Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

M22 Transmission ??

B

Billy

The other day I posted a thread regarding the clutch slipping in my LT-1. When I bought the car I was concerned that it was numbers matching, which it is, as far as the engine goes.

Yesterday when I went to check on how the clutch was coming, the guy that was working on the car was more excited to see me than usual. He said " I've got something to show you." Then he asked if I knew the car had a Rock Crusher (M22) in it. I told him that I didn't. How do I know if this transmission is the original?

Thanks for the help.

Billy:s

Need the built sheet

Billy,
Unless you can trace the car back to the dealer and they kept the records or you have the original build sheet.. It is very hard to varify orignality.. Having said that.. Look at the suspension if you have the FE suspension (7 leaf spring, rear stablizer) my guess it that it M22 is original :D ... you lucky dog..

You may be able to tell from the numbers off the Transmission too, it may give you a clue to the date of mfr. and what is was to be used for.. this is a long shot.. maybe 59Tom can help there.
Good luck.

BudD:w

Billy, I think that even the M22's should have the car's VIN on it somwhere just like the automatics do. Other then that the build date will help to verify that at least it was or was not built around the same time as the car. Mmmmmmm22. That's good luck, even if the car didn't come with it..............Steve

Billy,
The VIN number is stamped in the tranny so that should help. Also there is a chance you have a ZR1, that option included the LT-1 engine, radio deleat, no power steering, no AC and several other neat things. Have fun checking.
Dean

Billy,
Sorry to hear that you have that trans in your car. I hear they are real hard on clutches, being close ratio. Tell you what - let me show you what kind of generous person that I am. I'll trade you a freshly rebuilt M-20 ( wide ratio ) for that old worn out M-22.
Mike

Billy,

If you will click on the link below, it will take you to Corvette Magazine. From there click on the link for Archives. Then click on Technical Archive Search. Select Engine/Drivetrain components. Article 4 is 1963-1974 Muncie Transmission Identification - Part 1. Article 5 is 1963-1974 Muncie Transmission Identification - Part 2. They give a very detailed explanation about identifying Muncies.

Mike

http://www.corvettemagazine.com

Not much help on the current subject, but I thought I would relate a little story about the M22 tranny.

A Chief on my boat in the Navy had a '74 L48. It was an Ecklers project car, black with the '82 body pannels and a short back. Looked like the Batmobile. Anyway, it was boored and stroked to a 383, and I think B&B exhaust's. It also had an M22 in it. I got to drive it a couple of times. That car was QUICK! And the M22 was a lot of fun.

You are one lucky dog Billy! Keep us posted on your research.

Jason

M22 Trany

Yesterday afternoon I picked up my car. I spoke with my mechanic about the car coming from the factory with a M22. He said that he couldn't see anybody going to the expense of putting a M22 in a car as a replacement. " They are just to rare and expensive", knowing the fact the car had been owned by the previous owner for 20 years and had been sitting in a garage for 15 without being driven much at all. I am 90% sure it is original, tomorrow I intend to get under there and find out for sure. I'll keep you posted.

O ya I'll consider the offers to trade. Don't hold your breath.

Billy

M22

Billy,
An M22 on a LT1 would not be too unusual. Check this thread for a discusion of trans IDs.
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1522

Your serial number should also be stamped on the left side. I think vertically at the front of the case. I'll have to check when I get home.

Does your car have J56 brakes? One pin or two holding the pads in the calipers.

Happy hunting,
Tom

M22 Trans

Tom

Thanks for the info. I went to the site Mike suggested and got some info. I just got home from church and intend to start the investigation after some lunch. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks

Billy

Billy,

Glad I was able to help. I hope your search is fruitful!

Mike :w

Will the real M22 stand up?

Ok everybody here is the verdict.

I just crawled out from under the car. It is definatly a M22 and has my VIN stamped on it. I guess this is a good thing, at least I'm happy just knowing the trans is original. It being a M22 is a real plus !!!!!

Thanks for all the help.

Billy:w

Re: Will the real M22 stand up?

Billy said:
Ok everybody here is the verdict.

I just crawled out from under the car. It is definatly a M22 and has my VIN stamped on it. I guess this is a good thing, at least I'm happy just knowing the trans is original. It being a M22 is a real plus !!!!!

Thanks for all the help.

Billy:w

So, you have a '71 LT-1 with an M-22 rock crusher tranny. Does that mean you have a factory ZR-1?:J

Jason

ZR1

The '71 M22 was available without the ZR1 or ZR2 option. To be a ZR1 it has to have the heavy duty brakes and suspension. Time to look for the tank sticker.

Tom

I knew you would have the answer Tom. It looks like Billy is batting 1000 so far though. Cross your fingers!

Jason

LT1 w/ a M22 or ZR1??

I had to replace the fuel tank a while back and no such luck on the build sheet. The radiator looks like a norman one with a plastic fan shroud.

I strongly doubt I have a ZR1. What should I be looking for?

Thanks

Billy

Check to see if you have the std. 9 leaf spring or the H.D. 7 leaf.

Tom

LT-1 with ZR-1 option

Tom:

After work I'll check the rear spring. I have the original at the house. When I purchased the car it came with several boxes of parts since it was an unfinished restoration.

I have looked through everything I have and don't have the build sheet. I plan on calling the guy I bought the car from and see if he has it. Since he took the car apart if it was salvageable he may still have it put up somewhere. I can only keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks

Bill

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom