Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Maryland Front Tag? Dad Almost Arrested!

A

AimeeG

My father owns three corvettes- a 1964 Sting Ray, 1981, and the 50th Anniversary Corvette.

When he bought the 50th Edition the dealer told him that Corvette of America made a deal with the State of Maryland allowing 50th edition owners not have to display their front tag.

Six months ago he was pulled over by county police for the lack of tag. He explained to the officer what the dealer said and asked her to check before she ticketed him. She went to her car, came back and said sorry have a nice day.

Today, he was pulled over by City of Annapolis Police. The officer refused to check before he gave my Dad the citation. My Dad said he would not sign the citation since he was wrong. This ticked of the police officer and he then told my Dad the if he did not sign the ticket he would be arrested and his car would be impounded. (By the way this took an hour.) My Dad now has to go to court.

He went to the MVA and the dealership and was not able to get the right info. When he was driving home he noticed another Corvette in the neighborhood that also did not have front tags.

Does anyone know where I can get information about this agreement that will help my Dad in court? Thanks in advance!

I really doubt that this information is correct. I really don't think that they would make one model car exempt from the front tag law and would be very surprised if they did. A large number of Vette owners just refuse to put the front plate on the car. I really didn't want to give them any reason to pull me over, so I decided to go ahead and mount that ugly thing on the front of my C6.

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center! :CAC

When he bought the 50th Edition the dealer told him that Corvette of America made a deal with the State of Maryland allowing 50th edition owners not have to display their front tag.

I hope this is true, but I would be surprised. I do not know of any public official who could make such an exception for a law passed by the legislature.

It reminds me of the old question: "How do you know when a car salesman is lying?"

Answer, His lips are moving.

I have to agree with Jim (DRTH VTR). I cannot see a State government deciding to make an exception to a front plate requirement for one, and only, make of car. States tend to do things as "all or nothing" propositions: either everyone has to have a front plate, or no one has to have a front plate.

It's possible that in the incident you describe from 6 months ago, the officer simply let your father off with a warning rather than ticket him. You can't infer from that warning that no tickets will ever be issued for not having a front plate on your car.

There's no question about it- front plates are useless and (on a Corvette) utterly hideous looking. But if you don't want to have to worry about a ticket for not displaying a front plate, your only safe option is to have the car registered in a state which does not require a front licence plate.

:w
-Patrick

I have been looking for anything that could help your dad out here, but have so far come up only with a group that has created a petition. Most of their reasons for getting rid of the front plate sounds kinda flakey to me, but the last point about other states that have taken away the front plate is a good one "However, in the 20 or more states that have abolished the front license plate requirement, there is no evidence of a decline in public safety as a result of the plate removal.". Good luck to you and welcome to the Corvette Action Center, tell your dad to join, sounds like he would have plenty of knowledge to share here with the forum.

Welcome, I have to agree with the other posts-I'd say dads going get the max. 20yrs and a $150,000 fine. Sorry !

Signing the citation is merely a "promise to appear", not an admission of guilt. Are there any maximum security prisons close to your house...will make visiting him easier.

I know some people have seen the Big Mouth air dam, so you may have noticed the mounting instructions. Underneath the front fascia is the air dam and as the cars are typically bottom breathers, note the metal rails where the big mouth is bolted to.

Now my question is this could not some form of an angled (1/2, ¾ inch) sculpted brushed aluminum, or chrome bracket. Think “U” shaped which would bolt to the same brackets the Big mouth would use be made which would connect to these holes and stick almost straight out and even with the front of the bottom of the fascia. Only extruding about one inch pass the front of the fascia in the front. The tag would be mounted using the holes on the bottom of the tag and not the top

Think of this <[ but instead of pointed the < would be flattened where the point is for the width

Maybe this will help :) the ( is the part sticking out past the fascia, the new tag mount. This is the front of the fascia representation of the car :

To comment on the other, I believe your dad should just signed the ticket. It would have probably been much cheaper in the long run. There is not any one brand car exclusion I have ever heard of for tag mounting.

I live in Maryland and there is no exemption for not having a front tag. I have seen other Vettes owners not run their tags - they are either paying the fine each time, or just lucky. There is an internet petition floating around (I signed it a couple of years ago) to get Maryland legislators to change the law, but it hasn't happened yet. Your dad should just put the front tag on the car to avoid unneeded headaches and fines.

:CAC

IBut if you don't want to have to worry about a ticket for not displaying a front plate, your only safe option is to have the car registered in a state which does not require a front licence plate.

:w
-Patrick

Yes officer, I know that my drivers license is from this state and my car is registered in a different state...but I can explain.

Remo:cool

Yes officer, I know that my drivers license is from this state and my car is registered in a different state...but I can explain.

Remo:cool
Your Dad will probably be out in 5 to 10 and by then the front plate issue could be resolved there. :L

Life is good in two plate Illinois ! I live in two states and have my primary residence in NC where there is no front plate. Now tell me lawmakers and taxpayers, doesn't this look better..
VettePics65118111.jpg

I can't imagine any state that requires a front tag giving any exemption for one model not to have to run one! Tell your Dad to move to Okla where you don't need a front plate!:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom