Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 LT4 vs. LS1

1996 LT4 Topic
Cool...

I may have to PM you in advance cuz that's exactly what I'm looking for.

:beer

I took off the rear bar last night & put the base bar back in. Doing the front today & watch the Daytona too. Busy day. The bars make the car work like a Vette should. I remember how I was sort of disappointed in the handling when I first got mine. Engine was awesome but it floated & leaned like an old 60's Cadillac when you tried to corner or went thru dips in the road. The bars, springs & shocks really transformed the car & the ride was still not punishing.

:)

Definitely have an interest in "the bars", and not from an alcoholic standpoint. :L

I'll stand by 300-350. My 04 Z with a 1/4 tank of gas scaled at 3075 lbs. You are saying my LT4 with the same gas load weighs in at 3275, right?

At the 2006 SCCA National Tour my LT4 scaled (on official scales) a bit over 3400. That does include a harness bar (25 lbs) so lets call the car 3375.

That puts my personal LT4 300 lbs over my personal Z06 stock for stock. Also the LT has a bigger gas tank so gassed up add the weight of 2 gallons of gas hence why I said 300 to 350. Maybe I should have said 300 to 325. I stand corrected.

Everyone has an opinion (you know how the saying goes) I have owned & scaled both cars.

I'll stand by 300-350. My 04 Z with a 1/4 tank of gas scaled at 3075 lbs. You are saying my LT4 with the same gas load weighs in at 3275, right?

At the 2006 SCCA National Tour my LT4 scaled (on official scales) a bit over 3400. That does include a harness bar (25 lbs) so lets call the car 3375.

Wow...you're right.

Looks like a lot of C5Z guys actually weigh-in well under stated weight while the LT4 is about right. (Yours must be well optioned #3375.)

My reasons for *not* buying a C5Z are dwindling daily!

Mea culpa! :beer

me again

Wow, 16 years old and you already have a VERY serious hot rod on your hands. When I was 16 I would have been happy to have decent clothes for school. Your parents must trust you an awful lot. They must also have some deep pockets...

Be carefull with that new toy kiddo. It'll help you put yourself in an early grave if you're not... and possibly a few others along with you.

As far as racing the C5 goes, IMHO most LT4's will take most stock C5's. Ask me how I know.;) As has been stated, I highly recommend that you get ample (left) seat time at legal speeds before you attemt to challenge this guy... and then only at the track.

Again, be careful !!

Its been a while since ive looked at this and am happy that this topic has been looked at. I am currently about 18(one month away) and my vette has been awesome to me through the years, though not getting the attention it deserves with South Dakota winters. As for the deep pockets, my parents didnt pay a dime for this car, it is MINE!, i saved my money for 16 years abd got a damn good deal on ebay for it.

That puts my personal LT4 300 lbs over my personal Z06 stock for stock. Also the LT has a bigger gas tank so gassed up add the weight of 2 gallons of gas hence why I said 300 to 350. Maybe I should have said 300 to 325. I stand corrected.

Everyone has an opinion (you know how the saying goes) I have owned & scaled both cars.

Bob the info I have on the weights from published GM sources is 3298 for the LT4 and 3117 for the 02Z so 181 lbs difference and presumabley GM used the same process and fluid levels for the record. If your numbers didn't match these I'll bet the discrepancy was with the scales you used rather than the actual cars themselves.
I think the standard for published weights, from Chevy at least, is 1/2 tank of fuel, so your's should have been lighter than the book numbers.
I have also seen 3118 as a published weight for an 03Z and 3301 for a m/t 1996 so I think the weight difference of 180-185lbs should be accurate.
Jeff's car would be closer to the Z except for the aftermarket wheel/tires probably adds more weight than the aftermarket exhaust cuts. Of course if you take both cars to the same scale on the same day and get a 300lb difference then I am wrong:)

Jeff's LT4 could be putting the 350-360hp to the rear wheels that a stock Z does and the gears give him a torque advantage so they should be in the same area. But I have seen some pretty amazing 60' times from stock Z06s on stock F1s(hence 11.8x stock times from the very best drivers), and I am not certain the C4 will stick and launch as well. I know 4.10s are the first mod people will recommend to a stock LT4, but with the cam, exhaust, and tune, getting the perfect result out of first gear might be tough with street tires. Only track time will tell. Definitely in the same ballpark though.

edit-The weights I stated above were not taken from this site, although I see they match what is listed in the Model Center here.

From my own personal experience, a bone stock LT4:

Can handle (provided that you don't miss any shifts or booger the launch)-LS1 C5s. They are so very close to the LT4 C4 and vice versa. It's fun to run LS1 C5s.

LS1 Z28s/TAs/Formulas run good if they have a good driver and sticky rear tires. Same goes for 04 GTOs. 05-06 GTOs are right there with the LS1 C5s....you gotta drive good when up against one.

All SSRs, Silverado SS and the 06-current Trailblazer SS are all nothing to worry about because they are all heavy and crippled with low top speed limiters

Can't handle-LS6 C5s or any C6. Don't attempt to mess with them or else you will get your better side handed to you.

Modded LT4-Well, the sky is the limit depending on what you have done to it. lol

No, I'm quite serious...although w/ no disrespect intended.

A stock ZO6 has 405 hp...I'm right there more or less (w/ a slight weight disadvantage). Plus, w/ 4.10 gears I'm lower geared then a ZO6, so that should help in the 1/4 mi. Autox may be another story altogether but in the 1/4 mile, I feel pretty confident I'd hang right w/ one. Only one way to find out...

Not sure what your 1/4 mile times are but a stock C5 Z06 is capable of 11.9's and low 12's with a good driver.

You really need to get to the track and make some practice runs.

A C5 auto driver only has to release the brake and slam the gas down after the last yellow -

Doesnt matter what all the magazines report or past owners of similar cars have to say, without practice its very unlikely you will get the full potential of your LT4.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom