Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Make 82 Yvette wheels look new

I ran into a guy that used a product on his 81 Yvette wheels that I would have thought they were brand new wheels. I asked the name of the product and he could not think of the name. He said it came in small can, was like material. Has anybody found a product that will work for me. I went to orileys and all they had was mother's, which I have used and not impressed with, and several others. Any ideas, thanks in advance

I have used Mothers on my '81 wheels for years and get mirror shine with it. it's even easier since I got Powerball. If your wheels still have the factory clear coat on them Mothers or anything else won't shine them. Have you removed the clear coat?

Tom

How do I remove clear coat on wheels?

I have used Mothers on my '81 wheels for years and get mirror shine with it. it's even easier since I got Powerball. If your wheels still have the factory clear coat on them Mothers or anything else won't shine them. Have you removed the clear coat?

Tom
How do remove clear coat?

It was really thin on our '81 and wore through in places so I just buffed it off with rubbing compound. I have seen wheel clear coat remover in the auto parts stores but haven't tried it. Be sure to read the directions carefully on any chemical stripper. I also use 0000 steel wool to lightly polish metal and even clean overspray off of glass. Light pressure is the key. It should take off clear coat if it's thin. Just don't press too hard or it will make more work.

I use the Mothers paste in the small can and also the Mothers Power ball with the spray that Mothers sells for use with it.

A good tip to clean your wheel after polishing is to go to the kitchen and get some flour in a bowl. Use a soft cloth and dip it in the dry flour. Wipe the wheel with it and it will pick up all of the black polishing residue and leave a bright shine.

Tom

One more thing. I think the product that guy used was Never Dul. It is a wadding in a can and does a nice job polishing bare previously polished aluminum but it don't take off clear coat.

Tom

Kleen Strip makes a product called Aircraft Peeler which is a aluminum safe clear coat remover. After the clear coat is removed, I use the Meguires aluminum wheel polish with their foam wheel polishing cone. The Meguires polishing cone is similar to Mothers Polishing ball.

I saw that Kleen Strip on line when I was looking around. Sounds like a good product.

Tom

I used the Citrusstrip stopper from Home Depot - protect tire, let sit over-night, and rinse off. Now the wheel will take a good polish. First paint the 8 holes from the back- side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom