Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Luggage Rack Removal

V

Vintagevetter

I'm looking at buying a 94 convertible, its in pretty good shape and a fair price, however it has a luggage rack mounted on the back..I have no use for a rack, plus I think it really ruins the look of the car. My question, does anyone know how much trouble it is to remove one of these racks, and also how much work to restore the body and finish after its off? It looks like part or all of it, might be put on with some some of adheisve....any suggestions or information? thanks

As far as I know (a friend put those luggage racks on two of his 1993 convertibles), holes are drilled into the back deck. I'd think it would be a major repair job!

Elaine

She's right except for your definition of "major" repair.

I wouldn't hesitate to tackle it but that's just me. Depends on your level of experience and the "pucker factor" as defined by only you.

I've seen both early C3's and C4's that have had a luggage rack removed. Filling the holes so they don't show takes skill and talent from a very good fibergalss expert. A lot also depends on the color of the car; light colors seem to hide the repair better than dark colors.

Thanks for the info

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the input on this subject...Its beyond me, why anyone would put a luggage rack on a Corvette... You strap cargo to the outside of things like, trucks, SUV' and station wagons...not to high performance sports cars.. If you have too much stuff to fit inside the Corvette....take another car.

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the input on this subject...Its beyond me, why anyone would put a luggage rack on a Corvette... You strap cargo to the outside of things like, trucks, SUV' and station wagons...not to high performance sports cars.. If you have too much stuff to fit inside the Corvette....take another car.

SOME of us like to use OUR cars for more than speed type events. We found that we could not fit what we needed to bring with us when we travel.

Your "take another car" comment is what I usually hear from non-Corvette people when we have our car loaded for a weekend adventure. Another Corvette person making that kind of comment is strange.

I am the person that GS DIVA was referring to about having installed 2 luggage racks on our 93 convertibles.

SOME of us like to use OUR cars for more than speed type events. We found that we could not fit what we needed to bring with us when we travel.

Your "take another car" comment is what I usually hear from non-Corvette people when we have our car loaded for a weekend adventure. Another Corvette person making that kind of comment is strange.

I am the person that GS DIVA was referring to about having installed 2 luggage racks on our 93 convertibles.
TO EACH HIS OWN :upthumbs

I've seen both early C3's and C4's that have had a luggage rack removed. Filling the holes so they don't show takes skill and talent from a very good fibergalss expert. A lot also depends on the color of the car; light colors seem to hide the repair better than dark colors.
I may take my wing off my C4. It has holes drilled into the top of the rear bumper[not in the fiberglass].

The holes will need to be filled and repainted.
Any opinion on the difficulty of this ???

I may take my wing off my C4. It has holes drilled into the top of the rear bumper[not in the fiberglass].

The holes will need to be filled and repainted.
Any opinion on the difficulty of this ???

You can always try have the holes filled to see how it turns out. Or you can just replace the bumper and not have to worry about the holes at all.

Hey Vintagevetter,if you take the luggage off and want to throw it my way let me know. I guess it goes back to Route 66 traveling around the country side and like everyone said no room in a convertible.

You can always try have the holes filled to see how it turns out. Or you can just replace the bumper and not have to worry about the holes at all.
Well, I'll worry about it in the spring when I decide to bring it to a bodyshop.
;)

Hey partspup, VERY cool avatar. I really like that shot.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom