Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

manual shift knob

clok1966

Corvette
87 Black with gray Interior
I had asked before but got no responce so figured I would try again. I own an 87 with a 4+3. The shift knob is ugly. So far the OD button on top knobs are basicly impossilbe to get. Several people on E-bay list them, but they ARE NOT CORRECT for the Push button on top OD knobs. I see i can get the correct button now (i bought a whole shifter, linkage and all to get one that wasnt broke!).

My question, Anybody replaced the 4+3 knob with an aftermarket one? If so what ones work? I'm willing to move my switch, not worried about that, I am sick of trying to get the correct parts, I simply cant find the correct knob (if you have one for a somewaht ok price, please let me know). I'm ready to throw in the towel and replace with a knob that will fit.

Anybody have any ideas? I would imagine its a threaded knob (seems that way from my searchs here) but no actual sizes. Any help at all on sizes or what somebody else has tried succesfully (or not) would help.

The thread size on the OE shifter is not a common one like used on Hurst / B&M shifters
( larger I recall )
I suspect you would need to make a threaded insert to change thread to more common size then you could use any knob you like

Sounds like this is a major problem for people... What is this knob like? Switch in the top? what kind of threads etc.
Anyplace I could get prints or measurements ?
I work as a machinist and might be able to make some.If there would be about half a dozen or so that need them it might be worth the time to set up and program the CNC
They would have to be a round , Oval and/or tapered type.
Glenn
:w

I'm willing to move my switch.
Along that line, my '84 has a rocker switch that sits right under my wrist for easy operation. Drop the wrist- O/D-ON; Drop the wrist- O/D-OFF.<< as an alternative :w

what kind of threads etc.
I work as a machinist and might be able to make some.
4+3 has same thread as ZF6 shifter ; 9/16"-18 thread
B&M knobs appear to be 1/2' -20
In which case you would need a adapter with a female end to suit the shifter thread and a male thread to suit the new knob and in doing so would raise the knob height

Sounds like this is a major problem for people... What is this knob like? Switch in the top? what kind of threads etc.
I work as a machinist and might be able to make some.If there would be about half a dozen or so that need them it might be worth the time to set up and program the CNC
They would have to be a round , Oval and/or tapered type.
Glenn

the knob is a simple screw on one, but the thread size seems to be the problem, its a bit larger then a "standard" knob. I havent had mine off to look as I didnt want to do it untilli had the correct parts. The problem with the 87-88 is the OD button is on top of the knob. its alot like the auto knob except the top button is more of a hinge type. it doesnt push straight down, it has a couple "C" style clips at hte back and then 2 more at the front that attach to a WIRE "T" the "T" pushs the OD switch which is farther down the shifter.

the button basicly is a hinge type button, the back never goes down, but hte front does. Very hard to explain, and unfortnalty the black knob is also hard to take a picture of too.

the problem with all New aftermarket knobs is they do not have the Nubs (sorry dont know a better word) that the back 2 "C" clips attach too.

the other Problem with an Aftermarket knob. The knob screws on and has a KEY that locks it from turning in the top. SO a normal shift knob wont work. Of course a nut under the knob would work, but it would have to be pretty thin and small as the Reverse lock out is under the knob.

It just is so sad I can buy almost any part to make my interior nicer, but that ugly old knob is somthing I cant do anything with.

I would be glad to see if I could get you some info if you are interested. But it might be a bit (we have like 6 feet of snow here and my car is behind a huge drift in a garage) till I can get you a knob.

but the thread size seems to be the problem, its a bit larger then a "standard" knob.I would be glad to see if I could get you some info if you are interested.
;squint: I have noted the 4+3 thread size in the post above .
If you were to relocate the O/d button you can use any knob to suit a later ZF6 car

It just is so sad I can buy almost any part to make my interior nicer, but that ugly old knob is somthing I cant do anything with.
There have never been any aftermarket knobs to suit.
Last time genuine 4+3 knobs were available was in 2002 when someone was selling a collection of NOS C4 parts ones on eBay.Knobs went for $200 ea

On my ZF I seldom use the knob, makes the shifter to long. I take ahold of the shaft just below the revers lockout lever.Been thinking of a simple way to shorten the shifter.

Glenn

;squint: I have noted the 4+3 thread size in the post above .

sorry left page up overnight and replied didnt refresh and see you had replied with size :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom