Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 Lt4

1996 LT4 Topic

larryfs

I'm looking at a 25,000 mile LT4 this weekend. hopefully my first vette. Is there anything I should look for? minor stuff don't bother me like brakes, or minor front end parts.

I'm concerned about major stuff since there is no warrenty. my 96 impala LT1 had major problems with optispark, heater cores with dex cool problems, water pumps, A/C leaks, piston slap, pinion leaks.

should I expect the same from the LT4 motor. the car is all stock, not the orig owner. I know the hard top weather stripping been replaced, but that is the only thing that was done under warrenty. anything to look for that is a major repair expense?

thx
Larry

Larry,

I've had my LT4 equiped Grand Sport for a little over 2 years now. The only things I've had to replace on it where the raidator, because it was punctured by road debris, and the battery when it died a month ago.

With regular maintenence, the LT4 is a very reliable engine. If the car has been well maintained, and you have the service records/recipts to prove it, I'd say go for it. IMO, the LT4 is the best all around C4 ever built.

Jason

Wow... that is a bunch of problems for a '96 Impala... how many miles did you have on it? My LT4 vette has been very reliable... actually, all I have done so far is a pair of tires, and rear brake pads... I have 37k on it now... the car needs a window guide and a backup switch on the tranny... neither are big deals, it is just a matter of finding time to fix them.

The LT4 is very similar to the LT1... if you know your way around the LT1, you will do fine with the LT4. The LT4 is in a whole new league when it comes to power output... It is amazing how much better they feel, and run over the LT1.

There were a few recalls on the early LT4 engine, if this applies to the LT4 u r looking @ make sure they are done.

The LT4 is a great engine and the last year of the C4 was of course the most refined.

What's the color and what r they asking for it?

What would a pristine LT4/F45 with less than 17,000 miles, one of 79 like it, go for?

Black/Black and loaded.........So clean you could eat off of it....:beer :w

I paid 23.9k for mine w/13k miles. No F45.

larryfs said:
I'm looking at a 25,000 mile LT4 this weekend. hopefully my first vette. Is there anything I should look for? minor stuff don't bother me like brakes, or minor front end parts.

I'm concerned about major stuff since there is no warrenty. my 96 impala LT1 had major problems with optispark, heater cores with dex cool problems, water pumps, A/C leaks, piston slap, pinion leaks.

should I expect the same from the LT4 motor. the car is all stock, not the orig owner. I know the hard top weather stripping been replaced, but that is the only thing that was done under warrenty. anything to look for that is a major repair expense?

thx
Larry

Well . . . How did it look, is it worth picking up ?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom