable of and running with zr1 and z06 are a couple of the perks....but they all the americas sprts car.

I have an LT4 & z06. I love the LT4 and it will run with the BASE C5 cars but not a z06, nevertheless it's a great car & you will be very happy with it. So far as ZR1 goes, not having the pleasure of owning one of those I can't say. It's a pretty strong motor, a bit heavier than LT4, but I think zr1 will "edge out" an LT4, but not too badly.

Be safe.

:)

I have an LT4 & z06. I love the LT4 and it will run with the BASE C5 cars but not a z06,

It will w/ a few mods incl. gears. ;) :D

It will w/ a few mods incl. gears. ;) :D

Will it really?? I see your list of mods, and for the most part it is some relatively good work. Can your LT4 run with a Z06? Or was that just a my-car-is-faster-then-yours (for lack of better words) comment? I'm curious, because it would really warm my heart to know that with some work on our LT4s, we could keep up with a Z06.

Will it really?? I see your list of mods, and for the most part it is some relatively good work. Can your LT4 run with a Z06? Or was that just a my-car-is-faster-then-yours (for lack of better words) comment? I'm curious, because it would really warm my heart to know that with some work on our LT4s, we could keep up with a Z06.

No, I'm quite serious...although w/ no disrespect intended.

A stock ZO6 has 405 hp...I'm right there more or less (w/ a slight weight disadvantage). Plus, w/ 4.10 gears I'm lower geared then a ZO6, so that should help in the 1/4 mi. Autox may be another story altogether but in the 1/4 mile, I feel pretty confident I'd hang right w/ one. Only one way to find out...

No, I'm quite serious...although w/ no disrespect intended.

A stock ZO6 has 405 hp...I'm right there more or less (w/ a slight weight disadvantage). Plus, w/ 4.10 gears I'm lower geared then a ZO6, so that should help in the 1/4 mi. Autox may be another story altogether but in the 1/4 mile, I feel pretty confident I'd hang right w/ one. Only one way to find out...

That is some good stuff. Looking at your list of modifications, I'm going to take a few of the same routes as you did. I'm throwing for all new exhaust and I'm going to go with the CAI as well. As far as the larger diameter TB, I think I'll probably stick with the one I got now. I heard some misnomers about getting a larger diam TB, saying that you'll just catch more air quicker, not necessary more air altogether. Know what I'm saying?

The tune, I'd also like to go with. With new exhaust and other variables I don't think it's a bad idea to get a tune.

(Big Mouth Air Dam?? What is this exactly?)

Your clutch, is there a reason why you aren't running the stock one anymore? Just burn it out and decide to put something with more grip (I don't even know, is that more grip you got then the stock one??)?

RD Racing Camber Brace - again, not too sure exactly what this is, maybe for some reinforcement on your alignment?

And gears, I'll probably stick with the stock ones for drivability. She's my daily driver.

Sorry to pick apart what you've done with your car, but in the next few months I'll be shoveling some money into my '96 and I'm looking for ideas.

Thanks.

Hi JEFNLSA,

Of course, I was referring to stock for stock.

You have a very tasteful set of mods on yours & it would be fun to see how it ran against a stock z. Keep in mind the z shaves about 300-350 lbs over the LT4. Also as I drive my z it seems to jump thru 1st & 2nd VERY FAST. I am not sure what was done on the tranny gears for the z, I know the first 4 are close together & 5/6 are overdrive. Z not built for top speed as it tops at about 175 I think, but damn it's quick in the 1st 4 gears.

I think the rear is 3.42 (my stock LT4 is 3.45). That slightly taller rear would suggest that GM shortened the gears in the tranny.

I got out to Willow Springs about a month ago for HPDE on the STREETS course where there are 2 straights @ 100 mph plus.

Pretty cool.

I put myself in novice as it was my first time on track (lots of autox as you know).

Nobody could come close to the Z including an M3 and a heavily modded RX7. I would start at the front & catch the back markers after about 6 laps (1.8 mi course). From there on it was pass on both straights (corner pass not allowed).

If you have not done HPDE you have to do it, some good tracks out your way. Hard on tires & brakes though.

Froggy,

Of course my post is slightly based on a pride thing cuz I'm so envious of you and your new Z. Congrats, I eventually will be moving to one of those myself. They really are great cars and have the C4 pretty well topped on every level. My car is pretty darn quick right now though and in a straight line race may give you some trouble.

I'd love to try the autox thing but feel that, to really keep up w/ the big dogs, I'd have to do a few more suspension upgrades other than shocks, lowering etc..."Bigger bars" and more are next on the list and then we'll see after that. Do plan to take her to the track soon before the hot weather hits to see where I'm at from a 1/4 mi. perspective. I'm hoping mid 12's but we'll see.

The f'r feels fast as he!! right now thx to those gears. Da*n, what a difference! Also, I've got you to thank for the QA1's. Man are these great! I was always kickin' around the Koni's but your posts swayed me and I'm happy they did. Love 'em!

Cya man & enjoy that ZO6 of yours, BUT beware of a black LT4 closin' in fast in your rearview! :L

Jeff :beer

Hey,

I have the stock big bars (F&R) for the 96 I will be selling on CF, also Z51 springs (correct for 1996).

If you need those keep an eye out - next couple of weeks.

I do not seem to get email notice of posts to the cac threads (even though I have it selected) so email direct thru my profile if you need to contact me.

You will love the Z when you get one, try to get an 04, it has a bunch of little fixes & upgrades but they are all good.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom