Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Luggage rack

lagnaf

Corvette
1973 pearl white roadster
When I repaint my '73 vert, I'm considering nixing the luggage rack. What's the consensus on the luggage rack on the back? Personally I'm on the fence about it.

Hi,

When we had a '74 convertible, we had a luggage rack and loved it! I'd keep it.

Elaine

Hi,

When we had a '74 convertible, we had a luggage rack and loved it! I'd keep it.

Elaine

Why did you love it. Did you use it?

First of all, we added it to the '74...didn't come out of the factory with it, but we like the looks of the convertible with the luggage rack. And, actually we did use it when we went on weekend trips.

What are your thoughts about removing it?

Elaine

i dont use mine but i wouldnt own a c3 without one. the rear deck just looks huge without something to break up the monster shape.
at least the hardtops have the pillars on the sides to give it some design. a convertible like mine looks like a giant kitchen table in the rear without a little chrome to break up the shape.

I 'd say lose the rack; personally I think they look horrible on a C3 and completely ruin the lines of the car. Corvettes weren't designed with luggage racks in mind; in fact, I don't think they were ever a factory opotion but may have been dealer add ons.

Of course it is all a matter of personal taste but, I would never have a C3 Corvette equipped with a rack.

I put a luggage rack on my 94 vert and use it a lot. Had one on both my 56 and 66 verts and used them quite a bit. It's your choice, but I really like them.
Barrett

A '56 has a full trunk. Why add a luggage rack?

:)

You are correct, the C1s (and my 56) had trunks. Back in 1958-64 I was in college in St Louis and lived in KC, Mo. My roommate was also from KC. Since I had the car, I needed the extra space for his and my luggage. Sometimes I took too much stuff with me when I was alone, so I used the luggage rack when travelling by myself. When the hard top was not on the 56, I would even pack stuff in the convertible compartment for the trip home. I had a soft vinyl fully enclosed cover custom made for my rack to protect the luggage from the elements. After we graduated in 63, he purchased a 61 corvette and we continued to room together for another year as I was in graduate school and he was working in St Louis. He put a luggage rack on his vette (it also had a trunk) to accomodate all our stuff. When I purchased a 1963 swc after getting my masters degree, I was commissioned and stationed in Alaska, I gave him the cover. I hooked up with him in St Louis in 1967 when I was transferred to Washington DC. I had just purchased a 1966 427 roadster and had put a luggage rack on it as it had no trunk nor space in the boot when the convertible top was down and the hard top attached. He was just selling his vette and gave me the cover back. I still have the cover and sometime use it on the 94. So I am very used to the luggage rack concept and find it functional; I also like the look of the factory rack on my 94. With the 56, I did not have to remove the luggage to fuel the vette as the filler was behind the driver pillar. With the 66 and 94, I have to remove the luggage from the rack to access the fuel filler, the only drawback. The C5s and C6s appear to have much larger trunks than the C1s, so if I ever get a C5 or C6 vert, I may reconsider the luggage rack addition. Plus I don't think that GM offers an OEM rack; they certainly didn't for the C1s nor the C2s (if I remember correctly). They were after market racks.
As an after thought, when I was an extra on a
Route 66 show filmed in St Louis, they had just switched to a 63 vert and the production people looked at my set up on the 56. We did discuss the pros and cons of the luggage rack. I believe they added a rack to the two 63s, but I am not sure as my memory fades with age.
I have been toying with the idea of driving the 94 to CF 09 in BG this June, since I took the C5 to Cleveland last year, and of course would utilize the rack. The rack was on the 94 when I was at CF07 in Colorado Springs, but I did not have to use, but I should have as I filled the passenger side with my stuff, as well as the convertible boot area.
Hope this answers your question about the 56 vette and why I had a luggage rack on it; I was a bit long winded in my response - sorry.
Barrett

My brothers 77 has a luggage rack. Something about the original chrome ralley wheels, chrome emblems, chrome trim around the ttops and the chrome luggage rack combo make it look sharp. He never uses it though. I would say all matter of taste, I like with them with and without it. It is probably handy for travel with the lack of storage space, but I think putting anything on it would obstruct the rear view. It is hard enough to see around the blind spots of the sugar scoop form of 68-77 years.

What are your thoughts about removing it?

I don't know why... but a bug crawled up my ass and planted the question. I'm getting a paint job soon and I'm just making sure I consider all of the options. I don't want to regret anything.

Im not a current owner but I plan to be in the next 6 months. So my opinion is with a grain of salt.
Im going to go out on a ledge here by myself and so I don't like the luggage rack. When I look at the cars I want to purchase, if it has a luggage rack I usually stop looking.
I like the smooth flowing lines with out it and just can't grasp using a sports car for hauling stuff.
This also may be because Im looking for a 69-72 car, where maybe later year C3s maybe be daily drivers, mine won't be.
signed 'devils advocate' :)

If you are going to remove the luggage rack, patching the holes will take a lot of work, they seem to show up with the best work after painting the car. I personally like my luggage rack, the extra chrome adds to the appearace of the car.

This also may be because Im looking for a 69-72 car, where maybe later year C3s maybe be daily drivers, mine won't be.
signed 'devils advocate' :)

Nice snobby comment, you've possibly offended the majority of car owners here. :rotfl

In my experience, permanent removal of a rack is difficult. The holes in the rear deck seem to telegraph through the body work repair and repaint.

Well, what I meant to say is since there is a wide range of years for a the C3 era corvettes. There is a posibility that there are a lot more of the younger ones out there that still can be driven and not just parked in a garage.

If you are going to remove the luggage rack, patching the holes will take a lot of work, they seem to show up with the best work after painting the car. I personally like my luggage rack, the extra chrome adds to the appearace of the car.

Good information. This subject has come up at various times over the years with the caveat that surface dimples evenually appear in an awful lot of instances.

I like my luggage rack.
PaintedCarHome10.jpg

Nice snobby comment, you've possibly offended the majority of car owners here. :rotfl

In my experience, permanent removal of a rack is difficult. The holes in the rear deck seem to telegraph through the body work repair and repaint.

No, no, no...I am one who likes the luggage racks on C3's (and C4's for that matter), and I am far from offended! Everyone has a right to their own opinion, and that's what CAC is all about.

I do agree that the holes in the rear deck are extremely difficult to remove permanently. Again, I'd leave the rack on. Just my opinion! ;)

Elaine

It would be nice to have to throw the golf clubs on so dad and i could take the Vette to the golf course.I do however like how mine looks without it.

Have one on my 76, use it on every trip. Haf mine powder coated, looks great. If you do use it. Go to REI and get a ocean kyak bag, Its waterproof. I spent one whole day in the rain and everything was dry.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom