Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Make-your-own C6 Z06...

Aurora40

Corvette
1990 red on red ZR-1
Most Powerful Small-Block Ever - Available in a Crate

DETROIT - Chevrolet unveiled the 2006 Corvette Z06 at Detroit's North American International Auto Show in January, and now GM Performance Parts is unveiling the crate engine version of the LS7 engine that powers it. This latest Z06, billed as "the fastest, most powerful car ever offered by Chevrolet and GM," has enthusiasts looking for that kind of power in a crate engine. GM Performance Parts is ready to end that search as it offers the LS7 (P/N 17802397) at GM dealerships and Authorized Centers, nationwide in August.

This small-block V-8 dreams big, displacing big-block cubic inches at 7.0 Liters (427 cubic inches) and big-block power at 500 hp at 6200 rpm. It also benches 475 lb.-ft. of torque at 4800 rpm. Helping to create its high power and high revving capability are details such as cylinder heads with computer numerical control (CNC) intake and exhaust ports and combustion chambers - which creates ports with surgical accuracy for maximum power production. In addition, the intake valves and connecting rods are made out of high-strength lightweight titanium.

The LS7 engines are assembled by hand at GM Powertrain's new Performance Build Center in Wixom, Mich.

Pricing will be announced mid-summer; however, early estimates indicate that the GMPP LS7 crate engine will sell for well below the cost of comparable custom-built aftermarket engines.

Enthusiasts who must have the latest technology, maximum horsepower and the largest production cubic-inch displacement small-block ever built will be able to purchase the LS7, as well as other GM Performance Parts crate engines, blocks, heads and components, from GM dealerships or GMPP Authorized Centers nationwide. Following the release of the LS7 in a crate, GMPP will offer select parts, such as the crankshaft, connecting rods, cylinder heads and valves separately, and in kit form. To locate the closest GM dealership or GMPP Authorized Center or dealership, call 1-800-GM USE US or visit www.goodwrench.com.

General Motors (NYSE: GM), the world's largest vehicle manufacturer, designs, builds, and markets cars and trucks worldwide, and has been the global automotive sales leader since 1931. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.

LS7 specifications:

Part number:

Horsepower:

500 (373 kW) @ 6200 rpm

Torque (lb.-ft.):

475 (644 Nm) @ 4800 rpm

Engine type:

Cam-in-block 90-degree V-8

Displacement (L/cu in):

7.0 / 427

Bore x stroke (mm/in)

104.8 x 101.6 / 4.125 x 4.00

Block:

Cast aluminum with pressed-in cylinder sleeves and 6-bolt, forged steel main bearing caps

Crankshaft:

Forged steel

Connecting rods:

Forged titanium

Pistons:

Cast aluminum

Camshaft type:

Hydraulic roller, 15 mm (.591 in) lift (intake and exhaust)

Cylinder heads:

CNC-ported aluminum; 70-cc chamber volume

Valve size (mm/in):

56 / 2.20 (titanium) intake / 41 / 1.61 (sodium-filled) exhaust

Compression ratio

11.0:1

Rocker arms:

1.8:1; offset (intake only)

Recommended fuel:

Premium required. 91 octane minimum

CONTACT(S):
Cheryl McCarron
GM Performance Parts Communications
810 606-3112 (office)
248 330-2801 (cell)
cheryl.mccarron@gm.com
From: http://media.gm.com/servlet/Gateway...ws/viewpressreldetail.do?domain=2&docid=13297

For the most part, GM crate engines seem to be quite affordable. Just wait until people start popping these in the non C6 'Vette's!

Big block power in a small block package. What more could you want out of life?:L

>>>>>>GM crate engines seem to be quite affordable. Just wait until people start popping these in the non C6 'Vette's<<<<<<

Edmond,... that's my thinking too. I doubt I can afford either:

... the new zo6... or the rag top conversion that I would HAVE to have.

But maybe in two or three years, I could afford a crated LS7. That and some long tube headers would make for an interesting 1998 convertible. I just hope someone works out a computer interface so I'm not popping codes.

Terry,

You could also throw a supercharger in there and have LS7 power:D

Edmond said:
Terry,

You could also throw a supercharger in there and have LS7 power:D

For a whole lot less money. I had been wondering how I could get my hands on a C6 Z06, but I may just add a supercharger to my 2002 Z06 and have enough money left to get a Harley!

Who am I fooling? I will get a used 2005 or 2006 Z06 in a few years. :upthumbs

And I bet it gets awesome gas mileage.

DRTH VTR said:
Who am I fooling? I will get a used 2005 or 2006 Z06 in a few years. :upthumbs

Does that mean that I inherit the 2002 Z06?:D

I love that engine, but we don't live in 1967 anymore. It would be more than just bolting that in your std Vette. What about the computer, the intake, the exhaust, the sensors and other stuff that I'm forgetting right now? I've heard the computer is getting harder to mod.

Edmond said:
For the most part, GM crate engines seem to be quite affordable. Just wait until people start popping these in the non C6 'Vette's!

Big block power in a small block package. What more could you want out of life?:L

The c5 drivetrain won't hold it ............

Edmond said:
Big block power in a small block package. What more could you want out of life?

I'd want to wake up tomorrow and find the engine at my front door. Free of charge.

That's what I would ask for. :L

DarkShark78 said:
I'd want to wake up tomorrow and find the engine at my front door. Free of charge.

That's what I would ask for. :L

It won't be there until Monday. No one ships on Sunday. By the way, I had it sent COD.:L

Edmond said:
It won't be there until Monday. No one ships on Sunday. By the way, I had it sent COD.

Really?? That is sooooo cool because I sent yours the same way!! :L

DarkShark78 said:
Really?? That is sooooo cool because I sent yours the same way!! :L

I sure did. When they asked for the money order, I showed them the 12 gauge and they took the car back.:L:L:L

They mumbled something about sending it back to you.:L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom