Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

March Performance serpentine conversion kits

Tepot

Corvette
1974 Metalic Blue L-48 Coupe 4 speed
Hi guys,

I was looking at a kit from March performance, I was interested in the March Performance 21170 - March Performance Revolver-Style Track Serpentine Conversion Kits but it is selling for over 2000$ and I'm in Canada so that means even more expensive. Then I've found this one on summit.

It's another conversion kit, doesn't look as good but pretty decent for only 500$. It's the March Performance 22020 - March Performance Chevy Small Block Serpentine Conversion Kits.

Here's the link on summit : March Performance 22020 - March Performance Chevy Small Block Serpentine Conversion Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I've first seen the revolver kit installed on the project Stinkray on the Horsepower TV show. But they don't show a whole lot in the engine compartement. What I'm wondering is , Is this kit really worth it? With the space restriction we have under our cars, i'm wondering if we even gonna see this kit under the hood? Maybe the 500$ conversion kit would be better deal since we can't see the kit totaly.

Is there anyone who installed similar kits on their C3's? if so, Can you post pictures so I can see how it really looks installed under the hood.

Thanks
Daniel

Is there a specific problem you're expecting the conversion to solve? The only thing it's going to change is appearance.

:beer

I did a serpentine conversion on the big block I put in my car. After doing similar research and finding how expesnive products like March are. Mine certainly doesn't have the same "bling" effect, but it works really well, the belt is dead straight and I can get parts for it anywhere.

DSC02504.jpg

DSC02514.jpg

Is there a specific problem you're expecting the conversion to solve? The only thing it's going to change is appearance.

:beer
There is nothing I want to solve, Well one thing. I don't like the location of my power steering pump. can't get to it. I think with the converstion kit you can actually put the alternator on the other side. Also I'm getting a new engine and want my engine bay to be very clean and show looking. So YES appearance is important. but is this worth it. Not alot of room so is this gonna be noticable in a car show?

After looking at the link, I'm confused as to why it's a called a 'serpentine' kit.

Just gotta love their BS advertising: 'These performance pulleys will increase your engine by approximately 12-15 HP, depending on the accessories driven.'
:puke

That's false advertising! All they did was make new pulleys so they could run ribbed belts instead of V belts. Not serpentine at all. :puke

That kit is designed for a long water pump. Stay away from underdrive pulleys. When you slow down the accessories your headlights may dim at idle,your coolant will run hotter,and your power steering may not turn as easily as it does now.

Why not go with a later model factory set up? You can have the few parts powder coated if need to and still be $$$$ ahead and parts are very easy to get. Plus you get all the benefits of a serpentine system.

Hey Teapot, do some research, call March. You need to make sure that the pulleys line up. Are you running A/C? Can you run a long style water pump. If you're ok with eliminating the stock style cooling fan then alot of options open up.

BB serpentine system

Check out the site below. Car craft explains this pretty well and gives a list of part numbers needed.

You can purchase the whole sbc serp. kit with all the accessories (including the ac compressor) for under $800 at pace performance (part #12497698), or the BB serp. kit with all the accessories (including the ac compressor) Part #19172805 for just a little less ($770).

I am not sure if the BB kits brackets are cast iron or the the same as the sbc brackets (alum).
Also, I wonder if you do not need the KWIK adapter kit part #K10014 ($130) or BB crank pulley (march part #4351 for $80) if you go with the BB kit; AND most importantly.....will it fit under our hood.

I am ready to choose a serpentine system for my ZZ502 going into a 75 with auto, PS,PB,AC. Lots of the post covering this are a couple years old and it seems the products and options have changed a bit. It would be great to see more pics of the systems used and updates about them (if they would use the same system today or tried something different and why)
bigear.gif

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...vy_system.html

I did a serpentine conversion on the big block I put in my car. After doing similar research and finding how expesnive products like March are. Mine certainly doesn't have the same "bling" effect, but it works really well, the belt is dead straight and I can get parts for it anywhere.

DSC02504.jpg

DSC02514.jpg
Do you have a parts list for your setup? or just find xxxx year bigblock truck or car? Looks sharp!

Thanks, I used parts off an early 90's V6 S-10 pick up. You can use just about any small block set up, but some have the AC compressor and alt. switched. I used truck parts becuase they don't have the mounting for an AIR pump making this a cleaner set up in my opinion. I used the small block crank and waterpump pulleys too. I made the brackets to mount the serp stuff to the block. There have been alot of questions about this lately, so I went looking and I have a dxf file of the head brackets (there are also brackets available on ebay for using sb parts on a bb). I was able to get the crank pulley clearance because I had to modify my trans cross member, as I'm using a 2004r vs. the TH350. That basically brought the trans tail shaft down a couple of inches to get the pan level with the frame and the tilt got the pulley to clear. Since the BB sits forward of where the small block was by about 2 inches, it's tight, but I ended up with about 1/2-3/4" or so clearance. Plenty for a belt change and the pulley clears fine. I've got about $$300 in the set up, plus my time of course.

If you can use the file, send me an email, and I'll send it to you.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom