Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

manual to an automatic?

I talked to a local vette guy here and he is really trying to talk me out of switching to manual... he says to put the new shifter in I will have to cut out my tunnel/floor pan to allow for the longer shifter, also he said it is considerably different dimensions, which I would think only affects driveshaft which i would be changing anyway. Also he told me to get the pedal assembly out (DarkShark78) I would have to use a torch... hmmm... i hate when people rain on my parade... on the flip side tho, I got to drive a 77 TPI 700R4 vette today... and that is exactly where i want to be... vroooom... haha

klb

Let me do some checking. I'll be back on late tonite.

Mike

KLB,
I'm not going advise you on which set-up to use.....that's your decision. I currently have two vettes disassembled for customers, a 68 4 spd and a 74 auto so here are the facts:
The trans tunnels are identical in shape and size.
The hole for the automatic shifter is slightly larger than the 4 spd.
You need to make one hole for the shifter cable.
The pedal assemblies unbolt, no torch needed.
Only mod I see will be the trans crossmember. Yours is welded in.
Get one from an auto car and have the brackets welded on. Not a big deal.

Mike

Hey Mike I definitly appreciate your help, I love this place because I can always get an un-biased opinion.... My vette guy is coming up today and I am going to have to make some decisions... I want a 700R4 but, I need to make a fix right now because my shifter needs replaced (old bent up won't shift smooth at all)... also I am putting into the shop to fix the oil leak (rear main seal)... So I want to get all these pesky mechanical problems solved... new wheel bearings going in too (not something I want to do)... I've made the decision to go with TPI so that should keep me excited long enough that I can stick with the four speed? haha... there is alot on my plate right now and I've learned one thing, you gotta be patient when building a dream car... so maybe the tranny swap isn't in the plans now but by the end of the summer it will be! :cool

manual to an automatic

klb76

If you have not already done so, i would be interested in working out some sorta swap for your manual clutch setup,(pedals etc) i have a 1976 stingray automatic that i want to convert to a manual in the near future and id be more than willing to help you out!! let me know, i'll have them taken out for ya.

git r done borderbum

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom