Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

making the new baby look good

Full Bull

ok, need some help on taking care of some minor nuisances in the new ride.'

1) the rear deck shade/cover.....the tabs where it's supposed to hook on to when drawn closed are worn, and the shade won't hold. How can i fix that?

2) What's the latest on using ethlene glycol antifreeze in the vette...yes or no?

3) How do you get the lid that covers the change holder off? There's a ball point pen lodged in the side that prevents the door from opening more than 3/4's way.... Tried everything short of trying to cut through the pen with a serrated steak knive!!

4) Carpet on driver side has a hole worn in the carpet where the previous owner's foot obviously rested. Any way of fixing that where it's barely noticeable? Don't want to drop 600-700 bucks for new carpets when the rest of the carpets in good shape

5) Thinking about doing the lettering on the rear and front...but, have only been able to look at pics. Not sure I like them...but, hard to tell just by lookinig at a photo. Don't like the silver with my torch red, thinking more of the black letters. Any thoughts from those who have seen them "in the flesh?"

6) There's a courtesy light on the right side of my rearview mirror that's on any time my headlights are on....and there doesn't seem to be a switch to turn it off. The light on the left (driver's ) side has a on/off switch. How/can I turn that light off?

7) Also looking at applying a light to moderately dark tint....think it'd look good with the red. Any recommendations on the tinting materials...which brands the best for longevity, good looks, and effectiveness in blocking out the UVs??

Whew......done for now, thanks!

newbie said:
1) the rear deck shade/cover.....the tabs where it's supposed to hook on to when drawn closed are worn, and the shade won't hold. How can i fix that?
The aftermarket catalogs sell replacement hooks that are better than the originals.
2) What's the latest on using ethlene glycol antifreeze in the vette...yes or no?
Sorry, can't help ya. ;)
3) How do you get the lid that covers the change holder off?
Sorry again, mine doesn't have a cover.
There's a ball point pen lodged in the side that prevents the door from opening more than 3/4's way.... Tried everything short of trying to cut through the pen with a serrated steak knive!!
Had the same thing happen to me with some decals. I was lucky and was able to finally fish them out. If you can't remove the pen, you'll have to remove a lot of the dash to remove the console top.
4) Carpet on driver side has a hole worn in the carpet where the previous owner's foot obviously rested. Any way of fixing that where it's barely noticeable? Don't want to drop 600-700 bucks for new carpets when the rest of the carpets in good shape.
Floormats. ;)
5) Thinking about doing the lettering on the rear and front...but, have only been able to look at pics. Not sure I like them...but, hard to tell just by lookinig at a photo. Don't like the silver with my torch red, thinking more of the black letters. Any thoughts from those who have seen them "in the flesh?"
That is a personal preference thing; I had mine both ways, and will probably switch it again someday.
6) There's a courtesy light on the right side of my rearview mirror that's on any time my headlights are on....and there doesn't seem to be a switch to turn it off. The light on the left (driver's ) side has a on/off switch. How/can I turn that light off?
Hmmm... The one switch on mine controls both lights I think. :confused
7) Also looking at applying a light to moderately dark tint....think it'd look good with the red. Any recommendations on the tinting materials...which brands the best for longevity, good looks, and effectiveness in blocking out the UVs??
Whew......done for now, thanks!
Shop around, I've had mine done for years now, so I'm out of touch with the latest technology there too.

Good luck Worthey. :upthumbs

_ken :w

#2- stick with Dexcool

#6-if it is like mine the light is controlled by the dimmer for the dash lights. I guess it's for people that can't remember the shift pattern.

vetsvette....yes, the light is controlled by the dimmer switch...so, when the backlights are on, so is the courtesy light. I find it to be an annoyance at night, when the light's glaring off the big dice I have hanging off the rearview.... :D

Dice

You should have said so to begin with. With the "Corvette Mood Lighting" you have to use the non-reflective fuzzy dice. It's in the owner's manual. :Twist

<<1) the rear deck shade/cover.....the tabs where it's supposed to hook on to when drawn closed are worn, and the shade won't hold. How can i fix that?>>

I had that problem with my '95. I corrected that by finding a length of black neoprene hose that had an inside diameter about the size of the outside diamter of the end of the shade rod. Cut 2 lengths to about 3/4". Slip over each end of the shade rod. Now that really holds things in place. If that makes it a little too tight, simply take a very small amount of silicone grease (like Sil-Glide) and apply that to tube ends. Wipe off so all you have is an invisible film and......voila!

Ted Valley

tvalley...geez....so simple, yet brilliant. Thanks....you saved me some $$ and time. Looks and works great.

<<tvalley...geez....so simple, yet brilliant. Thanks....you saved me some $$ and time. Looks and works great.>>

That tickles! Glad it worked.

Ted Valley

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom